...I'm going back...

Doozer999

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Sorry...but I've given it a week. I am no geek (and certainly no disrespect to geeks), but I'm just a regular Joe Shmoe using a smartphone for a bit of surfing, a bit of space invaders, a bit of WhatsApp... and even the odd phonecall....

I've just had my week old 5x side by side to my 'old' N5 and compared some "key presses". A bit of launching chrome. A bit of launching textra, a bit of 'photos.'. Back to chrome. Clicking on the same page, after page...

Not only did the X keep dropping WiFi (in the same room), but the N was a positively dreamy, buttery, slick oponnent....wining hands down.

Before this I dismissed my " New 5x" idiosyncrasies as just that....misremembered beauty of my N5...but finally putting them side by side....all the "odd better photo" (really? I'm no David Bailey, I'm only taking a photo of the kids latest junk model!!), or the fingerprint scanner 'gimmick'... To actually sit and "use my phone" as *I* do....there's an outright winner....and as soon as I can, I'm selling my 5x on.

I enjoyed the ride, the research, the reviews, the comparisons and all Google had to offer when I decided to look for a new handset a few weeks ago...but it was just that...I was looking to "go to" a new handset, not "leave" my old one....

If nothing else, my week with my 5x has made me realise and appreciate just how wonderful the N5 is! Not was. Is.

About 5 years ago "technology" was about right. It was a help. Now it's all just tweaks for the sake of it as a new CEO says we need to be different than before. So now things are changed for the sake of it, not because it's necessary....

I got the 5x for the sake of it. Now I'm going back to my N5; because it's necessary.

I'll see you on the other side!!

xxxxx (...incase you hadn't noticed; that's 5x's )

Last edited:

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I sure understand. I'm old and no geek and when I get a new digital camera or a new phone or even a new computer operating system, they're always worthless. Rotten. Don't work.

What's amazing is how much they improve by the end of the first week. The camera that wouldn't take decent pictures does, the phone that I can't use functions fine, and the new computer operating system is great.

But, that's just me.

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I just sold my Nexus 5 on Monday, and my 5X arrived on Wednesday. No regrets. The fingerprint scanner and camera were worth the upgrade. I have noticed a significant speed improvement in Android Auto - it pops up immediately on the 5x, somewhat laggy to start on my 5.

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I'd gladly ditch my Nexus 5x for my old Moto X 2013 if my old phone had a better camera and a fingerprint sensor, especially the better camera. The Moto X 2013 was an amazing phone.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I just sold my Nexus 5 on Monday, and my 5X arrived on Wednesday. No regrets. The fingerprint scanner and camera were worth the upgrade. I have noticed a significant speed improvement in Android Auto - it pops up immediately on the 5x, somewhat laggy to start on my 5.

Yes the camera on the 5x is far superior to the nexus 5 and the fingerprint scanner is very accurate and fast. Bigger screen and still a one handed phone.

igorhk

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I own a Nexus 5 and love everything about it... Everything except the battery life so I was considering the 5X. I get 2h45m - 3h of screen on time and about 10h of battery with LTE on, WiFi on and location on, 4 email accounts, no gaming, not much photo shooting. I use my phone quite a lot, mostly chrome/emails/WhatsApp/Slack. How much better is the 5X in the battery department?

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
So weird how everyone's experience with the 5X varies. I've had mine for over a month and it has been awesome. I got the 5x just to play with and now it is my daily phone and my Moto X Pure is in it's box. The 5X would be perfect if it had a sd card slot or more memory.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'd gladly ditch my Nexus 5x for my old Moto X 2013 if my old phone had a better camera and a fingerprint sensor, especially the better camera. The Moto X 2013 was an amazing phone.

I would ditch my Nexus 5x for my Nexus 5 if my Nexus 5 had a slightly bigger screen, better camera, and a fingerprint sensor. What a minute?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So weird how everyone's experience with the 5X varies.

Well, everyone uses their phones differently... Different apps, different usage patterns. So it's a very subjective, personal experience. And most every phone out there does things better or worse than others. Sometimes its just a matter of finding a phone that best matches your needs and once you get there, unless a newer phone suits those same needs, even though that new phone is technically superior, it's not superior for you.

I mean, I disagree whole-heartedly with the OP that the fingerprint scanner is a gimmick. After using it on my 6P (and the 5X I bought on the Fi discount) I will not purchase another phone that lacks a FPS.... I have some other phones kicking around that don't have one and I see that as a huge disadvantage. But on the flip side, my wife has an S7 and she has never even set up the FPS, nor does she plan to... so for her, it's a trivial feature.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Totally agree about the fp scanner, that is one of the main reasons I haven't gone back to the Moto X Pure. I don't think I will ever buy a phone now that doesn't have the fp scanner on the back like the 5x and 6P- it is so much more useful when it's placed on the back.

Last edited:

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I won't argue with the OP, he made his choice based on what is important to him -- and I agree, we are still using the Nexus 5 in my house and it is a great phone. It also appears to be true that the "speed" of the phone is roughly similar between the 5 and the 5x -- other than the fact that the 5X is slowed down because of data encryption -- if you turn off data encryption the 5X is much faster than the 5.

This is also where the fingerprint sensor comes into play, it, along with the encryption, helps to keep the phone easy to use while making it much more secure. This is particularly helpful if you enter a relatively long password for the phone, which makes the phone even more secure; but because of the fingerprint scanner you only occasionally need to enter the password.

Of course, then you get the greatly improved camera (though if you aren't a picture taker with your phone, like the OP, this is a marginal benefit) and the extra LTE bands -- including the fact the phone works on every major US carrier.

I rather like where the phone market is today, where a 2-year old Nexus 5 actually can be compared to the 5X. A couple of years ago, a 2 year old phone was almost unusable, it was so obsolete. I remember comparing my new Nexus 5 to my 2 year old Galaxy Nexus, it was a huge upgrade. It will be nice, in a couple of years, to feel about the 5X as the OP feels about the Nexus 5 today.