[ROM] Epic CM7 SELFKANG (10/11) - 2.3.7

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure but I believe there were two releases on 1022. But they are not making a distinction between the two. My wifi rocks, battery life is good, benching high, and other than rotation lag, 4G and some choppy video, I am running good. Never had wifi or MMS issues, squeal is gone. Good enough for my daily. Me likes!

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I've found an answer to getting the voicemail app over to CM7 I just need to install the stock ROM back up that app with titanium backup and restore it to CM7. Does odexed or deodexed ROM make a difference for backup and restore of apps across ROMs? Also from my previous post I still need to find out how to go about getting swype onto CM7. I know I tried installing a newer version of it on a ROM that had it already and broke it and had to reflash the ROM. I assume because it doesn't have it I simply just need a package to install it from, which I'm pretty sure can be gotten from XDA or something.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I've found an answer to getting the voicemail app over to CM7 I just need to install the stock ROM back up that app with titanium backup and restore it to CM7. Does odexed or deodexed ROM make a difference for backup and restore of apps across ROMs? Also from my previous post I still need to find out how to go about getting swype onto CM7. I know I tried installing a newer version of it on a ROM that had it already and broke it and had to reflash the ROM. I assume because it doesn't have it I simply just need a package to install it from, which I'm pretty sure can be gotten from XDA or something.

Yes it does make a different switching and placing odex and deodexed stuff together...
They should always remain separate or there usually is problems.

Odex ROMs/Apps (APKS) always have 2 files per app... Example Browser.apk & Browser.odex

Deodexed is when a dev goes in and combines the two files per app/system file together into one package making customizing ROMs/themes, etc.. "doable".

Anyways I would recommend keeping things separate.... Normally rule of thumb is Odex ROMs you leave them as is and enjoy.... Maybe dump some bloatware, flash a kernel or use wireless tethering, etc... Deodexed is what you want to run to do any modifying, themes, swapping out apps.. etc..

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Cool beans, I backed up the calculator, voicemail, and samsung apps (may not use it) apps from the leaked EH17 odexed odin root package. As far as galaxytuner goes SFR is deodexed I believe so that would probably cause issues then if I were to use it with this CM7.

Also I wiped 3x and installed the 10/22 build and it appears to be working nicely. No more speaker squeal so far and wifi stays turned on but still shows my wifi out of range even though other wifi devices right next to me and the epic are connected and able to use it.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Forum wars!!

I have spent a bunch of time over at XDA reading and commenting on the CM7 release and for the most part find people unresponsive. They do not have a Paul627G over there. I installed the original CM7 and did not have issues with wifi or MMS or SMS or battery life. Yes, video is choppy and there is no 4G but I can live with that. The rotation lag is pretty bad. When I updated to 1022, I had NO rotation whatsoever, wifi was intermittent and the lag wa pretty bad. I wiped, cleared caches, reinstalled twice, no changes so I gave up and went back to the original 1011 release. Hope they come up with a new release soon, I understand that the download link has crashed.

Now that the GB source code has been released, does anyone have any suggestions for a stable GB rom? I am kinda used to the idea of ZERO FC's and ZERO resets. That benchmark that CM7 has set, is pretty hard to beat and will take it over full functionality any day.

What you got?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
LOL... Things can get pretty heated over at "other" forums...

You are all very lucky at this point, in the last month CM7 has moved further than it ever has into a real usable daily driver...

Hopefully soon the rest of CM7 will become fully functional for you all :)

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I cant get over the lack of rotation in the latest version. I tried the EG22 rotation lag fix and that just locked up the phone. I nandroided to the 1011 version. i want to get on 1022 and have downloaded it multiple times and I know I have the a good download because the size of the file is constant.

should I wipe or clear cache first, not sure of the sequence - that is the only possible issue, re-Odin'd EH17 as well, just for insurance.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Forum wars!!

I have spent a bunch of time over at XDA reading and commenting on the CM7 release and for the most part find people unresponsive. They do not have a Paul627G over there.

I have seen many times at XDA that the developer threads are not a discussion forum so it is definitely not going to be like here at Android Central Forums.

That being said I am dying to try CM7 but have not had a time where I could sacrifice stability (damn work)! I hope to give it a shot later this week or weekend by the latest.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
That being said I am dying to try CM7 but have not had a time where I could sacrifice stability (damn work)! I hope to give it a shot later this week or weekend by the latest.

The point is, Ed, that the app does not FC or reboot. THAT kind of stability works for me. RE: the wifi, 4G and other issues, I am not in need and can wait for them. I report issues in the dev thread so the devs can see whats happening, they can ascertain whether the issues are global or not based on what is reported. I am just trying to make a contribution (and get a solid rom asap ;))

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
10/22 build: So far everything is smooth. I haven't noticed any issues with going to or from landscape in apps as of yet. In fact it appears to me to actually perform better than what I'm used to from SFR. May not have been an issue with that ROM as the stock ROM behaved the same way for me. I'd almost have to shake it to get it to rotate back to portrait every time I rotated to landscape.

The voicemail app is working and downloads voicemails as before. But I was still getting a SMS voicemail notification to call a 7 digit number to get my voicemail. I suspect this may have something to do with in cal settings it had *86 which is the voicemail sequence for Verizon though I have to get someone to call me and leave a voicemail to know if that is the case as I have now cleared that setting and left it blank.

I think I have noticed a few bugs but not sure if they are ROM related or not. The app market gets stuck sometimes after clicking install on an almost off white loading screen and never gets to the confirm screen that shows any permissions. Also when charging while device is powered on the LED doesn't stay lit indicating charging though it does appear it is still charging as the lock screen says charging.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I cant get over the lack of rotation in the latest version. I tried the EG22 rotation lag fix and that just locked up the phone. I nandroided to the 1011 version. i want to get on 1022 and have downloaded it multiple times and I know I have the a good download because the size of the file is constant.

should I wipe or clear cache first, not sure of the sequence - that is the only possible issue, re-Odin'd EH17 as well, just for insurance.

Have you gone into the settings? There is an option to determine what kind of orientations your phone can go into and if certain orientations are left unchecked, it can screw with the orientation your phone is in when it's in a 'natural' position. I know that happened to my Dad's hero when he got CM7 on it.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Have you gone into the settings? There is an option to determine what kind of orientations your phone can go into and if certain orientations are left unchecked, it can screw with the orientation your phone is in when it's in a 'natural' position. I know that happened to my Dad's hero when he got CM7 on it.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I flashed the leaked EH17 to backup a few of the stock apps to restore to CM7. One of those being the calculator I like it better than the one installed with CM7. However titanium backup hangs on trying to restore it. Is there a better way to get the stock calculator app?

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
What did you say Ted? All your post says is my quote and that's it.

First of all, oops.

Today, I backed up and re-flashed twice. I am completely operational at latest release, namely CM7 version 10/22. I am still noticing a 3 second lag in rotation. Once I tried the EG22 lag fix and it crashed so I haven't tried it a second time.

The CM settings are enabled for all rotation possibilities. 90/180/270 - I am not sure what other settings would fix it. I am surprised that others are not reporting it.

Add some good video and the 4G and we are perfect!!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
4g for everyone! Once they drop that official build then you guys should have 4g... Even with the source being released I'm not sure if they have the code written in yet to support 4g.. That might have to be added at official release by Sammy/Sprint.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
First of all, oops.

Today, I backed up and re-flashed twice. I am completely operational at latest release, namely CM7 version 10/22. I am still noticing a 3 second lag in rotation. Once I tried the EG22 lag fix and it crashed so I haven't tried it a second time.

The CM settings are enabled for all rotation possibilities. 90/180/270 - I am not sure what other settings would fix it. I am surprised that others are not reporting it.

Add some good video and the 4G and we are perfect!!

Hmm, strange. So far, you're the first person that I've have issues with the auto-rotation.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Been running the 10/22 build and wow, things are great now. I had a bad flash of the first build in which the CyanogenMod Settings section would force close. Fixed that with a complete fresh install of the next build which on the downside bonked wifi. Now, no whistle, wifi kicking butt, and everything is nice and zippy for me. Wouldn't mind getting 4G back but I get subpar signal at work and no 4G anywhere else and since Sprint has basically killed wimax I don't expect that 4G signal to ever get any better with the Epic. Of course would like to get the video recording back but I'm glad the camera works (still like the Samsung camera better).

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
If I flash the latest 10/22 over the latest 10/22 without doing the 3x wipes will I break anything? I can't get wifi to connect to my router though it stays turned on and even sees all the neighbors broadcast wifi. Mine is not broadcast. Even when I'm right next to the router it says not in range in the list. So it never connects no matter how many times I turn wifi off and back on.