Has anyone else besides me decided to return their Photon?

MidwestDrummer

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
After 24 hours I've decided to return my Photon and go back to my EVO. The pentile screen is just awful. It's just so terribly pixelated and grainy, and I can't put up with it anymore. At first I thought I could overlook it or just get used to it, but every time I look at it, it's the first thing I notice.

This may just be my opinion, but it's still good to see that a lot of people are enjoying the phone.

Looks like I'll hold on to my EVO just a little bit longer, until the Within comes out.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm really trying my hardest to see what you're talking about with the pixelated screen but I'm not seeing it.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The screen isn't as gorgeous as the screen on the EVO3D, but it seems clear and pleasant enough to me. Of course, I used to use computers with giant fuzzy pixels on their screens, and the LCD I use at work is more visibly pixelated than the Photon's screen.

My issue (having picked up the phone yesterday) is the battery life. It's not yet 10 and it appears to be down to 1/2! We shall see how that goes.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought the screen was good on the Photon. I did not find anything too dramatically wrong with it. I guess it is a matter of preference. Of course comparing other devices to it may make one want to go to another device. Overall, how was your experience with the phone besides the screen? I feel it is a good phone but not as snappy.

zerohaste

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The screen doesn't bother me enough to return it yet. I notice it, but it's not as big of an issue for me as I thought it would be. I love the look and feel of the Photon. Build quality seems very solid.

Still, I'm waiting for an announcement of the Samsung GS II. Mostly a release date and picture of what it looks like. If they haven't redesigned it to look less iPhone-like I'm not sure I would get it. Just give me four Android buttons on the bottom and I'm happy. Maybe a soft touch back, too.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if they upgrade the color-space of the screen (displaying more colors) if it would help with what you are all seeing. That appears to be the problem to me.

It's such a rock solid phone other than the screen. Will be hard to decide for me.

halmo20#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I have decided to return mine Although I hate the pendle display, what made me decide to return was constant random shut down that could only be recovered by pulling battery out.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I have decided to return mine Although I hate the pendle display, what made me decide to return was constant random shut down that could only be recovered by pulling battery out.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

You didn't ask for a replacement?

halmo20#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
You didn't ask for a replacement?

I haven't gone to the shop to return yet. and I have thought about getting another unit but I'd like to be sure that it was just my phone... I don't want to get another one and go thru all that set up process only to have the same problem...

z_dawg

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I have no real issue with the screen, especially after owning it for a day; I notice this "screen door" effect only as I drag the notification bar down. But I don't notice much more, unless I look at this thing like I would one of those 3D posters. What I have an issue with, is the camera; yuk! (I take many photos with my phone) If they could've just cleaned it up a bit...

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I haven't gone to the shop to return yet. and I have thought about getting another unit but I'd like to be sure that it was just my phone... I don't want to get another one and go thru all that set up process only to have the same problem...

I read your posts and I can say that I don't have the same issue as you do. Hopefully it's just a faulty device and they can replace it for you.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I've only had it for a day, but after the initial set up (where it shut itself down a few times, but the manual said it might) it's been acting pretty normal. My only real complaint so far is that I'm really missing the hardware keyboard on my Pre, but I figure I have to give myself time to learn to use a virtual keyboard.

(and the phone is freaking big. Sigh.)

mgiven

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I must be too old to notice the screen difference. Whenever I read these "I clearly see the pixels" posts I wonder if the writers are using high powered goggles or something. Maybe my eyes are old.

So the device is a better build quality, has a kickstand with unique landscape mode, has a cool car dock, has a better media dock, has a better radio with better reception and is a world phone...but you see one pixel with super-human eyes and back to the store it goes? :)

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I like the screen well enough, but it doesn't have that rich smooth georgous look that the SMOLED ones have. I can see someone chosing that over other features. You spend a lot of time looking at your phone.

techsamaritan

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I just came from the Sprint store and did notice the pixelation of the screen. I have the Motorola XPRT and it does the same thing, when you change the live wallpaper to the blowing grass. This is very disappointing...I really do want this phone, but great screen and popping colors and smooth graphics...maybe I should take it home to try it but is it worth taking it back and paying the $35 restock fee, KNOWING the screen is sub-par?

The Evo 3d...i'm not a huge fan of the 3d option and coming from the Evo 4g, I was looking for something new...now I'm thinking about the Nexus S, that has the BEST screen at sprint, but its SO PLAIN!

Very tough choice...waiting on the comparisons to show up on Youtube to make my final choice...probably leaning more to the Nexus S, especially with the guaranteed Android updates...

mgiven

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I was half joking. If you really look closely on a lighter screen you can see it slightly. Yes the blowing grass live wallpaper is one. (my fave wallpaper btw)

This is why these are all personal decisions. To me the the other features FAR outweigh the slight differences, but to to others the display might be the most important thing.

halmo20#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I read your posts and I can say that I don't have the same issue as you do. Hopefully it's just a faulty device and they can replace it for you.

After two more shut downs since my last post with total of 8 random shut downs and battery pulls in one day, I took it back and they gave me a new one... Now, I haven't had enough time to do anything with the phone, but now the phone doesn't connect to 4G.... On the phone with Sprint tech now...sigh... I'm just about to throw this damn thing at the wall....

aptmx

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
After 24 hours I've decided to return my Photon and go back to my EVO. The pentile screen is just awful. It's just so terribly pixelated and grainy, and I can't put up with it anymore. At first I thought I could overlook it or just get used to it, but every time I look at it, it's the first thing I notice.

This may just be my opinion, but it's still good to see that a lot of people are enjoying the phone.

Looks like I'll hold on to my EVO just a little bit longer, until the Within comes out.

I will be keeping mine as it is the best android phone I have owned and used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress