Call forwarding Issues

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm being running some scenarios and I think , at least for me, that call forwarding issues are because of WiFi connection. I'm not saying that it won't connect by WiFi, but I tested turning off my WiFi and within the minute like remote says it connects and call forwarding is activated with absolutely no issues. This has happened twice flawlessly. I haven't retested with WiFi back on, but I can say though that when I did have it on, and just failed to connect and would loop could not connect to call forwarding and never remotely connected to my phone.

It still hard to tell if it's the Gear Manager app or AT&T. I speculation is that since AT&T has two number tied together that it needs the 3g data to connect properly to the Gear S. I think that when the WiFi is turn out it's not allowing the 4g data information to be sent to the phone properly and having a harder time to remote connect or call forwarding. I'm wondering if it works better on WiFi they both are on the same WiFi connection but out of distance.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So I went to the store and left my phone at home WiFi on. Just as I thought I was getting call forwarding failed message and no remote connect. When I got home I stayed out of BT distance and connected the Gear to my home WiFi. Sure enough it connected both remotely and forwarding. I'm not sure if this designed to function like that but it explains the inconsistency of remote connect.

I'm hoping someone can test my theory also

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
If everything is linked with Google Voice, do we still need to turn on Call forwarding on the Gear S. I added my Gear S to my Google Voice and also setup the google voice voicemail, but I'm wondering if I still need call forwarding enabled on the Gear S, and if so, do I forward to my Gear S actual number or the Google Voice number? I will keep playing with it, just curious what you went with. Thanks!

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So I've come to the conclusion that remote connect and call forward works correctly when the phone is not connected to the internet. I'm not sure how I feel about that because that's more data that would have to be used.

Posted via the Android Central App

jdxoom

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
So here is what my testing found. Call forwarding only works when you have a small phone icon in the upper left corner. I found that my watch would tell me it was connected remotely. however it would not work. I found that I had to swipe down on the screen at which point after that the icon appeared and then call forwarding worked. IT almost seems like we have to initiate callforwarding to our phone because a message comes up on the phone saying that the S setup call forwarding.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if I am acting noobish for posting this, but I believe this is my first time seeing the message below. So my question is...do the phone and watch have to be near each other for remote connection? Here's my dilemma. Let's say I run to Wally World for a few things, just leave my phone in the car. If someone calls will the call get forwarded to my watch? Need to try this out tomorrow.
13256a9589585f293246005589ffc958.jpg
f2d3e68be28c6bcd3740202a8aba0270.jpg

From my smokin' hot Note 4

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if I am acting noobish for posting this, but I believe this is my first time seeing the message below. So my question is...do the phone and watch have to be near each other for remote connection? Here's my dilemma. Let's say I run to Wally World for a few things, just leave my phone in the car. If someone calls will the call get forwarded to my watch? Need to try this out tomorrow. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/09/13256a9589585f293246005589ffc958.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/09/f2d3e68be28c6bcd3740202a8aba0270.jpg

You get that message because the phone hasn't locked into the remote connect mode.

Just to make sure you do have call forwarding set up in the Gear Manager right? Just in case you don't make sure it set up with your Gear number to foward to. Format should be 1 5125551111 (your actual Gear number)

I have convinced myself that my remote simply does not work if my wifi is turned on and my phone is not connected to the same wifi network. I have to turn off wifi so both connect to AT&T network via 3g. Since I have been turning it off (wifi) it works flawless.

doggie

May 23, 2011
Visit site
What you convinced yourself of seems to be true with me following just one test.

If I turn off wifi on both phone and watch, get our of BT distance from my phone, then wait to get the disconnect message followed a bit later by the remote connect message--then my calls from my phone get forwarded to watch from remote connect. I am on At&t.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I concur that the remote connection is spotty at best. My phone, a half dead Samsung GS3, has no SIM and has to connect via home wifi (it stays home permanently as notification sender). I will try to turn wifi off on my Gear S to see if it improves it. With wifi on and connected to a different network, I still get remote connected most of the time. It is when I have no wifi network to connect, it fails frequently even though I have the mobile data connection.

travel4696

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I am a prepaid tmobile customer. Therefore I have no call forwarding. Prepaid plans do not include call forwarding. When I am in connected remotely I don't get messages. Is call forwarding needed for messages? I know they are need to forward calls

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I am a prepaid tmobile customer. Therefore I have no call forwarding. Prepaid plans do not include call forwarding. When I am in connected remotely I don't get messages. Is call forwarding needed for messages? I know they are need to forward calls
I was wondering that same thing earlier. Also a strange thing happened today. I was connected via bluetooth and on the phone with my mom. All of a sudden a call comes in on my watch! It didn't show up on my phone at all. They hung up as it was a weird number. Very strange!

travel4696

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Well I answered my own question. After some testing You do not need call forwarding to be on to get your texts and emails. As long as the phone and gear s is on connected remotely ( Bluetooth off ) you will receive the texts and email that come to your phone. NICE !!!!

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I answered my own question. After some testing You do not need call forwarding to be on to get your texts and emails. As long as the phone and gear s is on connected remotely ( Bluetooth off ) you will receive the texts and email that come to your phone. NICE !!!!

Yeah the remote and call forwarding are two separate functions. That's why they are separate options in Gear Manager. I too thought the same.

So once again. I was able to perfectly connect remotely on the same wifi network out of bluetooth range. For me that's a bug if I forget to disconnect my wifi just to get remote connection. I'm patient. This is all new and hope the bugs get worked out.

AlexMartin0

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the info on this thread.

This maybe by design, but when I call out from my watch, which is totally disconnected from my Note 4 and call forwarding has started, they see my number that is assigned to my watch. I would have expected it would be the number assigned to my Note 4, not the other way around.

FYI - I am using T-Mobile

Is this a wrong expectation?

Thank you all in advance!

Alex

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the info on this thread.

This maybe by design, but when I call out from my watch, which is totally disconnected from my Note 4 and call forwarding has started, they see my number that is assigned to my watch. I would have expected it would be the number assigned to my Note 4, not the other way around.

FYI - I am using T-Mobile

Is this a wrong expectation?

Thank you all in advance!

Alex

That is correct. Text through remote shows your device number but your Gear number for calls.

Jeffery Johnson2

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Here is my scenario, (an my conclusion)
-Samsung S4 - T-Mobile
-Gear S W/Plan - T-Mobile.

I have spoke with the T-Mobile advanced Support, and a Samsung Tech rep and have not really gotten anywhere. So when I am on wifi at home and my phone is called both my watch and phone ring. So that's good. When I walk outside (Disconnect from Bluetooth) and you call my phone it does forward to my watch and I can answer. BUT.... I can only do it once, then the watch says unable to call forward. When I walk back in side and reconnect to Bluetooth and my phone is called it rings twice then goes to my watches voicemail and never rings on either.
Come to find out the call forwarding code (**21*PhoneNumber#) is turned on still on my account.
So I use the code (##21#) unconditional cancel, and everything works again.
When I am not on wifi everything works good. So I also believe wifi has a major problem with the watch, or the app is not sending the ##21# code upon reconnecting via BT when connected to wifi.

niio

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
the same problem in slovakia, O2 network. yesterday fwd works fine. today, I'm only getting failed fwd.
My workaround is to use Tasker application and set up a pattern, so when I ring back my phone from gear S. the phone starts auto fwd calls to gear number. and another pattern is: when the S are connected to phone via BT, then disable all fwd.
or there is another option to set up tasker profile: when the S is disconected via BT, then start auto FW...

Anyway Tasker is very usefull app, which makes smartphone more smarter. But takes a couple of minutes to learn, how to use the app...

Last edited:

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps someone can confirm this. I have TMobile and Note 4, but all I need to do to enable call forwarding is to enable it in Call Setting on my Note 4, no need to do anything else, not even to check the box in Gear Manager or even on my Gear. I only use call forwarding when I have my phone in my car, gym, home, or office. When my phone is with me, call forwarding is off since I rather take my calls on my phone.

Attachments

• 1416066706381.jpg
    1416066706381.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 1416066730874.jpg
    1416066730874.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 36

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's what I do since I don't use a Samsung phone. But the Gear Setting just automatically do it for you depending on the situation. They all came down the same call forwarding code to the carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699