Can I get some help with a battery problem?

A

AC Question

Problem with battery

Hey,

I upgraded to the Nexus 6 in May this year. For the first 2 months it's been absolutely fine, but recently the battery is absolutely terrible. Notice how I didn't say battery life.

It came with Lollipop 5.1, but I upgraded to 5.1.1 when I got offered it on the phone.

Basically, what happens is, completely randomly, my phone will just shut off as if the battery has been pulled. I don't get the Powering Off warning appear. It just dies. It happened this morning with 92% battery life. Sometimes it happens during a phone call, other times it's when it's just sat there doing nothing in standby.

Other times, I will get the Powering Off warning appear, but this happens when there is still plenty of charge (it happened yesterday with something like 84% battery life) - it drops to 0% in seconds.

I've even had it happen while the phone is booting up. Everytime this happens, when I plug it and turn it on, I get the 'Android is starting... Optimising App x of x' process, which take 10 or so minutes.

I have tried:

A standard factory reset (from Settings)
A bootloader factory reset
A bootloader cache wipe
A battery reset (as advised by Motorola - instructions below)

Battery reset:

With the phone ON and unplugged from wall charger, press POWER for 20 seconds until the phone force restarts. When the phone has restarted, connect the wall charger. Charge the phone to 100% and leave it connected to charge for a couple of hours after it has reached 100%.

Funnily enough, since doing this battery reset procedure, I think the problem has become worse. When it started it tended to do it with lower battery (40-50%, so still no low battery). And as above, it's started doing it with really high battery left.

One thing I haven't tried yet is to a new, fresh install of 5.1.1 which has supposedly fixed problems similar to mine (the Optimising app x of x at bootup) - is this something worth doing or just get it replaced?

Thanks

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Problem with battery

Welcome to the forums.
A fresh install of 5.1.1 is a good thing to try.
If it does not work, it sounds like you may have got a dud, which does happen in any mass produced product.
Have you had your carrier check it out?

Mav. :cool:

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Problem with battery

Had an autorotate problem with my first Nexus 6 Verizon. Tried about everything the OP did with no success. There are writeups about the chip frying the accelerometer. Might be doing something to your charging circuit. Verizon sent me a new phone overnight after a phone consult. So far so good. Don't hesitate and get another one.