AT&T Note 2 Initial Thoughts...Just got it today!

Gdauti1981

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up mine earlier this morning from my local AT&T store during my work hours, and so far I'm loving it!! I coming from an SII, the original Note, the S III, and now I have the Note II, and thus far it's easily better than all of them. Only thing that I'm dissapointed about is not having that Multi-window feature right out of the box; they really need to push that update.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Titanium Grey Flip Cover and my SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector (thanks UPS) but STILL NO GALAXY NOTE II! Stupid pre order. Should've just gone to AT&T this morning and bought it. I would've had it a lot sooner! Still sitting around waiting for FedEx. THIS SUCKS! I know pre ordering secure you a device on launch day but shouldn't you get it before the rest of the masses? And couldn't you have an option for in store pick up instead of waiting until the end of the day for the delivery guy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

You can usually pre order in store.

All depends on how distribution goes...
Sometimes stores get units earlier, sometimes online pre orders get them early. My Galaxy S3 came before they had in store.

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Titanium Grey Flip Cover and my SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector (thanks UPS) but STILL NO GALAXY NOTE II! Stupid pre order. Should've just gone to AT&T this morning and bought it. I would've had it a lot sooner! Still sitting around waiting for FedEx. THIS SUCKS! I know pre ordering secure you a device on launch day but shouldn't you get it before the rest of the masses? And couldn't you have an option for in store pick up instead of waiting until the end of the day for the delivery guy?

When did you pre-order?

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Got mine at 08:58 or something, FedEx overnight.

Some initial things I noticed...

As I noted with the AT&T tester's unboxing...NO HEADPHONES/EARPHONES!! I need these for calls, especially LONG calls. This is not good.

I've seen the Note2 Sprint model since the 25th, everyday, so some things I also noted as a difference so far:

- The AT&T model has the extended notification screen toggle options like the S3 has...Airplane mode, sound, etc. Sprint does not have this, and I am not sure if T-Mobile had it (I forget).

- Cannot remove the AT&T bloatware, it seems. I am new to android (and yes, I guess you can root it and remove it) but I think what is on here initially cannot be removed.

- My Sprint friend noted that the S-Pen seemed slightly heavier/different...hard to say, I don't see why. If so, it's SLIGHTLY...very slightly. I also noted that I had no issue thus far with the pen making marks while hovering over the note, but that may be because it's a new pen. Will keep on that 'bug' and still looking around for a way to toggle sensitivity.

Also, how do I know if my bootloader is unlocked/locked? (not trying to get too off-topic)

So, post what you notice about the Note 2.

Correction/Update: Sprint version now has extended toggle as well as multiwindow among other new features via recent OTA update. i installed mine manually so I am a bit ahead of the curve.

Gdauti1981

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
And this goes to all you guys concerned about headphones. After complaining just a little bit, the lady helping me out at the store gave me a pair for free. They are the genuine Samsung ones...theyre white.

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Correction/Update: Sprint version now has extended toggle as well as multiwindow among other new features via recent OTA update. i installed mine manually so I am a bit ahead of the curve.
--------------------

yeah, I saw that soon afterwards... I thought I had updated that on my posts already...thanks though!

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a 58" plasma Samsung TV (8000 series, I think) and tried AllShare Cast, etc. Hooked up to my Ethernet directly, not wireless and no dongle (AllShare thing).

Of course the DLNA works just fine...but is choppy and slow with wifi (I use 5GHz n band and was right next to my router so...???).

Speedtest app showed an upload speed of over 6Mbps, so I am not sure what the issue is. HD video was tested (from my friends Note 2 video he took and S-Beamed to me yesterday).

I don't want to get the 100$ dongle in order to mirror my screen, and 4.2 has the mirror screen feature. Apps out there to do this too, I've seen...BUT, phone needs to be rooted (which I am thinking about doing more and more). How well would it all work anyway if my DLNA has constant hiccups streaming HD video to it (which may be the DLNA slowness, not sure)?

DLNA has pretty much always been slow and choppy, since the first GS device was released and DLNA became common place on phones it has always been choppy and laggy regardless of device.

This could have been checked by streaming from any phone to any DLNA compliant device - including a PC/Laptop, PS3, or XB360 (or even another smartphone).

However, going from a PC to XB360 via the Xbox Extender seems to be devoid of these issues, so I'm not sure why DLNA performs so poorly comparably.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Still waiting on FedEx. I prefer to have the phone delivered instead of going to the store etc. I will just pop in my SIM from my current S3 and be done. I get too much misinformation when I go to the store. I have my OEM Samsung TPU case waiting and an SGP Ultra Oleophobic screen protector ready to go. Waiting for a coupon to get the Seidio Surface combo. For those that do not want to carry this phone in their pocket, this is a great combo. I have used it for all of my phones including the OG GNote. My daughter tells me it looks dorky, but it sure is functional!

I bought a set of Vmoda ear buds a while back when one of the updates from my past phones did something funky to my car's blutooth. These ear buds are great, they have the microphone for phones calls (for when your bluetooth earpiece is dead lol) and the controls for the music player etc. They were $20 at the most at COSTCO, so I do not use or even open the buds that come with the phones if they come. I do like the OEM box like we got with the SGSIII. I thought ATT had turned the corner on repackaging with their flimsy boxes etc...I guess not!

Looking forward to getting my GN2 delivered, set up and will be back to see how everyone is liking their new finely tuned business productivity machine (That's what I call it around my wife!)

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
FedEx usually arrives between 12-2 for me. I can't wait. I also have an SGP Screen Protector and TPU case waiting. Plan to let you all know my first impressions as well.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
How zippy is the device? When I used the international Galaxy S3 I could tell a major difference coming from the US version of the GSIII.
Very zippy
I'm finding ATTs version runs smoother with little to no wakeup lag.
Device build quality is better as well.

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
DLNA has pretty much always been slow and choppy, since the first GS device was released and DLNA became common place on phones it has always been choppy and laggy regardless of device.

This could have been checked by streaming from any phone to any DLNA compliant device - including a PC/Laptop, PS3, or XB360 (or even another smartphone).

However, going from a PC to XB360 via the Xbox Extender seems to be devoid of these issues, so I'm not sure why DLNA performs so poorly comparably.

This is my first phone device that could do DLNA to my TV.

I will try tonight using my MacBook Pro...wirelessly (as I usually have it connected direct via ethernet cable). I would think that the 6Mbps wouldnt be THAT choppy.

I use VUDU (an app on my TV) for streaming HD videos, but TV is connected to router via ethernet as well. VUDU requires like 4Mbps or so for HD (and streaming 1080p -which I love to use- of course requires more).

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Just picked mine up at ATT store.
I like it much better then my Sprint one :)

Hmm, then you should change your signature! ;)

Since you have both...can you let us know any differences you notice or bugs or why you like that model more, etc? I mentioned just a few earlier in this thread.

You should like you Sprint OTA update soon too! :)

gzbsds

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Went to the ATT and was 2nd line. I went ahead and purchase a Pebble Blue phone. So far I am nothing but please. For a case and belt pouch, I went to the wireless stores and got a rubber cover and pouch for less than $20. I love the phone.

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Went to the ATT and was 2nd line. I went ahead and purchase a Pebble Blue phone. So far I am nothing but please. For a case and belt pouch, I went to the wireless stores and got a rubber cover and pouch for less than $20. I love the phone.

Pebble Blue? S3 phone?