Button issues on my Fascinate.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, for the past week or 2 I've noticed my fascinate randomly acting as if the back button is being pushed, it even vibrates as if it has been selected. Also the menu button has done the same. And at times when this occurs it does not allow me to put the phone to sleep it instantly lights up again. The only way I've really been able to get around this is by pressing the back button a few times or so then putting the phone back to sleep. The other thing I've noticed pertains to when I do anything on the browser that involves typing since the DL09 update the first two letters capitalize instead of just the very first letter. Wondering if anyone has some insight on these issues, help would be greatly appreciated.

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
i have been having the same problom everyonce in awhile. what rom and kernel are you using and have you tried a battery pull?

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
ROM and Kernel are the standard ones they should be my phone is stock non-rooted kernel version is 2.6.29.. Yeah I have done a battery pull every once in a while, but the problems seem to eventually come back.. it's very sparatic. I'm researching a lot about rooting it looks like something I may be interested in attempting.. But nonetheless this very quirky bug or issue whatever it may be is annoying when it does happen. Especially when it starts doing it when I'm in the middle of doing something on my phone.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Alright, thank you.. I'll give it a look and see if I'm interested. Sounds like rooting gives you a lot more customization and tweaking which I love to do in my spare time lol. However, is rooting something that you think could fix the weird back/menu button issue I have from time to time.. I have tried to figure out reasons why it's doing it and come up with nothing.. My best guess is that maybe the case on my phone is inadvertantly activating the buttons at times, but it seems unlikely.

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Alright, thank you.. I'll give it a look and see if I'm interested. Sounds like rooting gives you a lot more customization and tweaking which I love to do in my spare time lol. However, is rooting something that you think could fix the weird back/menu button issue I have from time to time.. I have tried to figure out reasons why it's doing it and come up with nothing.. My best guess is that maybe the case on my phone is inadvertantly activating the buttons at times, but it seems unlikely.

is the case going over the buttons at all?

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
No, doesn't seem to be. It's a standard black silicone case (verizon brand). I personally think it fits the phone perfectly, but you just never know if there's some adverse way that it is some how triggering those buttons, I'm going to test the phone out for a day or two without the case to see if I occur the issues without it... Best way to eliminate that theory I guess lol.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I think I actually started noticing it before the DL09 update. The only other thing I wonder is if it's just faulty sensory on parts of the touchscreen.. which would lead me to believe getting a replacement device is about the only real fix.

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I think I actually started noticing it before the DL09 update. The only other thing I wonder is if it's just faulty sensory on parts of the touchscreen.. which would lead me to believe getting a replacement device is about the only real fix.

let me ask you this what are you doing when this happens, what launch are you using, what apps are running ie are multitasking.?

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
It's occured when using the browser, for instance while scrolling down on forums.. It's occured while playing the Live Hold'em poker game app. And it has occured while doing absolutely nothing on my phone. I'll just be holding it and all of a sudden I feel it do the quick vibrate several times as if a button has been hit multiple times. And how I know that the menu button has been accessed is due to the small options that pop up at the bottom of the screen.. I believe the menu thing has only occured 2-3 times... But the back button happens much more. I've also shaken my phone gently when this has occured and that seems to make it occur more rapidly. Like I said I am starting to have a strong feeling it is sensor related within the phone, but I am by no means an expert on the matter!

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, good plan.. I have a buddy that works for a private verizon retail store, have tried getting ahold of him to ask if he knows anything whatsoever, but he's one busy guy! I'll just go back to the corporate store I bought it from and let them know what's up and if they suggest replacing it by all means they can take this and give me a new one... Warranties are a great thing!

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
The other thing that leads me to believe this is a internal phone issue is that you don't find really any information about similar problems from a lot of Fascinate users.. So I highly doubt it's a bug, really has to be something inside the phone not working properly.. I think we've got this narrowed down pretty well.. Thank you a lot for the help I feel we broke some ground!

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
go do that just dont say anything about root or flashing because they will say u caused the issue since it "voids" the warrenty

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh I know lol, I have not rooted or flashed my phone whatsoever anyway so in other words my phone is completely stock still besides apps I've downloaded, which I don't believe count towards voiding the warranty? That'd be screwed up!

fire n ice

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Its definately a prob with the phone itself or maybe a modem issue (if that affects the soft keys in any way). I've been having this issue as well for a couple of weeks. Since dl09, i've been running blackhole rom and adryn's 12/30 kernel

Sent from my SCH-I500

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Its definately a prob with the phone itself or maybe a modem issue (if that affects the soft keys in any way). I've been having this issue as well for a couple of weeks. Since dl09, i've been running blackhole rom and adryn's 12/30 kernel

Sent from my SCH-I500

did u flash it right and use the right kernels and rom for dl09

mlpjunior

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem on my Fascinate. It's not terribly frequent for me. Maybe once every 3 days.

More annoying for me is that my phone has been freezing up every few days for the last couple of months. The only temporary fix is a battery pull, which wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have a hard plastic case on the phone. Every time I take it off I feel like I'm going to break the case, the phone, or both.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Same issue with the back button. Seems to be another "special feature" of dl09. Never had the issue before the dl09 downgrade....I mean update.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty