Is it still worth buying a Nexus 4?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have definitely seen less interest in this phone since the newer ones were announced. I am selling a new in box 16GB model still sealed that I bought with gift certificates for my wife. She did not want it after playing with mine she wanted to keep her S3. (I also thought she would be able to update it for LTE on t mobile but that is not going to happen as minnemike explained to me).

Anyways, I have had it on craigslist for a few days and only a few hits and they were scammers from out of town. Anecdotal yes but, noticeable. When I put my S3 on there in January the texts were coming so fast I could not read them all.

Maybe interest will pick as we get closer to KLP coming out...

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have definitely seen less interest in this phone since the newer ones were announced.

Yes, but the Nexus 4 is back in stock on Google Play so there is naturally going to be less interest in it. We are no approaching 2 months of availability, but before that people were really excited trying to get their hands on one.

When I put my S3 on there in January the texts were coming so fast I could not read them all.

I think you'd see the same drop off in interest if you tried to sell an s3 on eBay today.

I have definitely seen less interest in this phone since the newer ones were announced.

All the enthusiasm has switched to the HTC One, s4, and others This Summer and Fall are going to be phenomenal for phones and phabloids, but all the new phones will have announcements, waiting periods, and supply problems, as well as growing pains implementing the phone's hardware and software. (I think I read on CNET that the s4's LTE won't immediately work). Anyone in the market for a new phone right now is kind of in a tough spot. In 6 months so much will change, but then again that means you'll go 6 months without an awesome phone. If you always are waiting for the next update you end up missing out on so much. If I was in the market today I'd get the Nexus 4. If money was no object, and I didn't mind being on a 2 year contract, then I might try to hold off and get my hands on an HTC One or s4 whenever they became available.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but the Nexus 4 is back in stock on Google Play so there is naturally going to be less interest in it. We are no approaching 2 months of availability, but before that people were really excited trying to get their hands on one.

I think you'd see the same drop off in interest if you tried to sell an s3 on eBay today.

All the enthusiasm has switched to the HTC One, s4, and others This Summer and Fall are going to be phenomenal for phones and phabloids, but all the new phones will have announcements, waiting periods, and supply problems, as well as growing pains implementing the phone's hardware and software. (I think I read on CNET that the s4's LTE won't immediately work). Anyone in the market for a new phone right now is kind of in a tough spot. In 6 months so much will change, but then again that means you'll go 6 months without an awesome phone. If you always are waiting for the next update you end up missing out on so much. If I was in the market today I'd get the Nexus 4. If money was no object, and I didn't mind being on a 2 year contract, then I might try to hold off and get my hands on an HTC One or s4 whenever they became available.

Just to clarify I am not selling my Nexus 4, but an extra that I bought for my wife. And I bought the S3 in June of 2012 so it was over 6 months old when I sold it with great interest.
Luckily I had not unsealed the Nexus 4 box and Amazon is taking it back minus $5 and change to ship it back. Lots of choices for new phones including the Blackberry Z10. Saw one today and it was pretty sweet! I will just hold my 500 gift card balance with Amazon until I see something worth getting. I usually buy my phones no commitment so I am used to 550+ devices.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
<---- very happy camper. Just got mine today! :D
I've been watching the new OEM phones come out and I just knew in the pit of my stomach that no matter what, buying another android that was controlled by OEM's and carriers would never make me happy. I was always pretty dissatisfied about it on my last phone. What finally tipped me over the edge was how many Nexus 4 owners I saw across a few android communities saying they'll never leave Nexus for one of this year's OEM devices. I've never seen that kind of unified attitude anywhere else but iPhone owners. I'm not going to ruffle anyone's feathers by saying why I will never go with an OEM android, but I'll never buy a non-Nexus android again.

What I like about this phone:

I
  • t's fast and stable
  • No carrier delayed updates
  • No OEM overlays/skins. Some people like 'em, but most folks I talk to on XDA can't seem to get rid of them fast enough. I still think the OEM's do a poor job optimizing their skins to be as well coded as stock.
  • No bloatware
  • The hardware is top-notch quality and specs will be up to date for a long time

Now that I've freed myself from contracts, I'm going to be buying a new Nexus every year ;)
Just hoping that a new Nexus tablet is released this summer now, and looks like I'll be lowing some money on the wireless charger, bumper, and a car mount

anon(13322)

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
In the fall, Android customers will want a Nexus 5. Thankfully, the S4 and N5 have opposite schedules. S4 is usually more Spring, while N5 is more Fall/Early Winter. Or so we think. Hopefully Google releases around November again. I really don't want a new Nexus phone in May; it's too early.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I just bought another for my wife! Very happy with this phone. Really unless you need lots of storage, or on a cdma network, there is no reason not to buy one

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

stevedo

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
For the price, there's no comparison. Yes the HTC One is a beautiful piece of kit but to have the flexibility of payg rolling contracts and knowing that future updates will be heading your way directly are personally big big pluses.

The spec for the price is ridiculous. Had it since December and am still loving it.

Sent from my superb Nexus 4

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully Google releases around November again. I really don't want a new Nexus phone in May; it's too early.

Are you suggesting that we are somehow compelled to buy a new phone every time google releases one? I don't want a new phone in may either. Whether google releases a new phone in May will have no impact on my decision whether to purchase one.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyways, I have had it on craigslist for a few days and only a few hits and they were scammers from out of town. Anecdotal yes but, noticeable. When I put my S3 on there in January the texts were coming so fast I could not read them all.
I wouldn't buy a "new" Nexus 4 on craigslist unless it was at least $100 cheaper than Google. Too much risk as a buyer.

FWIW, despite all the launches and events, I still plan to order a Nexus 4 from Google next month when bonus checks come out.

anon(13322)

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Are you suggesting that we are somehow compelled to buy a new phone every time google releases one? I don't want a new phone in may either. Whether google releases a new phone in May will have no impact on my decision whether to purchase one.
Yes. For only $300, most could sell their Nexus and use that money towards the new one. You'll only be losing roughly $50. Since the phone is already cheap, it's hard not to purchase the new one.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I actually love that people have less interest in this device. I like the exclusiveness of it to be frank.

Sent from a pure Google experience.

Last edited:

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
<---- very happy camper. Just got mine today! :D
I've been watching the new OEM phones come out and I just knew in the pit of my stomach that no matter what, buying another android that was controlled by OEM's and carriers would never make me happy. I was always pretty dissatisfied about it on my last phone. What finally tipped me over the edge was how many Nexus 4 owners I saw across a few android communities saying they'll never leave Nexus for one of this year's OEM devices. I've never seen that kind of unified attitude anywhere else but iPhone owners. I'm not going to ruffle anyone's feathers by saying why I will never go with an OEM android, but I'll never buy a non-Nexus android again.

What I like about this phone:

I
  • t's fast and stable
  • No carrier delayed updates
  • No OEM overlays/skins. Some people like 'em, but most folks I talk to on XDA can't seem to get rid of them fast enough. I still think the OEM's do a poor job optimizing their skins to be as well coded as stock.
  • No bloatware
  • The hardware is top-notch quality and specs will be up to date for a long time

Now that I've freed myself from contracts, I'm going to be buying a new Nexus every year ;)
Just hoping that a new Nexus tablet is released this summer now, and looks like I'll be lowing some money on the wireless charger, bumper, and a car mount

Excellent, I could've written these exact words for myself! I am curious though; what happened to the iPhone idea???? :p

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't buy a "new" Nexus 4 on craigslist unless it was at least $100 cheaper than Google. Too much risk as a buyer.

FWIW, despite all the launches and events, I still plan to order a Nexus 4 from Google next month when bonus checks come out.

I get that since it is your money. FWIW, the box was sealed and I had the receipt so limited risk. Anyways, Amazon took it back and refunded me $400 in gift certificates minus $5.xx for return shipping. Glad the seals were intact!

It may pick up when KLP hits but too much new competition right now with the S4, HTC One, Experia XL and even the Blackberry Z10.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered my nexus from google. Really excited about it. It will be my first nexus. I really wanted the nexus 1 when it came out but I wasn't able to get one. When I saw the 4 compared to the original nexus, I knew I had to have it.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Excellent, I could've written these exact words for myself! I am curious though; what happened to the iPhone idea???? :p

lol, scrapped it. I've been following some of the news about the new iOS lead designer's plans for iPhone and I can't shake the strong impression that all he's going to do for all of 2013 is just change the general appearance a little but as far as how the UI has actually operated for the last 3 years now with not really much new to it, doesn't appear there's going to be any movement on that front still. I know the iOS notification system was going to annoy me, the way the apps don't talk to each other was REALLY going to annoy me, and the same old icon grid was going to bore me fast. Yes, Apple Care blows anything else away (especially coupled with me living near an Apple store) and yes iOS is arguably more stable (although that's open to question lately), but it wasn't enough to tempt me over. I understand their minimalist build philosophy keeps the OS more reliable but I really feel like Apple has taken that philosophy too far to an extreme now.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in the Nexus 4, but with rumours of a Nexus 5 coming out in May (either then or in November - 1 year cycle), as well as the recent releases of devices such as the S4, HTC One, Xperia Z and so on, is it still a good deal?

I currently have an iPhone 4S and will be looking to upgrade shortly.

The Nexus 4 was compared to the One in an article here and while the One was the winner overall they mention that the Nexus 4 is still a very powerful and great phone so if you get one it wouldn't be a bad choice by any means. If you can wait a bit to see if a Nexus 5 is announced though then you probably should just in case.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Nexus 4, easily. It's a bargain. Better battery life than any HTC. Faster updates. Easier to unlock, root.

If you don't NEED to upgrade, you can upgrade when you want for the device you want (including snatching bargains when they appear). If you WANT to, N4 is a great phone. IMHO, all the talk about the "Nexus 5" is just talk.

OTOH... if you're on T-Mobile, they're getting the iPhone 5 soon.... Do you want to switch to Android, or stay with iOS?

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

Last edited:

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I just ordered my nexus from google. Really excited about it. It will be my first nexus. I really wanted the nexus 1 when it came out but I wasn't able to get one. When I saw the 4 compared to the original nexus, I knew I had to have it.

You've made a great choice.

Sent from a pure Google experience.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am still amazed at how fast it is and how nice the display is. It IS the best phone I have ever owned. My iPhone 4s would be the second best.