Very unhappy with fingerprint sensor

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
we are dealing with first generation here. Let's go back to the note 4 FPS, that was a disaster for a lot, but they improved it over the years and I suspect the same will happen here. This is part of the game with first generation technology, even if it's on the almighty note series. I watched all the same complaints on this with the s10, there's nothing new here.

It works for me, is it as fast, probably not.. But really the speed difference is not going to be the end of the world.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
There is no reason for a bad FPS on the note 10 I would hope an update is coming to us and fix this problem.
Which firmware are you on? The ASH4 update purportedly improved the FPS. It works pretty well for me. It's not perfect, but it's at aleast as good as previous phones' secure unlock methods.

Dleex84

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
fps does need work. note 9 requires 0 effort. maybe it's because I installed the whitestone dome glass cover? I never tried the fps without it.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Those of you saying it's bad for you, if you're pressing and holding waiting for the screen to unlock, I think that's the wrong way.

Mine works so much better if I simply press firmly and release quickly, and that's with a screen protector.

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the FPS sucks overall with Samsung. The facial recognition is flawless for me. Is this a deal breaker, absolutely not. I am very happy with the performance of the device...

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I think the FPS sucks overall with Samsung. The facial recognition is flawless for me. Is this a deal breaker, absolutely not. I am very happy with the performance of the device...
I couldn't be happier with it. One short tap and it unlocks.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I didn't like the FPS on the S10+ at all, but the Note 10+ works a lot better. It's still not the greatest, but better. I watch a lot of reviews say that the Samsung FPS technology is better than what's used on the Oneplus 7 pro. That may be true, but it sure doesn't work better from my experience.

Flytetymex

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
It has taken every ounce of strength and patience not to smash this phone against the wall. I just turned in my pixel 3 XL and that fingerprint sensor (along with the Pixel 2) was just flawless. It helped that by the time my phone was out of my pocket, it was already unlocked. This one is just ridiculous. It completely ruins the flow of things and negates the otherwise pretty good usability of the phone.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Seems the Note 10+'s ultrasonic FPS works slightly better than the S10+'s ultrasonic fingerprint sensor that was on my S10+. So far, I'm impressed. Seems like Samsung made some software tweaks to it to make it better.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine is horrible with a glass protector over it. Don't know why they don't just use the same that was in the note 9. It was definitely easier and better

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Mine is horrible with a glass protector over it. Don't know why they don't just use the same that was in the note 9. It was definitely easier and better

Probably because people were wanting the next generation which is the sonic scanner.

Some didn't like that they couldn't use the fps on the Note 9 if it was laid flat etc.

reintgenrc

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
There are a bunch of YouTube videos showing tips on how to get it to work 99% of the time. Like registering your finger twice. Holding the phone the way you would normally do and then registering the finger.
Just tried this method and it dramatically improved the speed and reliability of the on screen fingerprint reader. I made sure to do my second set of thumbs at the approximate angle I would be using it most. It makes a world of a difference.

dj prospect

May 3, 2019
Visit site
I've had nothing but an excellent experience with the finger sensor. It works perfect every time. There lies a problem some where. First try erasing any fingerprints on file that you have on it ready and carefully try it again. If you are still having an issue try reformatting your phone make sure you always back up your phone to your Samsung Cloud, and also Smart Switch on to your micro SD card, reformatting your phone is never an issue when you restore it, it all goes back to how you had it 100%. If after resetting (reformatting) your phone, it's still an issue go back to where you bought it. All Samsung phones come with a warranty, so you can contact Samsung customer service via online chat, and follow there directions.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
When I'm setting mine up I also set them up as I hold the phone and I also set mine up touching the four corners of the scanner ie off Centre so my unlock still triggers if I hit the sensor off Centre.

I set up x2 scans of the same thumb too.

Some people also set up one fingerprint scan using both thumbs etc.

Now a quick hold and release works 99% of the time.

jjb415

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Just tried this method and it dramatically improved the speed and reliability of the on screen fingerprint reader. I made sure to do my second set of thumbs at the approximate angle I would be using it most. It makes a world of a difference.

It worked quite nicely for me too. Thanks to everyone who contributed to making this thread so helpful. :)

Beth Hahn

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
The weird thing for me is I had two different s10 devices that I wanted to Chuck out the window bc it frustrated me so much that the fps wouldn't work, so I just went to face unlock. This note 10+ however worked flawlessly out of the box for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia