Can I get some help with another GS3 screen (or digitizer) problem?

dc984

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Another GS3 screen (or digitizer) problem - please help !

Dear forum experts,

I have a problem with my Samsung Galaxy S3 screen, but I'm not sure whether it's a screen or a digitizer problem. The reason that I'm asking is because I can get a screen replacement kit on Amazon for about $18 (excluding digitizer), whereas a full repair of the screen (presumably replacing a faulty digitzer as well, if any) costs $150.

Problem/observations:
- I am able to turn my phone on and my screen works normally
- However, once the screen goes black (either because I press the power button or due to idling), the screen cannot be turned back on :(
- The lights at the bottom of the phone and the charging light are working
- I know that the phone is responding to me pressing the power button because the lights at the bottom turn on when I press it, it's just that the screen remains black
- I can swipe to unlock and press icons (blindly), and there is sound, so I know that the screen is responding to my touch, but the screen remains black :(

I have tried:
- Removing the battery and pressing the power button for 1 minute to drain power
- Factory reset

Basically is my screen or digitizer broken?

Thank you so much for all of your expert advice. :)

Regards,
dc

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Another GS3 screen (or digitizer) problem - please help !

Welcome to the forums. There may also be a motherboard issue as well, but I would try getting the screen replaced. I would ask around for any local repair shops and get an estimate. Sometimes swapping the screen can damage other components like ribbons and connector clips.

From an AOSP M8

dc984

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Another GS3 screen (or digitizer) problem - please help !

Thanks Golf.

For some reason my phone repaired itself (?!). It's fully functional now. Thanks for your help anyway.