Ok Pixel owners - the S8 is here. Who's jumping ship?

Neutrality

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
You're right. I'm hating on the pixel for no reason. It is a good phone. A very good one. I'm just comparing it with the S8. Both are great phones. But the S8 reflects the future in a better way I think.

This is just my humble opinion.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yep we're polar opposites here. For what I need from a phone, Samsung's latest don't match up to the Pixel. I find the Pixel to be a more well rounded decide, more feature rich and by far more future proof.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I look at Samsung hardware and think, oh pretty pretty. Then memory stirs and I think, Tizen, Touchwiz, carrier controlled updates, carrier bloat. The future? Nope. No way. That's a past I left behind and don't care to revisit.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
note 8 will put all devices to shame aside the s8 now. samsung is superior, and always will be.

lol

We know exactly zero about the Note 8 aside from a name. Here are some things we can speculate on and be reasonably sure of:

The software will be better than the Note 7's, but incrementally. It will still be miles behind the Pixel.
The security will be subpar. Both from the jump and updates won't be consistent.
Software updates will be subpar.
Support for emerging industry standard connected equipment will be weak or nonexistent.
The display will be great.
Audio will be either 'meh or decent, but nothing to write home about.
The S-Pen will be awesome.
The all glass, no bezel design from the S8 will be present - either you love it or hate it.
Battery life will be good but not great.
Camera will be among the best, but probably not the best.

Long story short, it'll be an iteration on the S8+ with an S-Pen. If you love the S8+, Note 8 should be great. If like most of the people in this thread, you're kinda annoyed with Samsung's design mistakes and inability to properly support the basics of the software community, then you're probably not going to jump too far out of your skin with excitement for merely more of the same.

But, if we're talking about phones this fall... there are two other contenders that will almost certainly kick out better devices. The Pixel 2 from Google and the iPhone X or whatever they're calling it from Apple. Obviously there wasn't a Note 7 to speak of, so no way to compare the current gen to it, but there was an S7 Edge and both the 7+ and the Pixel XL trounce the S7 Edge, almost across the board on a feature per feature comparison - so long as you're not willing to ignore the fundamentals, such as software support, security and adoption of critical ecosystem standards.

Samsung puts out some good kit, but it's a little bit of a stretch to pretend they're superior to anything without considering the merits of the other OEM's, many of which surpass Samsung on features that may be incredibly important to the types of people who actually care about any of this.

anon(9780053)

Banned
Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
lol

We know exactly zero about the Note 8 aside from a name. Here are some things we can speculate on and be reasonably sure of:

The software will be better than the Note 7's, but incrementally. It will still be miles behind the Pixel.
The security will be subpar. Both from the jump and updates won't be consistent.
Software updates will be subpar.
Support for emerging industry standard connected equipment will be weak or nonexistent.
The display will be great.
Audio will be either 'meh or decent, but nothing to write home about.
The S-Pen will be awesome.
The all glass, no bezel design from the S8 will be present - either you love it or hate it.
Battery life will be good but not great.
Camera will be among the best, but probably not the best.

Long story short, it'll be an iteration on the S8+ with an S-Pen. If you love the S8+, Note 8 should be great. If like most of the people in this thread, you're kinda annoyed with Samsung's design mistakes and inability to properly support the basics of the software community, then you're probably not going to jump too far out of your skin with excitement for merely more of the same.

But, if we're talking about phones this fall... there are two other contenders that will almost certainly kick out better devices. The Pixel 2 from Google and the iPhone X or whatever they're calling it from Apple. Obviously there wasn't a Note 7 to speak of, so no way to compare the current gen to it, but there was an S7 Edge and both the 7+ and the Pixel XL trounce the S7 Edge, almost across the board on a feature per feature comparison - so long as you're not willing to ignore the fundamentals, such as software support, security and adoption of critical ecosystem standards.

Samsung puts out some good kit, but it's a little bit of a stretch to pretend they're superior to anything without considering the merits of the other OEM's, many of which surpass Samsung on features that may be incredibly important to the types of people who actually care about any of this.

the UI WILL CHANGE, no display will match it, it will have next gen processor alreay in the making 840/ ram will finally ne 6 gigs, it will have OREO ANDROID, new bio-metrics will be used. it will have dual cameras at 1/6 ratio, and the pixel will be left in the fumes of the note 8s reign.it will be native 16;9 and 6 inch full side display. and a transporter beam built it, with galactic posibilities

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
the UI WILL CHANGE, no display will match it, it will have next gen processor alreay in the making 840/ ram will finally ne 6 gigs, it will have OREO ANDROID, new bio-metrics will be used. it will have dual cameras at 1/6 ratio, and the pixel will be left in the fumes of the note 8s reign.it will be native 16;9 and 6 inch full side display. and a transporter beam built it, with galactic posibilities

As long as we know all of that is false, we're good :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the fence about getting an S8. If I had to give an answer now, it would be no.

As for the conversation shifting to the next Note....I very highly doubt it will come with the latest version of Android. The Note 7 didn't release with N.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the fence about getting an S8. If I had to give an answer now, it would be no.

As for the conversation shifting to the next Note....I very highly doubt it will come with the latest version of Android. The Note 7 didn't release with N.

Right, the Note typically comes out too early in the cycle to be on the latest software version. If they delayed 6 weeks they could do it.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep we're polar opposites here. For what I need from a phone, Samsung's latest don't match up to the Pixel. I find the Pixel to be a more well rounded decide, more feature rich and by far more future proof.
What features does the Pixel have over the S8?

I see the Galaxy S8 having features the Pixel doesn't have like:

Waterproofing
SD Card
Wireless charging
Facial recognition
Iris recognition

I love my Pixel XL....but I can't compare it to the S8 Plus yet until I actually have it in hand and used it for a while.

anon(9780053)

Banned
Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
what features does the pixel have over the s8?

I see the galaxy s8 having features the pixel doesn't have like:

Waterproofing
sd card
wireless charging
facial recognition
iris recognition

i love my pixel xl....but i can't compare it to the s8 plus yet until i actually have it in hand and used it for a while.

add 835 snap dragon and bluetooth 5 and compatible first for 5 g lte coming. First.