G4 Pictures rotating after sharing/sending them?

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else take a picture with the stock camera app, it is in proper orientation, and then share it or even send it directly in a message, and it shows up rotated suddenly? Gallery still shows it normal on the G4. But attachments, messaging app (Hangouts), and even uploading to this forum, the picture is suddenly rotated the wrong direction.

I'm stock AT&T version.

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Sometimes on sending an SMS text message it shows up rotated forcing me to rotate before sending.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
At least you can sometimes see it being rotated before you send. Mine's always a surprise. But it's doing it about 100% of the time, so maybe t not so much of a surprise anymore.

-Posted via the Android Central App on my LG G4-

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, I've tried messing around in settings and whatnot, can't find anything.
Anyone have a solution for this? Maybe LG will send out another update.

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site
When I shoot in portrait mode, with this phone or with the older G2, then copy the pictures to the computer, they show as landscape mode (or is it the other way around...), and I have to rotate them before editing or just keeping for backup on the computer. I guess its a similar issue.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
When I shoot in portrait mode, with this phone or with the older G2, then copy the pictures to the computer, they show as landscape mode (or is it the other way around...), and I have to rotate them before editing or just keeping for backup on the computer. I guess its a similar issue.

Interesting. I believe all of the photos I've taken so far have been shot portrait...and then, despite looking fine (portrait) in the gallery app (and 3rd party galleries like Quickpic), after sending/sharing the photo, it has become rotated in the place I shared it. To landscape.

So this has been an issue since the G2? o_O

Maybe they appear normal on the phone because of the accelerometer?

Hmm...what to do, what to do...

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
May be something to do with the metadata. When displayed on the gallery it is maybe reading that which orientation to display and then when posted somewhere else it is using the raw image. If that is the case then it may not be the phones fault. Just a thought but I'm no expert.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
In for a fix. They also get uploaded to One Drive sideways or upside down. So odd!

Yup and Google Drive too. It's like the photo is "supposed" to really be landscape, but I shot it portrait and it stays portrait on the phone.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just tested it.

Took two photos of my old bugdroid speaker guy (missing his antennae), one taken in landscape and one taken in portrait.
Then sent both images to myself in Gmail.
The landscape image was downloaded with a "-L" at the end of its name; the portrait image was named with a "-P" at the end.

Results:
The landscape image with the -L remained in landscape orientation.
The portrait image with the -P rotated 90 degrees to become landscape orientation.

And here are the images.

20150611_022347-L.jpg20150611_022502-P.jpg

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Haha I just posted a picture to another thread and it came out sideways. Grrrrr

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I'm honestly surprised this thread hasn't gotten more attention! Maybe people aren't sharing pictures much--or are only taking landscape photos? lol.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
It's funny because in the Gallery app it shows the dimensions as landscape...

3efedd42a177a2301703ba8460433fee.jpg

... But in Google Photos it shows the correct portrait dimensions...

827cafd0dcfc4dd4d0eacd982e7badfc.jpg

And even when you post the photo on the forums or share it through email etc. from Google Photos it still shows sideways

Really hope LG fixes this soon. I imagine it will be an app update and not a system update. There is really no easy way to fix the orientation without doing an edit to the photo first and have the Gallery app rewrite it.

Sent from my LG-H811

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I've heard contacting LG is a bit of a headache, but do they have product forums or some way to give them a heads up about this to perhaps speed up the process of a fix?

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I've heard contacting LG is a bit of a headache, but do they have product forums or some way to give them a heads up about this to perhaps speed up the process of a fix?

Since I didn't get an answer, and I've read that LG's twitter account is rather silent in terms of responses, I decided to just take a shot in the dark and send an e-mail to customer support at the main LG website. It allows you to reference a device, so I used my AT&T G4. I also included a link to this forum topic in the e-mail. Will update if I hear back.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Update on LG's response:

So I received an e-mail from LG customer care tonight. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed! Speedy, and a very professional response.
The rep definitely read my e-mail about the pictures rotating because they had clearly come to this thread and read through it since I linked them to it. They said they currently haven't been made aware of this so there is no known issue on it yet, but said that this is not normal and will send my e-mail higher up the chain to the appropriate people to escalate the issue.

Now we just wait, like before, but at least someone, somewhere at LG is aware of it for certain. :)

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Update on LG's response:

So I received an e-mail from LG customer care tonight. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed! Speedy, and a very professional response.
The rep definitely read my e-mail about the pictures rotating because they had clearly come to this thread and read through it since I linked them to it. They said they currently haven't been made aware of this so there is no known issue on it yet, but said that this is not normal and will send my e-mail higher up the chain to the appropriate people to escalate the issue.

Now we just wait, like before, but at least someone, somewhere at LG is aware of it for certain. :)
Awesome! Nice to know they are paying attention to the emails they receive and not just sending canned responses.

Looking forward to a fix.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress