Got Jellybean, now my battery life SUCKS!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I realize every one keep saying it was a corrupted SD card, but I do not use one.
Since the JB update, my phones battery is killing me it even drops the batter while on charge if used, last night I read up this and did a factory reset to check if every thing goes back to normal.
The battery drain still exist and its been close to 6 hours on charge with out use and the phones only got to 77% from 42% post the factory reset, I do not think this is right and am now going to try moving back to ICS until I can get a fix for this, let me know what is going wrong out here.

http://postimage.org/image/3z12m6lt7/
http://postimage.org/image/kb62enwbr/

And these are of the android system which seems to be dragging my battery down
http://postimage.org/image/5w3htcnzp/
http://postimage.org/image/ytim08sc5/

Take your phone back. Sounds like a bad battery.

Vcize

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Just to update this in case anyone else comes across it. I was having the same issue and noticed that the JB update had re-enabled Location History (which I had previously disabled in ICS) within maps. That thing is a battery suck so if you're having battery issues with JB and don't care about location history, it might be worth a shot to disable that.

anon(163908)

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
No, it's not just you! I have experiencing the exact same issue. I have tried everything and I still can't make it 8 hours on my battery. Before the update I could go nearly 24 hours on a charge. Also, i'm experiencing a ton of dropped calls.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Just to update this in case anyone else comes across it. I was having the same issue and noticed that the JB update had re-enabled Location History (which I had previously disabled in ICS) within maps. That thing is a battery suck so if you're having battery issues with JB and don't care about location history, it might be worth a shot to disable that.

Just checked mine and its disabled.
I have concluded that I HAVE to be on power saving mode all day to get through my whole day 7am to 7pm on one charge. Otherwise I will only last from 7am to 4-4:30pm.
Here is a pic of yesterday's graph IN power saving mode with moderate to somewhat high usage.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355254208378.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355254208378.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 58

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
A pic from today's usage on power saving off. So a good 3+hrs difference. What good is it to have a powerfull phone if u can't use it without it lasting a full complete day?! Horrible....

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355260619220.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355260619220.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 44

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
A pic from today's usage on power saving off. So a good 3+hrs difference. What good is it to have a powerfull phone if u can't use it without it lasting a full complete day?! Horrible....
I haven't had any such problem with such a high battery drain.. I send/receive 200+ texts a day, make phone calls, search through FB and Tumblr, and I can easily make it to from 8 AM to 11 PM and still have 40% battery life left.. I don't have to turn on power save mode, but I also do not use Google+ as I drive 4 miles round trip to and from work..

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if it has been said here, but check your Google Now settings.
I was having issues after my ATT upgrade. Google now had cards activated for a few things, like Traffic notifications it kept giving me traffic updates when I was not even in my car.

I am sure that was drawing my battery. Went into the Google Now settings and removed all that junk and battery life has been better. Much better.
Just a thought..., worth a try

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if it has been said here, but check your Google Now settings.
I was having issues after my ATT upgrade. Google now had cards activated for a few things, like Traffic notifications it kept giving me traffic updates when I was not even in my car.

I am sure that was drawing my battery. Went into the Google Now settings and removed all that junk and battery life has been better. Much better.
Just a thought..., worth a try

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Google now, from within Maps?

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Google now, from within Maps?

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Nvm....just saw what u meant. Yea its off...
My battery just wont go over 8hrs of normal to moderately-high usage without power saving ON...
Gps off, wifi off, on 3G 90% of the day, screen on manual all the way down to 1/4 brightness or less.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
SMH..Even the Galaxy Note 2 doesn't get battery life such as this and when I had my GS3 and 4100 mah battery i couldnt stay at 100% for 1hr and 45 minutes..If anyone believes this statement then they are foolish.

Just ran for 23hrs and was messing around with Google Now, on Twitter, Instagram, few phone calls, 2 1/2+ hrs of screen on time, etc. and also have location settings on too (if I didn't my battery would probably run till tomorrow mid-day). Time heals all my friends!

And right now on my current battery, still on 100% after 1hr 45min (pretty light use though).

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
look I have done several test on the GS3 battery and came to the conclusion that the best indicator of battery life is "screen on" time. With a fully charged battery at 2.5 hours screen time you a basically going to get around 7.5 - 8.5 hours of battery life and thats at half brightness. Ive notices on these forums for the past 3 years that just about any battery thread you are going to get several false claims of outstanding and miracle claims like 24 hours on a single charge with "moderate" usage. Go by your screen time and thats your best indicator of battery life.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Who the hell would lie about their freaking battery life time... like cmon dude people have better stuff to do with their lives. Just bc you can't achieve it doesn't mean it's not possible...

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Who the hell would lie about their freaking battery life time... like cmon dude people have better stuff to do with their lives. Just bc you can't achieve it doesn't mean it's not possible...

Lol its possible....by just looking at ur phone sit all day.....haha

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
So, if i keep my GPS on, something (Google Now?) pings my GPS like every 5 minutes KILLING my battery. Once my GPS is off my battery life is back to pre-jeallybean happy levels.

Anyone know a fix? Because i would like to utilize Google Now.

Thanks

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So, if i keep my GPS on, something (Google Now?) pings my GPS like every 5 minutes KILLING my battery. Once my GPS is off my battery life is back to pre-jeallybean happy levels.

Anyone know a fix? Because i would like to utilize Google Now.

Thanks

Other than a bigger battery, nope

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Another battery drain thread suggest some widgets are to blame. He was using one to monitor his network usage and after the JB update, that widget started using 75% CPU for almost an hour after the phone was restarted. After he removed that widget, the battery life turned to normal.

So, you may want to try removing some widgets to see if you are having the same problem. Our there could be an app having similar issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

tlrsax54

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Screen on time is definitely a good point...I can save a ton of battery by not using my phone lol. For the reference, the photo is 39 minutes of on screen time today haha
Screenshot_2012-12-14-00-56-22.png
I had it on wifi today, but didn't use it too much (few phone calls, texts, check facebook lol) this is stock JB...
I turn Google Now off, and I make sure location reporting is disabled in Maps...I typically get about 3-3.5 hours of on screen time. I never use any power saving mode and I don't use any battery saving apps...

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Another battery drain thread suggest some widgets are to blame. He was using one to monitor his network usage and after the JB update, that widget started using 75% CPU for almost an hour after the phone was restarted. After he removed that widget, the battery life turned to normal.

So, you may want to try removing some widgets to see if you are having the same problem. Our there could be an app having similar issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
That was probably me. Your close.
Media Server causes my device to run at about 75% CPU usage for 30-45 minutes...
The widget that was causing excess usage was Network Signal Info. With the widget and the unit in normal stand by mode, i would have CPU usage at 10%.. Thats way to high.
Normal standby should be around 3%, which after removing the widget and testing a bit more, it is now at.
I used System Panel to monitor CPU usage.
And FYI, the Network Signal INFO widget was active prior to the JB update and it did not cause any drain. So it might be that the app needs to be updated to play nicely with JB.
my EVO LTE got the update last night and i have the same widget. Im keeping an eye on that to see if its going to cause a similar problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress