For those who want the second GB update/patch

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
[ method I ] Check for updates

1. From the Home screen, Press Menu key.
2. Tap Settings and scroll down the screen
3. Tap About Phone and tap System software updates
4. On the System software update screen, tap Check now.
5. If any software update message shows up, please follow the on-screen instruction.

[ method II ] Reconnecting to the Google server.

1. Open up your phone's dialer.
2. Key in *#*#2432546#*#*
3. If any software update message shows up, please follow the on-screen instruction

[ method III ] Force phone to check for update.

Please manually change the date on your phone to one year from today. This will trigger an automatic check in with the update servers and you will get the appropriate update.

1. Menu > Settings > Date and Time
2. Un-check Automatic to prevent the date and time from automatically updating
3. Change the date to one year from today (under Set Date)
4. Go back to the main settings and select About Phone > Check For Update and follow the prompts

Option 3 just worked for me. If they really have stopped pushing the update time may be of the essence before they actually pull the file. Good luck!

UPDATE: I am now running 4.08.605.2 ... Market says Verizon and screen size is back to 3.7"

FYI: This list is modified from http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...rolling-out-as-early-as-today/#comment-126480

Last edited:

cheeseman057

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Option 3 works for me but it does not reboot for me, I have to cancel and when I go back to the ota it says I need more space for it to install the update which is not right because I have a sufficient amount of space left on my phone.

Reactions: kgoodyman

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Option 3 works for me but it does not reboot for me, I have to cancel and when I go back to the ota it says I need more space for it to install the update which is not right because I have a sufficient amount of space left on my phone.

Wild guess here but: Just because you have enough space for the download file does not mean you have enough for Android to decompress and install the update.

timdgibson

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site

I got this same message (w/out going through any of these options earlier tonight).

Now none of these options work for me. In fact it won't let me change the date to 1 year from today.

Oh and I should have enough space. Internal Storage has 5.69 GB available and Phone memory has 405 MB available.

Tim

Last edited:

donut

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I got this same message (w/out going through any of these options earlier tonight).

Now none of these options work for me. In fact it won't let me change the date to 1 year from today.

Oh and I should have enough space. Internal Storage has 5.69 GB available and Phone memory has 405 MB available.

Tim

I changed it to a month ahead and it worked. I have similar storage and it says that I don't have enough either.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
How much space do I need to have? I got that not-enough-space message also and can't seem to get the update back.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

Tim

You have to un-check the option for Automatic at the top of the Date & Time page in settings before you change the date.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I've got over 500MB memory and over 6gb internal storage and still got the low space error.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
How much space do I need to have? I got that not-enough-space message also and can't seem to get the update back.

I've got over 500MB memory and over 6gb internal storage and still got the low space error.

Which update are you trying to download the big one of the small one? If the big one you need enough to not only download the file but also about 3x that in order to have the space to decompress the update file. The 500 memory is probably where it wants to install it. Internal storage is media storage if I remember right.

engineer2001

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the big update from last night, and the small one just failed. It said it had insufficient space to install. I moved everything that I can afford to lose to SD to free up space and did the checkin... Nothing. Then, I set the date to one month from now and checked in again and got the notification that it was going to install after reboot. It never rebooted. I turned the phone off and back on, and nothing. Now, changing the date and checking in doesn't do anything, and system updates says I am up to date, even though I am still on the older version. Oh well...

donut

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the big update from last night, and the small one just failed. It said it had insufficient space to install. I moved everything that I can afford to lose to SD to free up space and did the checkin... Nothing. Then, I set the date to one month from now and checked in again and got the notification that it was going to install after reboot. It never rebooted. I turned the phone off and back on, and nothing. Now, changing the date and checking in doesn't do anything, and system updates says I am up to date, even though I am still on the older version. Oh well...

Same thing happened to me!

SirenStella

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Ditto.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The instructions (which originated from someone with HTC) said one YEAR not one month that may make a difference.

Also, you may have messed it up by not waiting as long as it takes for the phone to actually reboot a lot of people get scared of bricking their phones and don't wait long enough for upgrade scripts to work.

SirenStella

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
The instructions (which originated from someone with HTC) said one YEAR not one month that may make a difference.

Also, you may have messed it up by not waiting as long as it takes for the phone to actually reboot a lot of people get scared of bricking their phones and don't wait long enough for upgrade scripts to work.

Even with Automatic unchecked - it changes the year back to 2011 within 2 seconds.

SirenStella

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmm sounds like there may be something wrong with your phone :( Battery pull and try again but this may be one of those times where a root canal of a FDR is needed :(

Odd, it let me change the month without reverting back to present date.

Well, the 8MB update came through again, so I'm just letting it do it's thing... It's said "Rebooting now..." for 11 minutes so far.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Which update are you trying to download the big one of the small one? If the big one you need enough to not only download the file but also about 3x that in order to have the space to decompress the update file. The 500 memory is probably where it wants to install it. Internal storage is media storage if I remember right.

The little one, I got the big one last night. I got the little one and got the low space error. I moved a few more apps, as much as I could, but it only gave me another 20mb. Now when I try to force the update it fails to reboot. :(

engineer2001

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Right, the year pops right back to 2011, even with the network time box unchecked.

I restarted my phone (bottom option in power button menu) and went to the system updates area again and saw the OTA download. It finished downloading and said it would reboot to install. It counted down to zero but never rebooted.

I waited all this time and finally did another restart. Nothing... And now it says I am up to date again, even though I am still on last night's OTA version. This is lame. I had more than enough space to start with (250+ MB free). No idea why it failed.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Odd, it let me change the month without reverting back to present date.

Well, the 8MB update came through again, so I'm just letting it do it's thing... It's said "Rebooting now..." for 11 minutes so far.

Mine just goes back to telling me my system is up to date, but it's clear nothing has installed.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I wish I knew what to tell you guys but it should not revert back to 2011 until you recheck the Automatic box.... for me it didn't even do it automatically for me when I checked the box. I had to set it back manually.