Please help me get off my couch and sleeping in my bed again...

IP IHI II IL

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Truely amazed!

So I booted up the Optimus to follow your instructions, SFHub, and oddly enough, it boots perfectly, and now I CAN'T boot into recovery! I haven't done anything to it since I pushed the commands you asked me to (maybe it just needed a break...lol), so THANK YOU! I'll have to check all of the functionality later, as we don't have it active on cell service, and I can't "choose an ID", but I think it's safe to assume that it's back to it's annoying (but more suited for my GF) stock state!

Thanks SOO MUCH to everyone, Especially SFHub! This is the most help I've received on any forum (and I'm a member of all of them I've found so far)

Starfox, I was planning out a long drawn out response, detailing the struggles of raising an autistic/emotionally distressed 5 year old boy, and his emotionally distressed 8 year old sister, the hardships of helping them through the unmentionable abuse they used to receive from their biological father, as well as dealing with having my own 3 year old daughter taken from me by her schizophrenic mother and fighting to get her back, miscarriages, the hardships of working in the EMR field on contract, 'cause there are no permanent jobs available, as well as supporting all 6 of my family on a $30k salary by myself (and doing it WELL), all the extra work I had to do and what I had to give up in order to get the ONE toy (my EVO) I've bought for myself in 3 years without making anyone else in my family have to suffer, etc....... but judging by the way you type, you're too caught up in your perfect forum world where no one should ask for help, or gets sidetracked by real life when attempting to fix a mistake. There's too much ignorance in the REAL world for it to be perpetuated on the internet. Thanks for being a nanite troll hater, though! Makes the victory THAT much sweeter!

Thanks again everyone! I seriously appreciate your response, and willingness to help! I also learned a TON!

Reactions: thekid

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this is helpful in this situation, but I remembered seeing this in Zefie's VCRom thread.

Guys with the Custom Recovery Boot Loop:
First off this is NOT a recovery image and do NOT flash it, follow the instructions provided!

1) Download recovery.bin
2) Extract file with 7zip or WinRAR or whatever.
3) Open a command prompt to the same folder as where you placed extracted recovery.bin

4) Run these adb commands
adb push recovery.bin /rec
adb shell chmod +x /rec
adb shell /rec

5) Now you should see LG's recovery menu. Simply hit "reboot" (first option).
6) Boot loop should now be gone.

Tech Details: LG has some funny voodoo going on and only their recovery can tell the phone to stop booting into recovery. This is why it says "do not remove the battery" on their recovery.

IP IHI II IL

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this is helpful in this situation, but I remembered seeing this in Zefie's VCRom thread.

Oh man!

That would have helped! I think LG's Voodoo actually helped me in this case, as the phone seemingly fixed itself after SFHub shared a few commands!

Thanks for that, though! I plan on saving this whole thread for reference, as I really did learn a WHOLE LOT!

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry about it being late, but glad you got it up and running. This community has been great in solving issues promptly and not making us newbies feel dumb for messing something up (I've done my share of messing my phone up).

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So I booted up the Optimus to follow your instructions, SFHub, and oddly enough, it boots perfectly, and now I CAN'T boot into recovery!
Glad you got it working.

You should work on getting recovery working too because you may need it in a pinch, but I can understand there is less urgency now that it boots to android.

What happens when you open up a windows dos prompt (cd to your android tools folder) and type:
adb reboot recovery

IP IHI II IL

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
ugh... Still not working...

Glad you got it working.

You should work on getting recovery working too because you may need it in a pinch, but I can understand there is less urgency now that it boots to android.

What happens when you open up a windows dos prompt (cd to your android tools folder) and type:

Thanks for following up! Sorry for the delay in my response, we've been moving for the last week, just my GF and I, and we've FINALLY finished...

We spent HOURS on the phone with Sprint CS trying to get the phone activated, and no luck, the phone kept rebooting on it's own, and wouldn't activate.

SFHUB, I realized that I still needed to perform some troubleshooting steps when the CS rep asked us to boot into recovery, and there was RA-thunderc-1.1.0 GNM.

"adb reboot recovery" takes me to the custom recovery screen. I think we may just take the phone into Best Buy, and tell them it's jacked up, but I want to try at least one more time. Do you still think I should try the last steps in the unroot thread? I feel a LOT more confident in adb now, so I will follow directions to the T.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've lost track of where you are at.

I was under the impression you can now boot into Android, but can't use the Home+Vol-+Power to get into recovery. Is that the case? So you actually have a workaround of being able to get into recovery using "adb reboot recovery" once Android is booted?

So your immediate problem is that the phone now boots to Android, but it won't activate?

IP IHI II IL

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
yezzur!

I've lost track of where you are at.

I was under the impression you can now boot into Android, but can't use the Home+Vol-+Power to get into recovery. Is that the case? So you actually have a workaround of being able to get into recovery using "adb reboot recovery" once Android is booted?

So your immediate problem is that the phone now boots to Android, but it won't activate?

That's exactly where I am right now. We've now spent 3-4 hours on as many phone calls with Sprint Techs, and a couple hours at Best Buy, and it's now a mission to get this damn thing working...I feel like it's right on the cusp, laughing at me...

So in a nutshell, I can boot it into Android, but it sporadically reboots, and I can also boot into recovery via ADB, and with power+vol-+home. We can get the phone to all android screens, but can't activate it.

Thanks again SFHUB, you're the bomb!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly where I am right now. We've now spent 3-4 hours on as many phone calls with Sprint Techs, and a couple hours at Best Buy, and it's now a mission to get this damn thing working...I feel like it's right on the cusp, laughing at me...

So in a nutshell, I can boot it into Android, but it sporadically reboots, and I can also boot into recovery via ADB, and with power+vol-+home. We can get the phone to all android screens, but can't activate it.

Thanks again SFHUB, you're the bomb!
Assuming you have everything you care about backed up (which I think you said earlier was addressed)

Have you tried doing a ##786# reset?

If not, make sure you are running Xionia CWMA recovery or stock Recovery. If you are running ThunderC recovery, your phone will brick.

I'm assuming you have your phone active on someones account. If not, make it active either through the online ESN swap tool or through a rep.

Call Sprint, ask for *tech support*, and tell them you are having trouble getting the phone activated and it was suggested you do a ##786# reset but it is asking for a code. They'll give you a six digit code, write it down, this is your MSL.

##786# will reset NVRAM and put your system at factory initial settings (except for what you have installed in /system, like superuser) For activation purposes your phone will be like new. When the ##786# starts, it'll reset your phone, format all the relevant partitions, and boot into that stupid Sprint ID screen. Then it'll try to do HFA/HFC (Hands Free Activation/Hands Free Configuration)

This should do all the activation stuff for you automatically. You shouldn't have to do anything. If it were me, I would cancel it when it does the PRL update, so you can avoid the next step which is checking for software update. You can always update PRL by hand, but once you get the software update, it can be annoying to revert back to a previous software version.

pdub311

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
This is the expected output. /dev/zero is a device that will output 0x00 forever and you are using this to clear out the misc and persist partitions. Those are the ones running out of space, which is ok, as it means you just wrote zeros to the entire partition until it ran out of space.

Now I would suggest you reboot once, just in case there is improvement. Don't expect any change, but there is a remote chance.

Assuming no change, reboot into recovery, and follow steps 13-24 ONLY of the unroot thread.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...45403-how-unroot-your-phone-return-stock.html

You don't need to do 1-12 because you already have ThunderC custom recovery. You don't want to do 25-29 because you *want* to keep ThunderC recovery.

Thanks helped me out a bunch!

incarceration

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Please help me get off my couch and sleeping in my bed again.

What files are you using to return it to stock? I'm still not getting any responses anywhere and the unroot thread's links are DEAD

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Please help me get off my couch and sleeping in my bed again.

which links are dead? (have you tried the ones in my signature? ) I just used the steps in my signature and they worked

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teresa Belmonte