just bought a tech21 and checked out mighty shell

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Just got back from best buy. I wanted a thinner case than the defender and does t have a built in screen protector due to the dirt getting in it. Anyways the screen is so much more responsive and more clear without the otterbox built in protector it's amazing.

The tech21 tactical is pretty thin though but all the reviews I read about them is that they hold up well and on YouTube watched videos of an guy dropping his S5 and not a scratch.

The mighty shell is beefier than the tech21 but don't buy it. I had the guy take it out of the box and try it on my phone and the whole bottom part by the ports was warped and sagging.

Anyways I hope this case protection my phone like all the reviews and YouTube videos show.

I do have an zagg screen protector to put on it when I get home.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Just got back from best buy. I wanted a thinner case than the defender and does t have a built in screen protector due to the dirt getting in it. Anyways the screen is so much more responsive and more clear without the otterbox built in protector it's amazing.

I have an Otterbox Defender for my Moto X and had a similar experience. The built in gorilla glass screen protector allowed dust and even moisture to work its way under it and the phone was less responsive as well. Fortunately you can just pop out the screen protector on the Defender and then apply a film protector to your phone. Much better.:D

Last edited:

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm still going to look at the Mightyshell the next time I'm near Best Buy.

Maybe it was just a defective one I looked at, but the deformed, warped bottom was very evident. Otherwise it's a sturdy case.

I'm having a heck of a time with the tech21. I nearly dropped it twice already now because it's slick as snot, The Defender wasn't as slick. I think I might return this case and stick with the Defender.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I returned the Tech21. It's just way too slick for me and almost had it slip out of my hands a few times today. The Defender might be thick but it is easier to grip for me and more durable.

I'm using my blue Defender again. Btw with the Defenders when you buy one make sure it is made in Mexico and not in China. The China ones the rubber wears out faster and the screen protector isn't as flush with the screen. The Mexico one is far better in quality.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Btw with the Defenders when you buy one make sure it is made in Mexico and not in China. The China ones the rubber wears out faster and the screen protector isn't as flush with the screen. The Mexico one is far better in quality.
Ah, that explains it. Mine was made in China.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Ah, that explains it. Mine was made in China.

You having quality problems with it too? It's been posted on this site and some other forums before the China ones are not as good. The rubber material on the Mexico made one is stiffer and more durable so far. There have been a number of complaints about the Commuter series for s6 with the rubber sagging and becoming loose. I wonder if that might be the reason why.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My problem isn't with the rubber. It would get dust and/or condensation between the glass screen protector and the screen. I would have to take the case off (P.I.T.A.) to clean it out. Popping the glass screen protector out of the case and running without it works but it shouldn't have to be done for such an expensive case (even though I only paid $24 for it NIB).

djm1947

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
My S6 is the second device I have used the Defender case. The firsy was an S4. For both, I removed the Defender screen protector and installed a Zagg. So far both have stood up to 6 grandchildren and being dropped, thrown and stepped on by the little ones.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
My problem isn't with the rubber. It would get dust and/or condensation between the glass screen protector and the screen. I would have to take the case off (P.I.T.A.) to clean it out. Popping the glass screen protector out of the case and running without it works but it shouldn't have to be done for such an expensive case (even though I only paid $24 for it NIB).

I agree you shouldn't have to take it off. Do other built in screen protectors like the Body Glove case do this? The Speck Mighty Shell they have an adhesive hybrid face plate you can buy that sticks on but is easier to remove than a Zagg or other stick on.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana