For a while it was the hottest device in the rumor mill...

DougD84

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why people blame Verizon, like they're holding back an awesome, bug-free phone, just to hurt people? If HTC had their crap together, got the phone in Verizon's hands with no bugs or only small bugs, and gave them time to test it to make sure it was good, we would have it already.

There surely is no "master plan" to manipulate the market by releasing crappy phones or delaying phones until better ones come out on Verizon or on different carriers. That would be shooting themselves in the foot. I would say 100% of the blame for any delays would fall on HTC's doorstep.

I respect your opinion, but allow me to refute your claim that this is all HTC's fault. Let me take for example the Stratosphere (known as the Epic 4G on Sprint) which launched today. Here we have a platform that has already been successfully released and has not changed any of the hardware save for Verizon's LTE radio. It has the same processor (1Ghz Hummingbird) and the same amount of RAM (512 Mb). You're actually going to tell me that the reason it took OVER A YEAR to release the SAME phone on Verizon was because Samsung couldn't integrate a different LTE radio into an existing platform? I don't think so.

Verizon not only should share the blame for a majority of the delays relating to device releases, but probably is responsible for 90% of them. As mentioned in the posts above, Verizon has this aching need to load a crapload of bloatware on to all of their phones (and I honestly don't believe if the G-Nex does come to Verizon that they won't try to get their grubby hands all over it with bloatware) and also as a fellow poster mentioned, inventory of the T-bolt and Charge are probably still in the 10's of thousands. We'll probably see one more price drop before even a sniff of the Vigor or G-Nex launches.

What I'm pissed about most is Verizon's utter lack of wanting to be the best phone company they can be. It almost seems like they're content to sit on their laurels and release devices that even MetroPCS wouldn't have the audacity to release. The DROID Bionic (and before you cry foul and try to take my head off I'm only referring to the fact that it took almost 9 months to release a phone who's specs were already BEHIND or PAR with competition that had launched months before)? The Pantech Breakout? The Samsung Stratosphere? They're not even placeholder phones. They're outdated technology that is being sold at double the price they should and we lemmings (I include myself because I do love my Verizon service) follow in lock-step.

Verizon customers and especially we tech-heads finally were able to sniff some "Sense" of cutting edge technology in the Vigor and a sublime "Ice Cream Sandwich" experience in the Galaxy Nexus and yet here we sit; patiently waiting for an announcement that doesn't seem to be coming even in the near future. It's frustrating because we all pay our good hard-earned money to be on the best network and would really like to take advantage of that speed and reliability with hardware that is competitive with the other phone companies offerings.

That's why I'm so frustrated with the lack of news on the Vigor. At least with the G-Nex, Google and Samsung are taking it upon themselves to promote their creation. I just don't think a formal announcement of the device relates to an imminent release. It might be several weeks after Google unveils its new flagship before we will even be able to hold the device in the store.

As for the Vigor, who knows when we'll see any news. I'm just hoping it's sooner rather than later. This upgrade is starting to burn a hole in my pocket and my patience with Verizon is starting to wear thin.

Reactions: aaCharley

Lemonheater

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Thunderbolt is currently on sale for $150, so release could be soon.

Everyone needs to chill out. I don't think either company has a strict deadline, just getting it out before December is my bet.

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Vigor will be here. If you're worried about another phone having better specs than the Vigor when it is released, then you will be upgrading your phone every 4 months for the rest of eternity.

Alkajak

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Having an insanely tough time deciding between this and the Amaze 4G.

This has the new Sense and has a 720p display while the Amaze is.. Well, it's out. And it has a better front camera.

I've heard nothing official about the Vigor in Canada, and the Amaze is finally being released a month later in Canada.

Not sure if I want to wait, or if it is even worth the wait at this point. They are both great phones and are both definitely getting ICS.

Oh right, and the Vigor comes with Beats headphones or something. Gimmicky, but it's still there.

Any help between the two devices would be appreciated. Or any other HTC device that is better. Just keep in mind, I will not be switching phones for 2 years.

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Six months later there are still issues with the TBolt. Considering how slow they are to fix the problems I'm not so sure the Vigor will be any better. Its not bad phone when it works, but it was the months when it didn't work properly that were very frustrating. my new new phone will come after the reviews and in and people have had time to surface the problems.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Six months later there are still issues with the TBolt. Considering how slow they are to fix the problems I'm not so sure the Vigor will be any better. Its not bad phone when it works, but it was the months when it didn't work properly that were very frustrating. my new new phone will come after the reviews and in and people have had time to surface the problems.

I posted this in another forum at length but the jist of it was, that I think that the issues with the Thunderbolt has more to do with Verizon than with HTC.

The Thunderbolt started out as a 3G only device to be released in Fall 2010. I think it's main selling points were going to be 4.3" screen (1st HTC on VZW with that), FF Cam, and SVDO (ability to talk & text at the same time - to counter AT&T's ads slamming Verizon). Basically it would've been a device with the Thunderbolt's features, minus LTE, so think reliability and performance of the Incredible 2.

At Verizon's behest, they reworked the internals completely to equip it with LTE. The reason being that Verizon wanted to wow everyone at CES 2011 by stating that all of their OEMS (HTC, Moto, Samsung, & LG) had LTE phones. This came after previously stating that Verizon wouldn't see LTE smartphones until mid- late 2011. When pushing up the timetable 6 months and having the first device released completely reworked, you're going to have issues.

Look at HTC's other releases. None that I can recall had the issues that the Thunderbolt did. Sure they had some bugs here and there, but nothing like the Thunderbolt. The EVO3D and Sensation released with very few issues because they released when intended and as intended (as far as what the final device would be).

It's no different than if you had just finished up something at work that took 3 weeks to finish and your boss comes in and wants it completely redone in 5 days. Even if you get it done on time, the shorter time given to finish it means that there are going to be issues, things missed, etc. HTC can put out good phones, but when you move the release up 6 months (for LTE smartphones), you're going to have issues, and the fault lies with the ones who moved up the timetable, not the ones trying to accomodate them.

As far as it being 6 months later and issues not being resolved, if the issues are because of hardware, more often than not software will not resolve it. And I agree, people should wait until the reviews are in. The fact that we didn't with the Thunderbolt is kinda our fault. The first run of anything is bound to have issues. A completely new tech will have it's growing pains, but that's what early adapters will run into. That's the cost on being on the bleeding edge of technology. Every possible scenario cannot be thought out in a lab, so problems will make it to the final product. So this is where shortening the time for R&D really comes into play and why moving up the timetable makes for a bad situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: milkshed27

rickt1152

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes I think the entire Thunderbolt issues have been blown totally out of proportion.

Other then the reboot issue that took too long to fix, most of the other issues were slow delivery of third party software, Netflix, Skype, etc. Post MR2, the phone was rock solid.

I'm running the short lived GB ota and it is great. VM notifications broke, but otherwise not a complaint whatsoever.

No phone is perfect and the whole rush to make this an lte device makes sense as the source of some frustration.

I posted this in another forum at length but the jist of it was, that I think that the issues with the Thunderbolt has more to do with Verizon than with HTC.

The Thunderbolt started out as a 3G only device to be released in Fall 2010. I think it's main selling points were going to be 4.3" screen (1st HTC on VZW with that), FF Cam, and SVDO (ability to talk & text at the same time - to counter AT&T's ads slamming Verizon). Basically it would've been a device with the Thunderbolt's features, minus LTE, so think reliability and performance of the Incredible 2.

At Verizon's behest, they reworked the internals completely to equip it with LTE. The reason being that Verizon wanted to wow everyone at CES 2011 by stating that all of their OEMS (HTC, Moto, Samsung, & LG) had LTE phones. This came after previously stating that Verizon wouldn't see LTE smartphones until mid- late 2011. When pushing up the timetable 6 months and having the first device released completely reworked, you're going to have issues.

Look at HTC's other releases. None that I can recall had the issues that the Thunderbolt did. Sure they had some bugs here and there, but nothing like the Thunderbolt. The EVO3D and Sensation released with very few issues because they released when intended and as intended (as far as what the final device would be).

It's no different than if you had just finished up something at work that took 3 weeks to finish and your boss comes in and wants it completely redone in 5 days. Even if you get it done on time, the shorter time given to finish it means that there are going to be issues, things missed, etc. HTC can put out good phones, but when you move the release up 6 months (for LTE smartphones), you're going to have issues, and the fault lies with the ones who moved up the timetable, not the ones trying to accomodate them.

As far as it being 6 months later and issues not being resolved, if the issues are because of hardware, more often than not software will not resolve it. And I agree, people should wait until the reviews are in. The fact that we didn't with the Thunderbolt is kinda our fault. The first run of anything is bound to have issues. A completely new tech will have it's growing pains, but that's what early adapters will run into. That's the cost on being on the bleeding edge of technology. Every possible scenario cannot be thought out in a lab, so problems will make it to the final product. So this is where shortening the time for R&D really comes into play and why moving up the timetable makes for a bad situation.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

I never thought of it that way...good point?

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I respect your opinion, but allow me to refute your claim that this is all HTC's fault. Let me take for example the Stratosphere (known as the Epic 4G on Sprint) which launched today. Here we have a platform that has already been successfully released and has not changed any of the hardware save for Verizon's LTE radio. It has the same processor (1Ghz Hummingbird) and the same amount of RAM (512 Mb). You're actually going to tell me that the reason it took OVER A YEAR to release the SAME phone on Verizon was because Samsung couldn't integrate a different LTE radio into an existing platform? I don't think so.

Verizon not only should share the blame for a majority of the delays relating to device releases, but probably is responsible for 90% of them. As mentioned in the posts above, Verizon has this aching need to load a crapload of bloatware on to all of their phones (and I honestly don't believe if the G-Nex does come to Verizon that they won't try to get their grubby hands all over it with bloatware) and also as a fellow poster mentioned, inventory of the T-bolt and Charge are probably still in the 10's of thousands. We'll probably see one more price drop before even a sniff of the Vigor or G-Nex launches.

What I'm pissed about most is Verizon's utter lack of wanting to be the best phone company they can be. It almost seems like they're content to sit on their laurels and release devices that even MetroPCS wouldn't have the audacity to release. The DROID Bionic (and before you cry foul and try to take my head off I'm only referring to the fact that it took almost 9 months to release a phone who's specs were already BEHIND or PAR with competition that had launched months before)? The Pantech Breakout? The Samsung Stratosphere? They're not even placeholder phones. They're outdated technology that is being sold at double the price they should and we lemmings (I include myself because I do love my Verizon service) follow in lock-step.

Verizon customers and especially we tech-heads finally were able to sniff some "Sense" of cutting edge technology in the Vigor and a sublime "Ice Cream Sandwich" experience in the Galaxy Nexus and yet here we sit; patiently waiting for an announcement that doesn't seem to be coming even in the near future. It's frustrating because we all pay our good hard-earned money to be on the best network and would really like to take advantage of that speed and reliability with hardware that is competitive with the other phone companies offerings.

That's why I'm so frustrated with the lack of news on the Vigor. At least with the G-Nex, Google and Samsung are taking it upon themselves to promote their creation. I just don't think a formal announcement of the device relates to an imminent release. It might be several weeks after Google unveils its new flagship before we will even be able to hold the device in the store.

As for the Vigor, who knows when we'll see any news. I'm just hoping it's sooner rather than later. This upgrade is starting to burn a hole in my pocket and my patience with Verizon is starting to wear thin.

You are way off base - The Breakout and Stratosphere are good mid level devices ($99 and $149 on contract) with LTE. Not everyone wants to spend $299 ON CONTRACT for a new phone. Not everyone wants a 4.3 (or larger) brick to carry around with them. Everyone doesn't need a dual core, 1 GB monster to surf the web, check e-mail and Facebook and maybe listen to music or run a few apps. 6 months ago these would have been top line specs on any carrier and most people don't know the difference between Froyo, GB, and ICS. They just want their phone to work and do what they bought it for.

materhead007

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I published this in another forum in more detail however the jist from it was, which i believe that the problems using the Thunderbolt has more related to Verizon compared to HTC.

The Thunderbolt began out like a 3rd generation only device to become launched in Fall 2010. I believe it's primary selling points would be 4.3" screen (first HTC on VZW with this), FF Cam, and SVDO (capability to talk & text simultaneously - to counter AT&T's advertisements slamming Verizon). Essentially it would have been a tool using the Thunderbolt's features, minus LTE, so think reliability and gratifaction from the Incredible 2.

At Verizon's behest, they reworked the internals completely to equip it with LTE. This is because Verizon desired to wow everybody at CES 2011 by proclaiming that all their OEMS (HTC, Talkabout, Samsung, & LG) had LTE phones. This came after formerly proclaiming that Verizon wouldn't see LTE mobile phones until mid- late 2011. When pushing in the timetable 6 several weeks and getting the very first device launched completely reworked, you are likely to have issues.

Take a look at HTC's other releases. None will be able to recall had the problems the Thunderbolt did. Sure they'd some bugs in some places, but nothing beats the Thunderbolt. The EVO3D and Sensation launched with very couple of issues simply because they launched when intended so that as intended (so far as exactly what the final device could be).

It's the same as should you have had just appeared something at the office that required 3 days to complete as well as your boss is available in and wants it entirely remade in five days. Even when you take action promptly, the shorter time provided to finish this means that you will find likely to be issues, things skipped, etc. HTC can released good phones, however when you move the discharge up 6 several weeks (for LTE mobile phones), you are likely to have issues, and also the fault lies with those who increased the timetable, not those attempting to accomodate them.

So far as it being 6 several weeks later and issues not resolved, when the issues are due to hardware, generally software won't resolve it. And To be sure, people should hold back until the comments are in. The truth that we did not using the Thunderbolt is kinda our fault. The very first run of anything is certain to have issues. A totally new tech may have it's growing pains, but that is what early plugs will encounter. This is the cost on standing on the bleeding fringe of technology. Every possible scenario can't be considered inside a lab, so problems will reach the ultimate product. Making this where shortening time for R&D really is necessary and why upgrading the timetable creates a poor situation.

I have the motorola DroidX2 and have been satisfied somewhat with the performance of the phone aside from not having a front camera and some other minor issues. I have a upgrade that hasbeen up and waiting for some time now but waiting for these three superphones to come out I do like the build of the motorola and have heard good things about the build and toughness of htc phones but I do want to get upgrades so I would like some advice or opinions on what to do please I am all about speed but I do consider battery life to be a very important option in mind as well thanks to any and all opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa