09-12-2016 03:05 AM
266 ... 7891011
tools
    I have a samsung galaxy s aviator
    It's been like this for a few months I brought it in to us cellular and they wanted 600 bucks to fix whatever the problem is but it won't turn on period and I know it's still working somehow cause the buttons on the bottom are all still lighting up is there anyway I can do anything I would be really grateful???
    10-05-2014 12:24 AM
    See quote below..
    10-06-2014 04:10 PM
    Ok, I guess I spoke too soon. After I thought I had the problem solved, and it didn't come back for a couple months, but recently it started happening again every few days. The screen would be black on wake.

So I did some more troubleshooting, and NOW I think I've found a solution that works. It hasn't happened in about a week, now. One thing I did was I uninstalled the app Tasker that I had. I'm not sure if this was really what fixed it, or if anybody else on here has Tasker, but I heard some rumors about problems that it was causing, so I got rid of it.

But, the other thing that I did, I am more hopeful about. I moved all of my apps off of the SD card, Around the same time that I got rid of Tasker, I started moving various apps to my SD card to try to speed my phone up. I noticed as I was doing so, the phone froze up and the blank screen happened twice. That gave me a clue that it might have been related to this, especially since so many people on here are flagging the SD card. I already had a bunch of apps on there, so I went back and moved everything to my device memory (which wasn't a problem since my SD card was getting full anyway). I reset the phone, and an "Android is Updating" screen came up and it looked like it was processing all of my apps. After it finished, the phone booted up normally, and it's been running fine since. If anyone wouldn't mind trying this, I'd be interested to see if it helps.

Just go into Settings > Applications > Application Manager, and scroll over to the "SD Card" tab. This list shows all apps that can be moved to the SD card as opposed to device memory, and any of them that have a check mark next to them are on the SD card. Select any such apps, and on the screen that comes up, press the "Move to Device Memory" button. After you do this for all checked apps, restart the phone. Let me know if this works. Thanks!
    Hey there,

I got the same problem my S5 mini goes black from wake up from time to time. However I checked the SD Card Apps and I don't have any Apps installed there. Therefore this cannot be the cause.

I assume this really might be a hardware problem. I'm just trying to get my hardware replaced at the place I bought it.

Regards
    10-06-2014 04:11 PM
    After quite a bit of troubleshooting, I found a very simple fix. I turned the S5 off, removed the battery, removed my SD card, put the battery back in and restarted. Then I shut it down again, put the SD card back in, restarted ... issue completely resolved and phone is booting up like normal.

Good luck!
    10-23-2014 08:20 AM
    Sounds like there's been a number of things that have worked for everybody. Although, it seems like the majority of these fixes are SD Card related, so I guess it's safe to assume that the issue is something with that. For me, moving all apps off of the SD card has fixed the problem. It's been months and I've almost forgotten I ever had it. Although one person says that didn't work for them, but I'd say if you're having this problem, start by trying one of the many suggestions that involve the SD card on here.
    10-23-2014 01:21 PM
    I don't even have an SD card installed in the phone and this issue is still happening.

Quite frustrated at this point...
    10-24-2014 05:01 PM
    I had that same problem last week. I thought my display light "blew". I tried rebooting and pulling the battery but still black screen but the two lights on either side of Home button would light up normally then go out. I discovered I had evidently turned off the Auto Brightness (unchecked the box) and slid the switch all the way over to the left or darkest setting when I had pulled down the screen from the top to check settings. I found out it was barely lit by going into a dark room and then I was able to recheck the Auto Brightness box (I could have slid the brightness slider to right also)
    10-28-2014 08:43 PM
    I have had my phone for 2 weeks and this is happening all of the time. .... should I go trade it in for the note 3?
    10-29-2014 05:59 AM
    My Phone is just 2 weeks old , the dual sim version, I am using an S View Case. I bought it from UAE and I am now in India.
    I am facing this issue for the 1st time . I tried to pull out the battery and but it seems not working.
    I cannot apply for warranty here. I am really frustrated. I been using the phone really nicely no rough use till now. So can any tell me what to do?
    Sending fro warranty is gonna take 2 weeks and lot of money.
    11-03-2014 11:03 AM
    I'm in the UK & my S5 is one month old, purchased from & connected to Vodafone, it also has the blank screen issue where it was happening randomly every day up to 4 times a day.
    The phone has now been sent away by Vodafone for what I thought would be a warranty repair...................think again if your phone has any imperfections on the case/screen (as mine had on one corner where I had to keep taking the flip case on/off to remove the battery & reset the phone) then the repair center refuse warranty claims as instructed by Vodafone & you will be charged £190 for a new screen or you have to claim on insurance even if you have not dropped the phone (basically you are encouraged to fraudulently claim you have dropped the phone).

Anyway I had the latest update, didn't install any apps, did have an sd card installed & now wish I had never upgraded from my S3 that never had any issues at all.

Miffed from England
    11-03-2014 12:50 PM
    Well i am going to report something totally bizarre but does make sense really. I read in the comments on a youtube video about black screen issues and someone mentioned that in their flipcase they stored a plastic card of some description that emits a magnetic field that interferes with the screen. So i tried this out last week. I removed my plastic train ticket from my phone case and so far no issues. I asked a collegue with a samsung galaxy s5 and the exact same plastic train ticket in her flip case and she has no issues. So weird. My train card was positioned in the lower portion of the phone and she had a different flip case to mine. has been over 6 days now
    11-12-2014 01:31 AM
    I removed my SD card and the problem went away. I'm thinking that this is due to either some corruption on the SD card itself or maybe a failed SD card.
    11-19-2014 09:30 AM
    Mine was replaced because my screen wouldn't wake at all. It would flash a green rectangle for a second, then go black upon wakeup. I tapped the back of the phone lightly repeatedly, that got the screen to work again until my replacement arrived. I'm pretty sure mine was hardware...
    11-19-2014 09:47 AM
    I have solved the screen wake up issue, at least on my phone. Re-enabled all apps. Now on the odd occasion when the home key doesn't wake it up a couple of taps on the power key will work. Not ideal I agree but at least it works. Running 4.4.2.
    11-26-2014 02:49 AM
    HEllo,
    i bought this set g900-h in august.
    it was going fine but now it have started acting strange. the screen starts sliding up. i mean the date on the uper right corner starts to show on lover right corner when the cell is idle (with screen on) e.g. reading emails etc.
    can some one help me out. as i reside in pakistan and i dont think there are any samsung official people around.
    thanksGalaxy S5 black screen upon wake up-img_20141126_142243_305.jpg
    11-26-2014 03:52 AM
    Hello eriboo,

How did you manage to solve the wake up black screen issue?
    11-27-2014 04:21 PM
    I drop my phone and I only have a black screen but I can hear the phone ring received text but the screen won't turn on?? Please help does someone know what it is??
    12-07-2014 01:54 AM
    What phone has this happened on?
    12-07-2014 11:31 AM
    i sent my phone into repair for this problem 3 times and it got sent back without repairing everytime. my fourth time i sent it in to samsung yesterday and they better fix it or im moving to apple
    01-06-2015 09:17 AM
    Same issue here on my Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-1900I) , starting to wonder why this issue seems to be so far widespread? Did Samsung release a whole batch that had faulty screens? Well my black screen happens when I power it off then back on, I get a black screen but clearily it is still booting in the background as you can hear it and the lights flash on! To get mine to work you have to give it a sharp tap on the back and the screen flickers back on! Is this a loose connection, bad solder? I have had it since Christmas and this problem only started to occur yesterday! Samsung need to be honest with its customers they must be aware of this issue but I haven't heard of any recalls going on so maybe they are buring their heads in the sand? Not good enough, I upgraded from a S3 which I have NEVER had any issues with, this is making me want to get a refund and go back to my old S3 until maybe getting a HTC instead. My opinion of Samsung and their Galaxy Phones (Had them all the way back to the S 1) is severely being lowered.
    01-18-2015 04:50 PM
    I just contacted the more than useless Samsung Customer Support Live Chat (Don't bother) which proceeded to tell me that there has been no reports of this issue even though I sent them the link to this thread in this forum! They told me they couldn't comment on this thread because it wasn't a Samsung Official Website, then proceeded to tell me that I must have done a bad software update etc. Yep I was in the car at the time the problem occured it must have done it itself! Then when I tried to remind them that I had warranty and I would return it for maybe an Apple or HTC they hungup on me! Lovely customer service Samsung, that is it I am out, returning it for a HTC most likely, Samsung and their shoddy customer service can go and jump

I also reset my phone back to Factory Default and the problem persists.
    01-18-2015 05:30 PM
    Hi, I got my GS5 last week, and I'm loving it, but it have one issue that bugging me. This issue don't happen often (only 3 times since I've got it), when I put my phone to sleep, and wake it back on, the two soft buttons on the bottom of the screen (back and multi-tasking button) lit up, but the screen does not, I have to force to take out the battery and put it back in, turn the phone back on then it would work. Any1 else having this problem as well?
    I did called the store i got it from, but they don't have any more s5 in stock , and Samsung won't replace mine (what kind of customer service is this?), the store I got it from said they have to see the issue with their own eyes to be able to exchange me a new one, IF there will be any new S5 coming in for the next week or so.
    So please I really need help on this issue, this is my first Samsung galaxy device, hell, this is my first Android device.
    Thanks!

TL;DR: my screen won't lit up upon waking the phone but the 2 buttons on the bottom of the screen lit up normally.
    Don't know where you are. But do you have a Best Buy store where you live.
    If so they have Samsung Reps in their stores. They will help you with your phone problems for free.
    01-18-2015 09:31 PM
    I just contacted the more than useless Samsung Customer Support Live Chat (Don't bother) which proceeded to tell me that there has been no reports of this issue even though I sent them the link to this thread in this forum! They told me they couldn't comment on this thread because it wasn't a Samsung Official Website, then proceeded to tell me that I must have done a bad software update etc. Yep I was in the car at the time the problem occured it must have done it itself! Then when I tried to remind them that I had warranty and I would return it for maybe an Apple or HTC they hungup on me! Lovely customer service Samsung, that is it I am out, returning it for a HTC most likely, Samsung and their shoddy customer service can go and jump

I also reset my phone back to Factory Default and the problem persists.
    Who's your carrier? I'm on my fourth s5 under warranty. Bad mic, then bad screen, then would reboot if tapped. Tmobile would overnight me a new one for 5.00 each time under warranty. Saved me a huge headache trying to deal with Samsung directly.
    01-18-2015 09:53 PM
    Who's your carrier? I'm on my fourth s5 under warranty. Bad mic, then bad screen, then would reboot if tapped. Tmobile would overnight me a new one for 5.00 each time under warranty. Saved me a huge headache trying to deal with Samsung directly.
    Wow I thaught Samsung were a better quality brand than this, considering how much their phones cost you would think it would last you for years with no issues, my S3 is still going strong almost 2 years later without ever having a problem! I am from Australia my carrier is Optus, but I bought the phone outright at another store, it did it again 3 times today with me needing to give the phone a sharp tap around the middle for the screen to flicker back to life.. faulty digitizer, screen or connector I am guessing? Why it has taken 3 weeks for the fault to appear is beyond me, I have been careful with the phone, it hasn't been dropped and sits in a protective rubber cover.

Yeah I have given up trying to deal with Samsung directly, I got hung up on when explaining my problem and they just plead ignorance to the issue.
    01-19-2015 01:30 AM
    I took my S5 back to the store where it was purchased not even 3 weeks ago, and they told me that they would have to send it off to Samsung who would check it out then decide whether to repair it or send a new one, I am hoping they just send a new one or this may end up a continuing problem, I just want a phone that works!

So back to my old S3 for at least 2 weeks while Samsung decide what to do If its a screen problem I don't know why they just don't give me a new one, because it is Samsung's warranty I guess they have to deal with it first.
    01-20-2015 04:49 AM
266 ... 7891011