Everything is getting an update but the EVO 4G

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to root, but it's so difficult and easy to brick your phone and it's hard enough as is getting a replacement. I've jailbroken my old iTouch and rooted a Palm Pre, but there's so many steps and processes for Android that I never bothered. Plus like I said before, the risk is too high for me. Plus, I don't even know what a ROM is.

And I always thought the Galaxy S phones were good enough as they were at the time.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It is actually REALLY hard to brick an evo. The hacks section is full of people to help you too. We all started just as clueless at one point.

2.1 is junk in comparison, the JIT compiler in 2.2 is a beast of software design.

Reactions: Nate79

ufergus

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I am fine with the delay in gingerbread update if it means we get version 2.3.4. I really want gtalk video chat!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
People seem to be forgetting one main factor... "Rooting your device will void the warranty", plus could cause unknown issues. Rooting is an option, not a necessity. Many users choose to (including me) not root their phones. So telling someone to modify / root their device wouldn't be the best idea.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
People seem to be forgetting one main factor... "Rooting your device will void the warranty", plus could cause unknown issues. Rooting is an option, not a necessity. Many users choose to (including me) not root their phones. So telling someone to modify / root their device wouldn't be the best idea.

You don't permanently lose the warranty and going back to a stock unrooted state with your warranty intact is easier than the process to root it in the first place. In order to TRULY get the most out of a device, rooting is needed. Of course you can enjoy the device without rooting though.

Granted some cant handle it/arent technically inclined enough to root and enjoy it, but just because you aren't rooted don't make it a bad idea.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I got the technical know how to root, but like I said, it's still kind of risky and it's hard enough as it is to get Sprint to replace a phone.

And then you have to go back to stock if you want to upgrade to the next silly food name from Google.

Honestly though, what's the point in rooting other than for tethering apps and ridding a phone from crapware?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Granted some cant handle it/arent technically inclined enough to root and enjoy it, but just because you aren't rooted don't make it a bad idea.
This is exactly why I never think of rooting my phone. Also to the fact that I used my phone to do everything... and chooses not to put it in harms way. KUDOS to all those who choose to root. :-D

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I got the technical know how to root, but like I said, it's still kind of risky and it's hard enough as it is to get Sprint to replace a phone.

And then you have to go back to stock if you want to upgrade to the next silly food name from Google.

Honestly though, what's the point in rooting other than for tethering apps and ridding a phone from crapware?

It shouldn't be that hard to get Sprint to replace a phone if there is a hardware issue and you have the insurance.

You don't have to go back to stock to update to the latest version of the Android OS unless you want to go back to the latest completely stock configuration. This is proven by Gingerbread being available in a stable ROM from several developers for the EVO.

The point for Rooting the phone other than tethering apps and removing crapware is to take over complete control of the phone. You can load the ROM that you want when you want and the phone as you want.

I agree that it isn't for everyone (as said above) and I wasn't rooted on my first EVO that was replaced for a hardware issue, but my current EVO has been rooted since January and considering what a techie I am, I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

How many people really use their manufacturer warranty? I find it rare to hear of someone that actually sends their unit to the manufacturer. I've certainly read posts from folks that do but I'd say that's a very small group of people.

The ol' Galaxy S here in the states. 5 months after the EVO has 2.2 Samsung tries to start pushing it. Another month before they get it right. Par for the course with Samsung the last few years. That's biggest reason I'll never buy a phone they write software for.

But, everyone has their own opinion. No problem with that. Helps everyone, really, since it keeps the manufacturers in business and competing with one another to one up the next guy. I love seeing friends with phones they like no matter what the model or OS.

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Something i really enjoy is underclock while the screen is off, and enjoying LOADS better battery life after loading a custom rom.

On stock evo's the processor runs at 1ghz he whole time even if your screen is off and your not doing anything. Once you root, you can use setCPU to underclock while the screen is off and use a governor that scaes your cpu to the needed mhz so your phonw ill run smoothly without wasting battery. You can also overclock your phone if you want some extra speed or you want a game to be a little smoother/faster.

rtd13

Feb 17, 2011
www.rondubinphotography.com
FWIW, I rooted using UnRevoked3 (which took about 5 minutes) soley so I could use Bloat Freezer (great app) and stop all of the unnecessary crap from loading and stopped there since the word is we're supposed to be getting GB. I'd go all in if there wasn't going to be an OTA update on the horizon but I figure I'll reroot once the update comes through and not have to deal with flashing roms at that point. I'll also delete all the bloatware at that point too.

Does that make sense or am I waiting for nothing and should just go the Cyanogen route now?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You're waiting for nothing, once the update comes out, there will be a rooted version you can flash and you wont even have to re root.

Reactions: rtd13

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, don't wait. The newer versions of GB are already available via custom ROMs. Once the official update hits there will be a rooted versions of it available to flash, if you want to return to stock. I have a feeling, though, that once you start trying out all those cool custom ROMs you won't feel it necessary to return to stock! ;-)

Reactions: rtd13

rtd13

Feb 17, 2011
www.rondubinphotography.com
Thanks for the advice, I already D/Ld ROM Manager so I'm on a slippery slope...

The last question I have, I did a nandroid backup, backed up all my apps with Astro.

Now, I would DL the ROM, flash it and do a restore/install apps from Astro and I should be where I'm at now as far as app data, paid apps, email accounts and most importantly, my Angry Birds levels? ;)

Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Ron

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I already D/Ld ROM Manager so I'm on a slippery slope...

The last question I have, I did a nandroid backup, backed up all my apps with Astro.

Now, I would DL the ROM, flash it and do a restore/install apps from Astro and I should be where I'm at now as far as app data, paid apps, email accounts and most importantly, my Angry Birds levels? ;)

Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Ron

I think Astro only backs up the apps, not the data. You should download the free version of Titanium Backup to backup apps and the data.

BTW, your paid apps are linked to your Google account with the Android Market, so those are safe even if you erase them.

vaelyan

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I could care less about gingerbread on my evo or the new sense UI, all I want is 2.2.1 where the misdial bug has been fixed. All the damn time I call or send a text and it winds up being to the wrong person. The worst is when I'm driving so I'm not looking real close at who the phone says I'm calling and it ends up being the wrong person. I know its not me since when I'm driving I only use the favorites widget and the person I wind up with isn't even in my favorites.

I love my evo, and will get an evo 3d, but it pisses me off to no end that have yet to receive an update to 2.2.1 to correct an issue that Google fixed over 6 months ago.

fussnfeathers

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
for those that missed it...

Both the HTC Thunderbolt and Evo 4G are scheduled to receive a Gingerbread update in late June, according to an email exchange with an HTC representative. The rep was responding to a frustrated customer who vented about the lack of the update in Verizon’s premiere 4G handset. The irony is, that Gingerbread has been out for over 4 months and most wireless handsets haven’t updated to it. It’s a common issue as updates have to go to the manufacturer, then be approved by the provider, before going to an over the air update.

My understanding is that the EVO will not get the new Sense UI, and will retain the current GUI,

taguluchi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
for those that missed it...

Both the HTC Thunderbolt and Evo 4G are scheduled to receive a Gingerbread update in late June, according to an email exchange with an HTC representative. The rep was responding to a frustrated customer who vented about the lack of the update in Verizon

taguluchi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, don't wait. The newer versions of GB are already available via custom ROMs. Once the official update hits there will be a rooted versions of it available to flash, if you want to return to stock. I have a feeling, though, that once you start trying out all those cool custom ROMs you won't feel it necessary to return to stock! ;-)

I have a feeling once I do ill love it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez