still waiting for 5.1

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Tried this today since I hadn't received the 5.1 OTA yet.

[Settings] -> [Apps] -> swipe over to [All] -> scroll to [Google Services Framework] and tap to open.
Clear Data then Force Stop
Now go back to [About phone] -> [System updates] and manually check for the update.

5.1 is downloading now...

Update: While I've never had any issues using this method there could be potential risks involved. YMMV

That's how I got my update. When I had my Nexus 4, I used this method twice to get the OTA updates. Every time an OTA update comes out people do this back and forth about how it works..it doesn't work...it will mess up your device...it won't mess up your device. The fact is...THIS METHOD WORKS. Of course a Google engineer is going to discourage people from clearing the Google Services Framework. From reading some threads on this forum... I see more cries for help from people having issues when they attempted to flash / sideload or whatever else the update than from people clearing the Google Services Framework. In fact...I haven't seen anyone ask for help after using this method. Most issues can be resolved by: 1. Reboot the device 2. Clear the cache and data on the Google Play Store app and 3. Sign out of your Google account on the device and sign back in.

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
OK I saw the update icon briefly tonight. When attempting to update the phone became unresponsive for about 15 secs. I rebooted the phone and the update was gone and there was no icon saying the update was available. So I took the sim out and rebooted using only WiFi with the same result. I decided to a factory restore and that's when 5.1D came through.

Posted via the Android Central App

edicagim

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
I cleared the data and pressed 'force stop' and I didn't even have time to check for updates, it popped straight up for me.

Many thanks!

edicagim

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
Tried this today since I hadn't received the 5.1 OTA yet.

[Settings] -> [Apps] -> swipe over to [All] -> scroll to [Google Services Framework] and tap to open.
Clear Data then Force Stop
Now go back to [About phone] -> [System updates] and manually check for the update.

5.1 is downloading now...

Update: While I've never had any issues using this method there could be potential risks involved. YMMV

I cleared the data and pressed 'force stop' and I didn't even have time to check for updates, it popped straight up for me.

Many thanks!

orella

May 2, 2014
Visit site
the update will be available in stages, so wait a bit and you will get it in the next days/weeks. If your phone can update to 5.1 you will get it 100% sure so patience :p

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I've ever waited this long for an OTA on my Nexus 7 in the year and a half I've had it. Still hanging in there, being patient. Each day does bring me over to breaking down and sideloading though, or at least trying the controversial Google Services Framework trick :)

I just hope now the OTA I eventually get is the most recent build.

AC App
Nexus 6

Last edited:

rusty136

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The solution I used to get the update was to pull the sim, do a factory reset, fire the phone up without a sim, and log in to my wifi network. The 5.1 update was available immediately. I only had about 1 1/2 pages of apps, so it wasn't too much work to set the phone up again. I chose this method because it was risk free - no chance of someting going wrong, and causing a problem.

stantheindian

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I got it a few days ago, what a difference. I downloaded Rayman from the Amazon store and it was super laggy at first on the Nexus. Since the update its been buzzing by.

Thanks
Stan

mwara244

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
So who else is still hanging in there, waiting for their OTA?

AC App
Nexus 6

Using verizon sim with a GP Nexus 6, came with 5.0.1 out of box. Still waiting on 5.1 E for verizon, no one outside the verizon sold N 6 has received 5.1 yet, from here, xda, reddit, that I have read for the verizon ota on a Moto or GP device. I have read that T-Mo and ATT received the update for a Moto or GP device, but not Sprint or Verizon.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Does it matter where you bought your device or which carrier your on? I didn't think so. Mine is from Google Play, using it on AT&T.

AC App
Nexus 6

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Just got my notification.

Here we go!

UPDATE: I'm currently on 5.0.1. As soon as I started the download, I got a notification that my device was up to date and I'm still on 5.0.1. So much for the update.

Attachments

• 25139.jpg
    25139.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 107

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this is irritating. Every time I power off the phone and power it back on, I get this:

25387.jpg

I press download and get this:

25388.jpg

I select download again and get this:

25389.jpg

Two seconds later, this screen appears:

25390.jpg

I'm still on 5.0.1. This happens every time I power off the phone and power it back on. This has happened seven times so far.

erges

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
This exact same thing happened to me. Downloaded and installed it, said it needed to restart but then just went to the home screen. Restarted it and nothing, even did a factory restore. Still on 5.01
Except I haven't gotten the download 5.1 notification again.
Posted via the Android Central App