Galaxy S5 black screen upon wake up

oneccnguru

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Verizon Galaxy S5-mine is 1 month old and Samsung wants me to send it in to "investigate"; they say around 5-7 days.........ae you kidding me?
Tried all of the above to no avail

TeddyTri1991

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey Guys,

So, I have fixed the freakin screen problem. I brought my phone to a Samsung Service Center, and the technician said that my LCD was defective and she replaced it with a new one. Now my S5 is perfectly fine and feels brand new too!

(I know they didn't just gave me a new phone cuz I specifically remember that I have marks on my bezels, and its still there)

Hope you guys would do the same.

Cheers

Killa Thraxx

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Mine has been doing this about every 24 hours. I factory reset twice. I had a bunch of Tasker profiles set up and I had hoped that that was the problem, but it happened again this morning without Tasker running. I have a Verizon S5. I'm curious to hear if this is happening on all variants of the phone. I've been running with the fingerprint lock on and I'm going to see if using no lock makes any difference.

Posted via Android Central App

Man I have a Verizon S5 and I'm having the EXACT SAME ISSUE. Let me start by saying all my smart phones have been Samsung since the 1st Epic on Sprint. S1 (Sprint), S2 (Sprint), Note 2 & 3 (Sprint), and I regret to say that the S5 is the worst Sammy I've ever owned! I'm a Samsung fan boy but this S5 issue has me wanting to get rid of it and get a G3! Between my screen going completely black when I try to wake it up, or the keyboard taking forever and a day to pop up (not to mention sometimes the keyboard freezes and won't type anything for about 5 seconds, then it'll spit everything out), I'm EXTREMELY dissapointed. My rooted Note 3 which is still on Sprint has NEVER had this issue, even when it was stock! Never had to change animations scales or anything, IT JUST WORKS! Definitely looking to trade for a G3. So dissapointed. Also I actually worked for Sprint as a technician so I know all the resets and all that, its a software issue. Touchwiz is a poison man...and of course Sammy won't fix it, they just add more **** we don't need further clogging up space. Time for a change. I'll still upgrade to the Note 4 in October but on Verizon I wanna explore, just not iphone ! lol

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Man I have a Verizon S5 and I'm having the EXACT SAME ISSUE. Let me start by saying all my smart phones have been Samsung since the 1st Epic on Sprint. S1 (Sprint), S2 (Sprint), Note 2 & 3 (Sprint), and I regret to say that the S5 is the worst Sammy I've ever owned! I'm a Samsung fan boy but this S5 issue has me wanting to get rid of it and get a G3! Between my screen going completely black when I try to wake it up, or the keyboard taking forever and a day to pop up (not to mention sometimes the keyboard freezes and won't type anything for about 5 seconds, then it'll spit everything out), I'm EXTREMELY dissapointed. My rooted Note 3 which is still on Sprint has NEVER had this issue, even when it was stock! Never had to change animations scales or anything, IT JUST WORKS! Definitely looking to trade for a G3. So dissapointed. Also I actually worked for Sprint as a technician so I know all the resets and all that, its a software issue. Touchwiz is a poison man...and of course Sammy won't fix it, they just add more **** we don't need further clogging up space. Time for a change. I'll still upgrade to the Note 4 in October but on Verizon I wanna explore, just not iphone ! lol

If you don't like touchwiz, then don't use it.

avip248

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I don't know if anyone has posted these solutions, but here's what worked for me. I took out the battery and let it sit for 30 seconds then plugged in my phone to my computer and then placed my battery back in. This allowed my phone to turn on.

After trying this I continued to get a black screen on whenever I turned on my phone so I used this unorthodox method of wiping my phone against my shirt/sleeve which woke up my phone.

And now whenever I face this issue, I press below and above where the power button which is on the right side of my phone, then press the power button and my phone turns on.

I don't know how crazy this may sound but my phone turns on doing those last 2 methods every time I get a black screen.
Good luck!

eh1234

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I fixed mine. I had the advanced task killer app set to "crazy" when screen is off. I changed it to "disable" and haven't had the problem since.
My wife has the same phone, the s5 and never had any issues. As an experiment I asked her to put her task killer to "when screen goes off" and set to crazy, and sure enough, her screen stayed black when trying to turn it on. Only the two white soft keys stayed lit. She put it back to the other setting and it works fine again.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
To whom it may concern....

I've had this issue since April when I bought this contract free Galaxy S5 and follow all the tips on this forum... At one point I even had the idea that I solved it by tweaking some settings, but without any luck.

So I called Samsung Netherlands again, strangely enough they never heard of this problem?!?!! The tech guy told me to go to a Samsung premium server center to reload the initial software, I told them that I already this a factory reset using Kies 3. But it seams that in a Samsung service center they can reload the initial software which is not possible with Kies 3. So on friday I did this and within 20 minutes the initial software was reloaded, and cross my fingers, since 3 days no issues at all.... So maybe the initial batch got some bare software when they left the factory and the newer models where loaded with the issue fixed.

So I don't know if this is useful for anybody, but you never now, for now i'm a happy camper!

nat1971a

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Well its been over a week with no issues. So all i did was leave bluetooth enabled. Weird.

I have no sdcard
S voice is disabled
And my screen animations are turned off (window animation scale, transition animation scale, animator duration scale)
i also have no lock screen
force gpu rendering is enabled
android version 4.4.2 kernel version 3.4.0-1626427

amemmes

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I sent my phone to Samsung for the second time. I got it back over two weeks ago and the issue has not happened since. They had to replace the screen. So if you are having this issue I would contact Samsung for support.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Been tired with the black screen problem and exchanged it with Note 3. Wow, couldn't be happier! This device is awesome on every things! I don't care about finger prints feature, water resistant or heart rate sensor on S5. The Note 3 i got is working smoothly and seamlessly...and i love the s-pen also.

I would have waited for the note 4...

-Sent from Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my phone yesterday (after having dropped a few times before that) and suddenly the screen went black. No matter what I do, the display won't show up. I've tried turning it off and back on, removing the battery and replacing it (several times), pushing the volume, home, and power buttons at the same time, and still nothing happens on the screen. The window and back buttons are lighting up, I can see my indicator light flashing to show I've gotten a text or email or something, and I can even hear my notification ringtone going off, but still the screen is black.

I've had my S5 for 3 and a half weeks, and a third of the screen was already cracked, with several small sections shattered, so I think this is a hardware, not a software issue.
Any suggestions for fist steps? Should I take it into a store to get the screen/the phone replaced?

Also does anyone know if I can take my phone to a Sprint store if I have Credo Mobile?

jondiehl

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I dropped my phone yesterday (after having dropped a few times before that) and suddenly the screen went black. No matter what I do, the display won't show up. I've tried turning it off and back on, removing the battery and replacing it (several times), pushing the volume, home, and power buttons at the same time, and still nothing happens on the screen. The window and back buttons are lighting up, I can see my indicator light flashing to show I've gotten a text or email or something, and I can even hear my notification ringtone going off, but still the screen is black.

I've had my S5 for 3 and a half weeks, and a third of the screen was already cracked, with several small sections shattered, so I think this is a hardware, not a software issue.
Any suggestions for fist steps? Should I take it into a store to get the screen/the phone replaced?

Also does anyone know if I can take my phone to a Sprint store if I have Credo Mobile?
I shattered my screen a month ago after it flew out of a golf cart. I tried the local repair places and they were all either too expensive ($300) or didn't have parts yet.

I called Samsung directly and they said the repair would only cost $160 which included tax and 2 day air shipping both ways.

I shipped my phone on a Tuesday, they got it Thursday, had it fixed and through quality control by Tuesday and I had my phone like new by that Thursday again.

4 biz days plus shipping time and I was good as new and that was for an entire new screen (LCD/digitizer and all, even though mine worked fine through the shattered glass)

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Still counting and no issues.... I think the basic reinstall of the base software solved my problem!

To whom it may concern....

I've had this issue since April when I bought this contract free Galaxy S5 and follow all the tips on this forum... At one point I even had the idea that I solved it by tweaking some settings, but without any luck.

So I called Samsung Netherlands again, strangely enough they never heard of this problem?!?!! The tech guy told me to go to a Samsung premium server center to reload the initial software, I told them that I already this a factory reset using Kies 3. But it seams that in a Samsung service center they can reload the initial software which is not possible with Kies 3. So on friday I did this and within 20 minutes the initial software was reloaded, and cross my fingers, since 3 days no issues at all.... So maybe the initial batch got some bare software when they left the factory and the newer models where loaded with the issue fixed.

So I don't know if this is useful for anybody, but you never now, for now i'm a happy camper!

KeyserSose

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Tested two S5 and both had the problem. In both cases the issue was the sdcard. Factory resets were not needed. Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87