Any droid killers on the horizon?

Rusched

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm seriously considering dropping some big money to get a Droid (an extra $600 a year in service and $200 ETF to break away from Sprint.) My only concern is that there's some mythical super-phone, a Droid killer, that I'll be drooling over in three months, kicking myself that I didn't wait for. Anyone here know of anything like this or is it a safe bet that I'll be a happy Droid owner for the duration of 2010? The Nexus One is neat, but no pyshical keyboard is a deal breaker.

Any thoughts?

acidsamuraix

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty confident the Droid will age well, at least for this year. There might be a faster android phone at some point, but my guess is the Droid will be updated to the current OSs as they are released, and it's sure no slouch. As the year draws on, it may not win every benchmark, but it will probably have all the same capability and function.

droidweasel

Nov 14, 2009
www.minnesotavikings.com
lol, if u wait for three months....and buy the OTHER phone,there will be another one in another three months.lol the droid is the best phone out there right now. id say get a droid. itll still be one of the best in 2010. imho.

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
As someone here pointed out a while back, you can keep waiting for that perfect phone, but if you do, you will have a StarTac in your pocket.

Tumaz04

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
For you people with the Droid, is the keyboard pretty easy to get use to? I tried it at the store and with the keys being really flat, it was hard to tell which key I was pressing. If I got one, I would be playing some Games on it. Having a physical keyboard is more ideal, right?

d1pham

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
For you people with the Droid, is the keyboard pretty easy to get use to? I tried it at the store and with the keys being really flat, it was hard to tell which key I was pressing. If I got one, I would be playing some Games on it. Having a physical keyboard is more ideal, right?

All three keyboards take some time and practice to get used to, however in the end they are all pretty good. Amazingly my favorite keyboard is now the vertical (portrait) one, the update really increased the accuracy.

R

Roy Aguilera

Nope. Funny how we are no longer talking about iPhone killers. It has now become Droid Killers. Droid does. :D

Bako

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, the obvious Droid killer is the Nexus One (Google Phone), but for those of us who really want a physical keyboard, it's a non-starter.

As for the Droid's keyboard, I think it's below average, but it allows the phone to be super slim and solid, and it's still much better than a virtual keyboard, in my book. I'm now using the new Swype software for my virtual keyboard, but nothing substitutes for being able to feel the buttons under your thumbs, and know when you've moved from one key to the next.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Well, the obvious Droid killer is the Nexus One (Google Phone), but for those of us who really want a physical keyboard, it's a non-starter.

As for the Droid's keyboard, I think it's below average, but it allows the phone to be super slim and solid, and it's still much better than a virtual keyboard, in my book. I'm now using the new Swype software for my virtual keyboard, but nothing substitutes for being able to feel the buttons under your thumbs, and know when you've moved from one key to the next.

No it is not so obvious. All depends on who you ask...cause if you ask me, I think its inferior to the Droid. But that's a different discussion for a different thread so I will comment no more.

Bako

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
No it is not so obvious. All depends on who you ask...cause if you ask me, I think its inferior to the Droid. But that's a different discussion for a different thread so I will comment no more.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, what I meant was that it's being talked about as the next great Android phone, so naturally it may eclipse the Droid when it comes out, at least in terms of media attention. But obviously I'm inclined to agree with you and stick with my Droid, physical keyboard and all, though I'm willing to admit that I haven't used a Nexus One, so I can't really make a responsible comparison between the two devices. Have you gotten your hands on one already?

Semantics

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm seriously considering dropping some big money to get a Droid (an extra $600 a year in service and $200 ETF to break away from Sprint.) My only concern is that there's some mythical super-phone, a Droid killer, that I'll be drooling over in three months, kicking myself that I didn't wait for. Anyone here know of anything like this or is it a safe bet that I'll be a happy Droid owner for the duration of 2010? The Nexus One is neat, but no pyshical keyboard is a deal breaker.

Any thoughts?

Motorola will be making phones for every US carrier in 2010, you'll get a Droid variation if thats what you want. Personally, I won't touch Motorola hardware, but if you really want one, Sprint will be carrying Motorola Android in 2010.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the earlier posts that there will always be the next best phone. I love my droid, but who can say what crazy innovation will happen in the future. I mean RIM purchased companies for webkit browser and widgets- they could release a phone with some good functionality with the reliability/simplicity of blackberry....the storm 3 haha. I'm only half kidding here since there is always the next best thing. It's the reason why annual upgrades aren't good enough for most of us and why our family/friends wonder why we go through 2-3 phones a year.

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
OP you an get out of your Sprint contract for free this month. They are raising a regulatory rate which is a change to your contract. That should help make your decision easier.

I am doing the same thing. I am dropping Sprint/Pre and getting a Droid. I am just waiting until after CES to see if any announcements will make me change my mind.

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
OP you an get out of your Sprint contract for free this month. They are raising a regulatory rate which is a change to your contract. That should help make your decision easier.

I am doing the same thing. I am dropping Sprint/Pre and getting a Droid. I am just waiting until after CES to see if any announcements will make me change my mind.

I just terminated my Sprint contract for free because of the regulatory fee increase. I also switched from Pre to the Droid and have no regrets. Even if the N1 came out within my 30 days, I don't think I would return my Droid. I would love a keyboardless Droid with the Snapdragon Processor and no other changes... maybe get rid of the gold.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Nope. Funny how we are no longer talking about iPhone killers. It has now become Droid Killers. Droid does. :D

This is an Android forum. Go to any other forum and people are still talking about an iPhone killer and saying that the Droid does not even come close to overtaking the iPhone.

Magnious

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
There is no iPhone Killer right now. There is no Droid Killer right now. The point is, they meet two different demographics, as well as the carrier. Droid hurt the iPhone for the people that wanted an iPhone on Verizon.

If you are with AT&T, the iPhone fanbois will say it didn't hurt.
If you are with Verizon, the Android fanbois are saying FINALLY! I no longer need an iPhone.

The whole "killer" thing is nonsense. iPhone didn't KILL anything (except hurt BB a bit), and nothing will KILL the iPhone.

The same goes for the Droid. Nothing will KILL the Droid, and the Droid did not KILL the iPhone. There are enough of these meaningless threads posted everywhere on the internet. These threads are just created for people to argue. I think all of them should be closed.