Notifications

nthnu

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed something strange. I receive SMS (in stock app) and my lockscreen turns on to show me then goes off into AoD mode. Emails (gmail app) and other apps like Twitter don't turn the screen on, but there is a notification on the lockscreen. Anyone else notice that? Is there a rhyme or reason as to what wakes the screen to show certain notifications? Thanks

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have not payed attention, but then again, I haven't even set up my phone the right way yet. Been too busy at work.
I'll check tonight to see if my GS7 Edge does it.

decarlo4

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
My note edge did the same thing with my sms notifications. It would turn on for those but only sound or vibrate for all other notifications. Same thing with this phone.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's because the SMS app is a stock Samsung app. Third party apps don't have the ability to turn on the screen when a push notification comes through. Only stock Samsung apps notifications show on AOD. Hopefully in the future this will change.

Posted via the Android Central App using my badass Galaxy S7

GaryD9

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
The SMS turning on the screen is a configurable option on the Samsung messaging app. Sadly, while it was made to be configurable, samsung hasn't exposed a configuration UI for it.

If you were rooted, you could change the configuration by editing the /data/data/com.android.mms/shared_prefs/com.android.mms_preferences.xml file and change an attribute for "pref_key_backlight" to "false"

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why email notifications from the stock Samsung email app don't show on the Always On Display though? I thought calld, sms and emails would all show

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress