11-06-2016 05:26 AM
555 ... 1617181920 ...
tools
    Comparing it to the n7, what are the big differences?

I know it is bluetooth only, but I hear the thing is it hardly had any customization features. No drag and drop for music and files.

I never had an apple product, always android. At this point with all this n7 drama, I wish it was all done. I'm waiting for a v20 at this point.

Thank you
    If you dun have it before, why dun you try it? Instead of just listening to others. Surely there is a reason why it is the most popular phone in the world (by a huge margin).

I speak for both Android and iPhone.
    badMojo69 likes this.
    10-13-2016 10:25 PM
    The note 4 is the best phone I've ever had, but mine died after 22 months so I upgraded to this fragile flawed failure.

Infrared remote
    Removable battery
    Solid and tough
    Sd card
    Gorgeous screen
    Smooth stock but great roms too
    Mhl
    10-13-2016 10:27 PM
    If you dun have it before, why dun you try it? Instead of just listening to others. Surely there is a reason why it is the most popular phone in the world (by a huge margin).

I speak for both Android and iPhone.
    Believe me, the temptation is there, but the customization is what scares me.
    10-13-2016 10:30 PM
    Just got off the phone with T-Mobile and they have a Note 5 certified pre owened for $499 and $0 upfront. But I'm going to think about the Note 4 again. Its easier to pay eip than paying out right for us right now. I never did like the back of the note 4 kinda bulky. My Note 4 seemed to be slowing down the last few months of having it. Maybe if I get it I'll keep it stock and not root. I've out grown rooting. Plus I like the newer features Samsung has and I'm afraid the Note 4 may never get them.
    10-13-2016 10:40 PM
    2 cans and a wire string because thats what i feels like i'm going back to after giving up the note 7
    Joeykool likes this.
    10-13-2016 11:08 PM
    Right now, I'm using my old white S5, but it's getting slow and has a major lag, so I'm strongly considering buying a 64GB pink gold Note 5 off of eBay. That would hopefully get me to the next Note release. It's $600, but I can't think of any current or soon-to-come phones that I really want (unless the blue S7E rumor is true, but even then I'm not thrilled with the form of the phone).
    10-13-2016 11:24 PM
    I would bet no edge version will be available option for the S8, just an S8 plus. Both will probably have slightly curved edges like the Note7.
    Wouldn't that hurt Note 8 sales a bit if the only difference with the Note 8 is the Spen? I almost wonder if they will skip the Note next year to let things cool down.
    10-13-2016 11:58 PM
    Where does one start? The iPhone is a "smartphone" in the same way spam is meat. It only technically qualifies. It continues to fall further behind every year.

No always-on display, no wireless charging, no quick charging, mundane aesthetics, no NFC tap-to-share, inferior display, only JUST got optical image stabilization, an OS that gives you no live information (unlike widgets in Android and live tiles on WIndows), no... headphone jack, I could go on.

It basically does less than any flagship smartphone on the market.
    Joeykool and ggrr8t like this.
    10-14-2016 12:03 AM
    Definitely not getting a 8 mths old S7E or 1 year old Note 5, when S8 is less than half a year away. Really want a Note series but unless the next Note (or whatever it's called) comes out at around the same time as S8, if not I dun think I can wait for so long.
    10-14-2016 12:31 AM
    I already have the S7 Edge, but I'll wait patiently for Samsung's next flagship. Wether it's a Note or they change its name.
    10-14-2016 12:33 AM
    The Note 4 is not updated even to Marshmallow, let alone the newest UI (and it never will). Might be wrong about Marshmallow, though, but if it is, that's the last update it'll see. The Note 5 will see Nougat, but that's way down the line.
    Huh? MM has been on the Note 4 for months now, and Good Lock UI runs perfect on it. Not missing anything on it compared to the Note 5 really ...
    10-14-2016 12:57 AM
    Right now, I'm using my old white S5, but it's getting slow and has a major lag, so I'm strongly considering buying a 64GB pink gold Note 5 off of eBay. That would hopefully get me to the next Note release. It's $600, but I can't think of any current or soon-to-come phones that I really want (unless the blue S7E rumor is true, but even then I'm not thrilled with the form of the phone).
    I haven't seen any Pink Note 5's on E Bay
    10-14-2016 02:41 AM
    Lack of customization, NO wireless or fast charging!.... The best way to sum up an iPhone is.... BORING, BORING, BORING AND BORING!!!!
    Joeykool likes this.
    10-14-2016 03:20 AM
    I have both the note 5 and the S7 edge. You are correct that the edge is the closet you'll get to the note 7 spec wise. It is a tad bit smaller but not by that much. I am using the free 256sd card I got and it works fine. Both phones are good. The only reason I didn't stick with my note five was because I wanted to utilize my SD card and even though my note 5 was 64gb I somehow ran out of space.
    Interested in selling that note 5?
    jordans0nly likes this.
    10-14-2016 03:26 AM
    Thank you again...i don't think the iPhone is for me. I like tech nerd stuff....lol
    10-14-2016 03:30 AM
    Just got off the phone with T-Mobile and they have a Note 5 certified pre owened for $499 and $0 upfront. But I'm going to think about the Note 4 again. Its easier to pay eip than paying out right for us right now. I never did like the back of the note 4 kinda bulky. My Note 4 seemed to be slowing down the last few months of having it. Maybe if I get it I'll keep it stock and not root. I've out grown rooting. Plus I like the newer features Samsung has and I'm afraid the Note 4 may never get them.
    That's what I was looking for on tmobile site, but I didn't see any certified used note 5s. Maybe if I had called instead I'd have found one. But at any rate, got a new note 5 on the eip plan, mfg warranty covered-debating on whether to add Jump to it or not. Love the Note 5. Not sure if your bank participates but Samsung Pay was a huge draw for me. I can use it on the N5 anywhere you slide a card-no need to search for tap not pay registers. Note 4 uses android pay which is limited to tap n pay type registers-like apple pay is. Now, note 4 wasn't a bad phone at all-inclusive had that as well in the past, but between the 2 the Note 5 is better overall in my opinion, along with being a year newer - out in 2015, n4 in 2014. N4 does have remove able back and SD slot if you need them, so depending on your needs one or the other may be better for your case
    I'm really thinking turning mine in really soon. I used to have the Note 4 before I got the S7E. I seen on eBay they have them as low as the mid $200's. What is the latest software the N4 has? Will they ever update to the Grace UI since the 7 is no more? Also should I go back to the 4 or try the 5? But I'll miss the AOD no matter which one I get. Will the S-pen fit into the N4? Decisions decisions?? Which phone has the better battery life? My Note 4 was lossing battery life before I sold it.
    10-14-2016 03:30 AM
    If like to get an att branded n5 for a second phone if I could find one cheap enough
    10-14-2016 03:34 AM
    I have a Note 7 that I'll have to return (like the rest of you Note 7 users), and I'm having a dilemma deciding what to do after that. Everything else that is out now feels/looks like a downgrade. Aside from the old Note 5 (or even older Notes) nothing has stylus. The Note 7 was the only thing with dual ambient light sensors (it was the only thing I was always happy with brightness wise with ambient light sensors/auto brightness enabled), only thing with GG5, and one of the few things with USB 3.1.

I still have my previous phone (an HTC One m8) that I never traded in, so I could either stick with that and keep an eye open for what is coming out. (Ex: Huawei Mate 9, Lenovo Phab2 Pro, LG v20, Pixel XL, Predator 6, etc). Given that I've conceded that I'm going to have to give up the stylus if I want anything modern and decent I at least don't want to give up on a decent screen to body ratio (Note has an 80.94% screen to body ratio and 518 ppi).

Here is what I see as drawbacks to what's currently out there, what is scheduled to be out soon, and some of the rumored devices:

Note 5 - old, no external sd card slot, small battery, short battery life, weaker hardware, software will not be updated. What little support is still provided for this phone will not be around much longer. - I'm not really even considering this an option at this point.

S7 Edge - Probably the closest we can get to a Note7, but its smaller, sharper edged, older (technology wise and software wise). Old microUSB technology (slower charging). Only supports up to 200 gb sd card (good bye 56gb the phone will never see) (76.09% screen to body ratio). (I've got a 2016 Gear VR, and Samsung wireless charger, both of which I should be able to send to Verizon/Samsung and get reimbursed for unless I decide to settle for a S7 edge).

HTC 10 - Looks almost exactly like my HTC One m8. I feel like if I were to go with it I'd be paying for somethings that is almost the same as what I already have. They've also made the speakers worse than the m8s. (They only have a single mono speaker on the HTC 10).

V20 - 70.24% screen to body ratio, 513 ppi, USB 2.0

Pixel XL - 71.22% screen to body ratio, Ugly looking back (seen the back? who's idea was it to make the top part a shiny glass - like the the Note7 for the camera and above, but make the rest of the back - more than half an ugly non-matching color?), no external SD card slot (they say you get unlimited backup of pictures and video to the cloud, but the key words there are backup and cloud. What if you're in an area where you can't access wi-fi or a mobile network, and streaming video over the mobile network is going to suck up your allotted data).

Phab 2 Pro - Only available in gold or grey. Looks like it has physical buttons (triangle, circle, and square) at the bottom as opposed to lights that shut off and hide. 70.83% screen to body ratio.LCD screen.MicroSD limited to 128gb.
    https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v20

Mate 9 - Seems like the most promising, but everything about it is pretty much still rumors. The Long Island version looks very much like the Note 7, but word is that version will only be available in China. Manhattan specs are currently unknown. Unknown what carriers in the US would have the phone(s). Rumor is it may not have sdcard slot, and may only have 498ppi, and it may be usb 2.0.
    Huawei Mate 9 may have curved screen model with Daydream support | Android Central

ZenPhone 3 Deluxe - Probably has the highest screen to body ratio next to the Note 7 with 79% screen-to-body, but may have other things that negate it. Colors limited to silver, grey, and gold. MicroSD only supports up to 128gb. 3000 mAh battery. ZenUI, and may never get software updates. (Doesn't look like this phone is offered on my carrier - Verizon - anyway, so makes this a moot option).
    ZenFone 3 Deluxe (ZS570KL) | Phones | ASUS USA

What do you think? Should I go back to using my HTC One m8, and see what comes out, or settle for something that is out now?
    I would not recommand you to buy Mate 9,
    first reason is it's from Huawei
    second reason is it's Chinese company
    and lastly, they are just copycats selling you lower price with rack quality. After a year of using, you will notice it. I think it is better to stick with your m8
    10-14-2016 04:00 AM
    Here were the major differences for me when deciding between downgrading from the N7 to either the S7 edge or the iPhone 7 Plus:

Cons for the iPhone
    Screen quality/size: The iPhone 7 plus is roughly the same size as the N7, but its screen size is identical to the much smaller S7 edge, and the Samsungs have a superior quality screen.
    Battery life/charging: The battery life and wireless charging are a definite plus.
    Audio jack: I have no problem with ditching the audio jack, I DO have a problem with not having a dedicated audio port. You have to decide between listening to your music or charging your phone.
    VR compatability: None on the iPhone. It's not a real biggie at this point.
    UI: The lack of customizable widgets is glaring.
    Samsung Pay: Yes, Apple has a pay system, but Samsung's is almost universal. Except for gas stations and ATMs, you can use it anywhere, even the oldest, jankiest card readers at the corner store.

Cons for the Samsung:
    Camera: the 2x optical zoom on the iPhone is an absolute game-changer. I can't count how many times I could have used that feature. And I truly believe the iPhone takes slightly better pictures in general.
    Speakers: The iPhone has dual speakers, and relatively speaking, it makes the S7 sound like a tin can.

It seems like it isn't even a choice, but I do think the iPhone advantages are more important. I'm torn because I'm 99% sure we will see, at the very least, the camera improvements on the S8 when it rolls out. I want to minimize my financial burden, and the $100 off the S7 is very tempting, so I'm really not sure what to do.
    10-14-2016 05:13 AM
    Anyone know how good the Note Edge is? I think its still available on T-Mobile website? I don't think there isn't any support for it anymore. If it's cheaper I could go that route if not I'll go back to the S7E again.
    I still have mine. Love that phone. I upgraded to the N7 only because I damaged my Edge while at work. It works but the water damage has taken it's toll on it.
    10-14-2016 05:28 AM
    Note 5 all the way
    amyf27 and Carlo Villa like this.
    10-14-2016 05:31 AM
    Where does one start? The iPhone is a "smartphone" in the same way spam is meat. It only technically qualifies. It continues to fall further behind every year.

No always-on display, no wireless charging, no quick charging, mundane aesthetics, no NFC tap-to-share, inferior display, only JUST got optical image stabilization, an OS that gives you no live information (unlike widgets in Android and live tiles on WIndows), no... headphone jack, I could go on.

It basically does less than any flagship smartphone on the market.
    Umm, they jumped ahead this year of android. Best display. It may not have the resolution but that doesn't matter on a small display as much as the quality of it and accuracy. IPhone can share without bumping phones. They have nfc for Apple pay. They have had ois since the 6 plus. The s8 will have no headphone jack. It's analog and old tech. Digital is the way you want to go. Android is old tech honestly. IPhone is the fastest phone with no one even close in performance. Also use an iPad charger if you want faster charging. Fast charging is what got the note 7 into trouble.

Next time please look up the facts. I own both. N7, s7e, ip7plus.
    10-14-2016 05:32 AM
    The Note 4 is not updated even to Marshmallow, let alone the newest UI (and it never will). Might be wrong about Marshmallow, though, but if it is, that's the last update it'll see. The Note 5 will see Nougat, but that's way down the line.

No AOD on the 4, yes on the 5. And nope, no S-Pen from different models will fit in any other Note. For me, both had decent battery life, but the 5 took the crown by mere minutes. The Note 4, however, has older cells, so chances are they won't last as long. But you get removable battery and SD card with the 4, something you don't have on the 5. But you get wireless charging and newer software (and at least a year's worth of updates in the future) on the 5. No waterproofing on either, so that you'd miss from the 7. Also better camera and manual mode on the 5.
    Lol the Note 4 got MM before the Note Edge. And my Note Edge has MM. At least from Sprint.
    10-14-2016 05:32 AM
    i guarantee my vision surpasses yours. ive taken every test and exam multiple times for years. from a foot or less, i can see the pixels on iphone. samsung screens are pentile matrix, iphone lcd is rgb.

my best friend is an eye surgeon (forget his title but he wears glasses for everything) and claims i have better visual acuity than anyone else hes ever seen. my comment was maily that lcd is ourdated tech, and pixel density between rgb and pentile is not accurate to directly compare, but the facts remains i can see iphone pixels more easily at further distance than note 5/7 s5/6/7. galaxy s3 at 720 is awful, s4 at 1080 is better, 1440 if its almost a foot away i cant see them. iphone at a foot i can see pixel gaps. i also have a mild red/green visual weakness where next to eachother they seem to 'hover' which exacerbates it and highlights the issue.

ipad air at 2 feet i can discern pixel gaps crazy easy; also a 'retina' display. to the rest of you its not an issue, to me its disappointing. i use 2k 1440p 27" monitors for work. still can see every pixel.
    Lol. Sorry but you are wrong. Like I said tests under a microscope show the retina screen is better at hiding the pixels than the amoled display.

Displaymate and antech had the tests.
    10-14-2016 05:45 AM
    Umm, they jumped ahead this year of android. Best display. It may not have the resolution but that doesn't matter on a small display as much as the quality of it and accuracy. IPhone can share without bumping phones. They have nfc for Apple pay. They have had ois since the 6 plus. The s8 will have no headphone jack. It's analog and old tech. Digital is the way you want to go. Android is old tech honestly. IPhone is the fastest phone with no one even close in performance. Also use an iPad charger if you want faster charging. Fast charging is what got the note 7 into trouble.

Next time please look up the facts. I own both. N7, s7e, ip7plus.
    Both displays are accurate to the point it is unnoticeable from perfect. Other than that the display is better on Samsung's flagships. The audio jack provides better quality than anything else, and is universal. Fast charging isn't what got the note 7 into trouble. Samsung Pay is better than Apple as MST is more ubiquitous.

hasasimo likes this.
    10-14-2016 05:46 AM
555 ... 1617181920 ...