Why is the darn iPhone screen still so much smoother?

Micah Gooch

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay so riddle me this: why in the hell are there dual-core, 1.2Ghz Android phones running the latest version that just came out, and they still can't deliver a smooth, jitter-free interface like the iPhone 4 can? What's going on here? is it just the refresh rate of the screens is really low to save power? Does Apple somehow have a bunch of patents related to screen/UI smoothness that's illegal to copy? I don't get it. I can't imagine Google simply doesn't realize how much choppier all Android phones are compared to the iPhone, so what's going on here?

SparkyXI

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I have to ask the question as well, however - maybe I can offer up a speculation... If you think about the iPhone, and iOS, they are working with (virtually) ONE phone model. They're not having to pander to 8 different manufacturers, who have umpteen million different models. Maybe Apple designed their phone around their OS or vice versa, therefore FULLY optimizing the hardware and software to work in harmony. We, on the other hand, have different ways to tweak the software to work smoothly, depending on the hardware specs.

Am I way off base?

Either way, Android love forever. Still hate the iPhone. ;)

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not quite following you. What is jittery on your screen?

The moment my screen lags or acts odd, I look for an offender. Yesterday I tried a popular app for the first time. It caused my screen to freeze for a second or two when I transitioned between pages. Bye Bye app. LOL

As Sparky eluded to, Apple has a tight reign on the iphone. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, there are a lot of people who want exactly that. Conversely, there is the segment of the world that cannot leave anything "as is". For them, there's Android. ;)

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Some reason they don't utilize the GPU to render the screen like Apple does. Its something that is so obvious yet they don't utilize it. No idea why.......

Sent from my Droid

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38