Connecting Chromecast to an A/V receiver

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I have my Chromecast hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V671 and I can play audio just fine with the TV off. If I start with the TV on, play music and then shut the TV off, the music drops off for about a second but comes back, everything else seems to work fine at this point.

RvdP

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I can play music via Google Music with the TV off via my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR809). It must be a Feature or setting in the receiver...

bigbill25

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a Pioneer VSX-1020 that's only a year old which I have the Chromecast hooked up to directly. Works fine when you switch to the proper HDMI.

Thanks for the post, I am using the exact setup (Chromecast + Pioneer VSX-1020 + Harmony One)

I was hoping CEC would work through the receiver, but unfortunately not. I initially hooked it up directly to my TV and liked it automatically switching the input for me....its a shame the receiver doesn't do the same thing. Apparently the VSX-1020 psuedo supports CEC....another "standards" issue where different companies implement the "standard" in different ways.

Guys, the VSX-1020 (and most receivers) support CEC, but usually have it turned off by default. Pioneer calls it either Kuro Link or just HDMI Control. Check page 62 of your manual on how to turn it on:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1020_OperatingInstructions0928.pdf

Now, having said that, I would say you do NOT want to turn it on if you are using a Harmony remote. The Harmony works by remembering the state it put the system in. If some CEC command comes in and changes something, like the input, the Harmony will be out of sync. Much more frustrating...

--Bill

yondawg

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
So, I have a receiver that is a year or two older, a Pioneer VSX-521. It has HDMI ports in the back, and I plugged Chromecast into each of them, without any luck getting video.

Interestingly, Audio works.

I have video input running through an RCA chord into the back of the TV. Do I need HDMI output from the AV receiver into an HDMI ready TV for this to work, or should the receiver decode the signal and send it to the TV?

Reptile1990

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Google Play Movies was the biggest disappointment. The two movies I tried (Transformers and Tron: Legacy) both played naitively in 2-channel stereo not 5.1. Had to force virtual 5.1 through receiver to get all my speakers going. Hopefully this is addressed very soon.

I have an Insignia NS-R5101AHD-A which has my chromecast hooked up to it using one of the HDMI inputs in the rear and I tried Transformers as soon as I read this, and it played in 5.1 as soon as I started it. I didnt have to change anything. My receiver had its Dolby 5.1 icon on as soon as the movie started. Maybe I have virtual surround sound enabled and just dont know it. I just got the receiver.

Some other tidbits:
- I'm not able to listen to Google Music while having the TV screen off. Once the TV is turned off the audio cuts out immediately even though the Chromecast is plugged directly into my receiver.

I was able to stream music from play music with my tv off just fine. If i have my tv on and start to stream, and then turn off my tv, the sound cuts out for a second but then picks back up very quickly. I assume it just depends on the receiver that you have. Some will work better than others.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So, I have a receiver that is a year or two older, a Pioneer VSX-521.

I have video input running through an RCA chord into the back of the TV. Do I need HDMI output from the AV receiver into an HDMI ready TV for this to work, or should the receiver decode the signal and send it to the TV?

Some receivers can convert some can't. I think you will do best keeping it all digital. One exception is my zone 2 that I send analog signal to a 50 watt amp for four other rooms. The HDMI will not covert digital to analog. Waiting for my DAC converter for this issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

PhobicCarrot

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Ive got the Marantz 7001 and expect to have mine by Monday. I will let you know what I find.

I have played around w/ Netflix. The picture is what you would expect, but I can only seem to get STEREO, even when Netflix reports that the movie was 5.1. I will play w some other settings/movies and let you know.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I seem to keep seeing "Dolby digital +" in posts. This if correct maybe it is a format that not all receivers can decode. Its either that or it auto scales back for lower bandwidth connections. I dunno, give me another beer.

hatchna

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I have my Chromecast connected to my A/V receiver, an Onkyo TX-SR508. Everything has been working wonderfully so far. I need to run a video from Google Play to see if I get the 5.1 there, but I have no problem getting 5.1 Dolby Digital+ from Netflix.Very happy with the Chromecast so far. Just waiting for more applications to support it. :)

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I seem to keep seeing "Dolby digital +" in posts. This if correct maybe it is a format that not all receivers can decode. Its either that or it auto scales back for lower bandwidth connections. I dunno, give me another beer.

Netflix does scale it's video based on connection so it is possible it does the same for audio.

What we would need to check is to have everyone use the same stardard wifi signal strength app and have those who are getting 5.1 sound compare their signal;s stength to those not getting 5.1 sound. we should also al be using the same movie to test from and indicate country we are testing in as well [Netflix in Canada could be different from Netflix USA].

For the App I suggest https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&token=aaBfApwi Wifi Analyzer

Now who can tell us the name of a movie with 5.1 sound that will serve as a good base for testing.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Just reporting in here....

I have an Onkyo TX-NR609. With both Netflix and YouTube I get Dolby D 5.1 surround sound with 1080p video. It's not 100% of the time and I think it depends on how the movie or video was recorded. I watched a movie from the 70s on Netflix and it only had stereo, but most new movies are 5.1. YouTube is a crap shoot depending on how the person recording it did the recording.

PhobicCarrot

May 24, 2013
Visit site
When I try to play something that says 5.1 audio, it only gives stereo. When I tap on the closed-caption button to select the audio stream, it only gives an option for stereo. I wonder if this is a function of the show I am watching (most recent season of Breaking Bad).

enflate

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
You have mentioned that when the tv is off, the chomecast doesn't work anymore, even for audio only.
I wonder if there's a method to use the chromecast as a audio only solution, alas sonos system.
I'm thinking of upgrading my amp to a a/v receiver, plug in the chromekey and just listen to my google music library via the speakers connected to the receiver.
Can you please try to disconnect the hdmi output from the receiver to see if audio only works? in theory it should work

I know this isn't exactly what you guys had in mind, but I was able to run my Chromecast audio only. I have a cheap HDMI 2ch audio extractor which I use to add audio to HDMI monitors (not TVs). I plugged the CC in to a USB port on my laptop for power and plugged the HDMI end into the audio extractor, I didn't connect a screen at all. The Netflix 2ch audio played back fine through the CC/ audio extractor combination.

osograndeva

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Chromecast in today. I connected to my Pioneer VSX-40. Setup was a breeze, unfortunately I only get video, no audio. I have my Samsung TV connected via the HDMI out . I used the DVD HDMI port on the VSX-40. Any suggestion on getting audio to work?

miscrap

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung 61" DLP tv with a Harmon Kardan AVR330 receiver. The tv has no HDMI ports, only DVI, and the receiver has none. I plugged the Chromecast into the tv DVI port via an adapter, and video is fine, both casting from my Chrome browser and Netflix. However, how do I get sound? I have my TiVo Premiere and my Sony Blu Ray also plugged into the DVI port, all through an EnjoyGadgets switch, with separate optical cables going from the TiVo and Blu Ray to the receiver for sound, but the Chromecast doesn't have that capability. Can anyone help?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung 61" DLP tv with a Harmon Kardan AVR330 receiver. The tv has no HDMI ports, only DVI, and the receiver has none. I plugged the Chromecast into the tv DVI port via an adapter, and video is fine, both casting from my Chrome browser and Netflix. However, how do I get sound? I have my TiVo Premiere and my Sony Blu Ray also plugged into the DVI port, all through an EnjoyGadgets switch, with separate optical cables going from the TiVo and Blu Ray to the receiver for sound, but the Chromecast doesn't have that capability. Can anyone help?

You will need a HDMI switch with audio out. That should work. Here is an example of one, just verify it meets your needs.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

You can't. DVI doesn't carry audio. You may need to fined some sort of adapter that can extract the audio stream and make it analog to send that to reciever or tv.

Posted via Android Central App

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
So, I have a receiver that is a year or two older, a Pioneer VSX-521. It has HDMI ports in the back, and I plugged Chromecast into each of them, without any luck getting video.

Interestingly, Audio works.

Your receiver can not convert HDMI into RCA.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Chromecast in today. I connected to my Pioneer VSX-40. Setup was a breeze, unfortunately I only get video, no audio. I have my Samsung TV connected via the HDMI out . I used the DVD HDMI port on the VSX-40. Any suggestion on getting audio to work?

First off nice AVR.

Have you tried the CC in other hdmi ports. Could the dvd HDMI setup be looking for audio on a spdif port? Can you force direct audio decoding or Dolby Digital Plus.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress