Question with Google messaging

missy8787

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Has this happened with anyone? On my s24 plus sometimes hours after I've sent a txt I'll get an alert saying it was never delivered and when i check said txt it shows the little check mark like it was sent.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you reached out to the recipient to see if or when they received the message?

Do you have send recipes enabled?

Are these messages being sent over WiFi or data?

Are you using RCS? Are these messages RCS? Does it matter if there are attachments?

Let us know what you find and we'll offer other advice.

missy8787

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Have you reached out to the recipient to see if or when they received the message?

Do you have send recipes enabled?

Are these messages being sent over WiFi or data?

Are you using RCS? Are these messages RCS? Does it matter if there are attachments?

Let us know what you find and we'll offer other advice.
It sends as rcs and the other person gets the txt but gets it maybe an hour after I sent it it's happened in wifi and not wifi and sometimes changes to sms messages randomly

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
After hearing your details I was going suggest the same thing mustang7757 did. Clearing the data for Google messages may or may not affect your SMS and MMS messages but you will likely lose your RCS messages. I'm not sure if there is any way to back RCS up before taking action but I used to recommend MyBackUp Pro from the play store to backup everything else before taking actions that could cause data loss. It offers a lot of useful features and seems to have a detailed list of items it backs up. It's a paid app but offered a free trial that gave the user all of the features for the trial period and if you're just doing this one thing it can be a useful way to guard against data loss.

The reason I worry about data loss is Google Messages appears to be the main SMS app on this device with Samsung Messages being secondary. Google can't be disabled and Samsung can, so I worry that messages might be lost.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
After hearing your details I was going suggest the same thing mustang7757 did. Clearing the data for Google messages may or may not affect your SMS and MMS messages but you will likely lose your RCS messages. I'm not sure if there is any way to back RCS up before taking action but I used to recommend MyBackUp Pro from the play store to backup everything else before taking actions that could cause data loss. It offers a lot of useful features and seems to have a detailed list of items it backs up. It's a paid app but offered a free trial that gave the user all of the features for the trial period and if you're just doing this one thing it can be a useful way to guard against data loss.

The reason I worry about data loss is Google Messages appears to be the main SMS app on this device with Samsung Messages being secondary. Google can't be disabled and Samsung can, so I worry that messages might be lost.
I've cleared data on Google Messages and didn't lose anything. Clearing app data affects app (local) side data. It does not have any effect on server side data.

You will have to re-enable RCS afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: VidJunky

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Has this happened with anyone? On my s24 plus sometimes hours after I've sent a txt I'll get an alert saying it was never delivered and when i check said txt it shows the little check mark like it was sent.
I am on S21 and have this happen. I also get a message that the person is offline or that the messages are SMS then back to RCS. The other person is not offline and not sending SMS lol.

Also on T-Mobile.

Reactions: missy8787

missy8787

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I am on S21 and have this happen. I also get a message that the person is offline or that the messages are SMS then back to RCS. The other person is not offline and not sending SMS lol.

Also on T-Mobile.
Probably a t mobile thing lol

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Probably a t mobile thing lol
I think it is tmobile. two of my sisters have tmobile and I would sometimes have the same issue when I send messages to them from Google messages on our s22s. It will say they are offline or they won't get the message at all. I ended up going back to using textra.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

1eyejack

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
TMO unlocked S24 128GB here. I really don't care for the Google message app and especially RCS protocol.

You do have the option in the settings to switch off RCS and use SMS protocols exclusively or have the RCS convert to SMS in the event your sent message fails. My preference is to use the SMS protocol as every phone in the world can send/receive SMS messages. Reliability is paramount IMO vs the "special features" and end-to-end encryption provided by RCS protocol. YMMV

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
TMO unlocked S24 128GB here. I really don't care for the Google message app and especially RCS protocol.

You do have the option in the settings to switch off RCS and use SMS protocols exclusively or have the RCS convert to SMS in the event your sent message fails. My preference is to use the SMS protocol as every phone in the world can send/receive SMS messages. Reliability is paramount IMO vs the "special features" and end-to-end encryption provided by RCS protocol. YMMV
True but you don't get encryption with SMS not that I had any issues from not being encrypted

Reactions: 1eyejack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter