V30: A hit or a dud?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I like to see the results of the DxOMark rating on the V30 camera.
I've got a Pixel XL now, and the camera on it is quite amazing. Don't want to take a step back on that front.
I owned a G2 back in the day, and it was wonderful.

I've tried the Pixel camera. Pretty similar to Samsung. I feel as if they automatically enhanced the photo. I could easily achieve the same result with Snapseed, a photo editing app.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The LG forums have always been fairly quiet, even right up to launch date. The one thing I always look forward to though is the picture threads. Plus they are usually more interesting pictures, not just people's pets and whatever they had for dinner. I love LG cameras, I've had every flagship since the G4 and I'll probably get the V30 some time this year.

LG users are indeed a smaller group of people. They are definitely getting up there, still very difficult for a Korean company to beat American giants. Samsung is definitely Americanized, providing jobs all over USA, partnering with Apple with their new screens. Apple and Google have a stronger hold on the wallets of Americans. They could take out the headphone jack and still make billions. Heck, take away more features, they'd still sell.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I like to see the results of the DxOMark rating on the V30 camera.
I've got a Pixel XL now, and the camera on it is quite amazing. Don't want to take a step back on that front.
I owned a G2 back in the day, and it was wonderful.

1.6 aperture with real glass lens, PLUS a 13MP wide angle, proven highly useful. If you aren't impressed, then good luck and enjoy the Pixel 2 with no headphone jack, no 2nd camera, no microSD, nothing!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I am not leaning toward the Pixel 2 XL, but rather leaning toward the V30, frankly. I really loved my G2 years back - a wonderful but overlooked phone.

I like the idea of a wide angle lens in addition to the field of view. I used to be deep into photography in the days of film, and one really awesome and effective practice of pro photographers was the use of wider lenses. I recall looking through a Nat Geo magazine and noting that just about every shot was with a 28mm lens or less. So I ran out and bought a Nikkor 28mm and 24mm. The 24mm was my fave and it was the lens that got the most OMG's from friends looking at my pics. So, I think LG's choice of a wide angle lens is wonderful.

I have been using SnapSeed since it dropped - plus other photo apps - and while I have no interest arguing what the best cellphone camera is, it's commonly held that the Pixel does a great job. Everyone in my family owns a new S8 and we compare pics all the time. There's some chance that with enough time in PhotoShop, I could get their S8 pics to look the same as what comes from my Pixel XL, but the point is, I don't have to.

For me, the Achilles heel for the Pixel XL is the horrible bluetooth connection - it stutters with all of my BT devices. This is the #1 reason for me, and countless other Pixel owners, to dump the Pixel with this new crop of phones coming up. I feel confident that LG will get BT right, plus there are so many other unique features of the V30.

As of now, I think the V30 is the top pick of the crop - on paper. I look forward to extensive owner reviews and the DxOMark analysis.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of in the mixed camp. The V30 has astounding specs and is (in my opinion) one of the best phablet contenders out there. I'd pick up a V30 before a Note phone any day. But then there is the brand hype - a lot of users will go for the bigger brands, the Apple and Samsung - and so LG unfortunately gets eclipsed.

Yes, LG could amp up its marketing and advertising for their products; but I think that in some ways, that won't help. A lot of users will buy what's "in" and what's "popular," and so their first two thoughts will very often be Apple or Samsung. Which is so unfortunate, because I think LG is a top player in the cell phone world.

willypguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I am considering switching to the v30 from the Note 8. I am also getting a Pixel 2 XL unlocked.

The Note 8 battery life is meh for me, despite a factory reset. The smaller battery compared to the Note 7 is definitely a factor.

I am looking forward to the cameras on the v30.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
LG's are not as popular as Samsung and Apple. But at the times, the G2, G3 and G4 were amazing phones and cheaper by comparison.

Who cares if this section is active or not, it's getting mostly great reviews so far. In a few months the price will drop $100-200 and will be a better value versus Samsung and Apple (assuming you dont need their ecosystems or S pens lol)

If the battery lasts longer than my iphone 7 plus while gaming i'll switch back to LG.

citronbull

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a few LG in the wild. From G4 to V20 and some mid tier phones that I can't identify. LG is not as easy to distinguish as crApple or Samsung.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I've seen a few LG in the wild. From G4 to V20 and some mid tier phones that I can't identify. LG is not as easy to distinguish as crApple or Samsung.

I think that this is a regional thing.

I've seen plenty of v20 phones in the wild and around here they are very popular. Granted Samsung and Apple are the most popular but the v20 isn't very far behind.

If LG paid for the stores and carriers to push their phones like Apple and Samsung does and really advertise their products with decent commercials like they do it would be a different story then.

Mac

Revelation Sound

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
I wanted to buy the LG G6 when it came out. However due to the chip not being the latest and certain features being a little behind I decided to wait for the G7. However once the V30 came out and all the positive video reviews and comments from places like CNET I got very excited about the new phone. It had nothing to do with LG marketing but with word of mouth on the forums. This was a very helpful video.
https://youtu.be/Iz9x8OwSuLA

Needless to say I don't miss my Iphone 6 and love this phone very much. I truly believe it is one of the top phones for 2017 and I look forward in using it every day.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, the lack of activity in this forum has me thinking that the V30 will be a dud regarding sales. If phone nerds can't get excited for a well-speced device, I'm thinking the general population will hardly be aware of it's release, especially with Pixel, iPhone, and residual Samsung dust clouding the field.
I also think that LG's poor handling of it's marketing of the phone will also put a dent in sales.
That said, I think this increases the probability of deals (even outside of he BOGOs announced) and price cuts relatively soon, which is a plus.

What are your thoughts?

Well, if you're a media fanatic and audiophile, this is a clear hit. No other phone has the sound, or camera settings that the v30 has. It's also a speed demon too. Sure there are other phones a bit faster, but unless you're doing a side - by-side comparison. Who's going to notice. Really.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Walked in Verizon store to hold the phone in my hand...felt really cheap, almost to plastic for $840 asking price. Walked out .

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I bet you have to take their. payment plan to get the Visa card? Nobody is deducting payments automatically from me.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Is this a Verizon promo..? Please more details, and thanks!
Nope, both through LG (but to get the rebate card you need to purchase through Verizon I believe). Just purchase the V30 and sign up for them. You can find both links on the Verizon site.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
My original "505" LG G4 finally gave in to the infamous bootloop problem Wednesday night after 2.5 years of use. My ATT branded V30 arrived Friday at noon-ish.

Yes, LG could use a lot of help in the marketing department, but I like the V30 based on one day of use.

V30 is faster and runs much cooler temperatures than my G4.
V30 gets much longer SoT with a single battery charge.
What little I have used the speaker, the G4 speaker seemed better, but the V30 headphone system is NICE.
The G4 had a nice camera; I have not yet played with the V30 camera enough yet.
Not a fan of the glass back, but the V30 is pretty. I might get a protective case for it, maybe.
The built-in FM radio is nice to have.

Not sure the always-on screen makes up for the missing notification LED.

The id10t who designed the Android 7 blob emojis should be dragged into the street and shot, as an example to others....

Last edited:

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think that this is a regional thing.

I've seen plenty of v20 phones in the wild and around here they are very popular. Granted Samsung and Apple are the most popular but the v20 isn't very far behind.

If LG paid for the stores and carriers to push their phones like Apple and Samsung does and really advertise their products with decent commercials like they do it would be a different story then.

Mac
I agree it's regional... I haven't seen any v20s but I've seen plenty of g6s