Can't agree with Pixel being the top based on their current "Best Android Phone" article

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can't agree with Pixel being the top based on their current "Best Android Phone" article

The LG G5 is better than the Pixel. More cameras, replaceable battery, MicroSD slot. The camera module takes much better pics. I'll likely get the Pixel XL since it's a great phone, but I doubt it will be better than the LG G5.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't agree with Pixel being the top based on their current "Best Android Phone" article

Eh, I think that's quite the opposite of objectively.

How good a phone is, is very much subjective. What you value in a phone, I may not care for at all, and vice versa.

For example, I weight user experience, speed, fluidity etc as of utmost importance. Having owned a Note 7 very recently before the recalls, I personally think the Pixel is far, far superior to use on that respect. That's a subjective opinion of mine and you may very well disagree, which is great - we all have different views on these things.

I think 'doing more' doesn't necessarily translate to 'better'. At least to me it doesn't. Sure I could 'do more' on the Note 7 than I can with the Pixel, especially with the pen functions, but ultimately that doesn't matter to me. I enjoy using the Pixel more than I did the Note 7. Quite a bit more. The Note 7 had iris scanning functionality, again another feature the Pixel didn't have, but again, completely irrelevant to me. I used it once, didn't like it and never used it again.

I like the more focused approach of the Pixel and the value add it provides (Assistant, unlimited photo/video backup, fastest software updates, fastest security updates) I find those things comforting.

I mean I could argue till I'm black and blue that the Pixel is better than the iPhone 7 to an iPhone user, but that doesn't mean I'm right. That person may prefer the iPhone's ecosystem and everything it has and that's perfectly ok.

It's good to have different opinions, because we can discuss and share our ideas, but I don't think coming in and declaring that X device is better than Y, as if it's some fact of truth that is known, is really useful or helpful to anyone here.

This is another thing I take issue with - rating phones based off spec sheets. I don't agree with that because phones are more than just a sum of their parts. You need to use a phone as your daily driver for a period of time to really get a feel for the phone, a feel for what it's strengths/weakenesses are to make a judgement on it.

I don't think rattling off a bunch of specs for a phone and saying one is better than the other is right. If that were the case, then every phone with a Snapdragon 820 should perform the same and provide the same experience when it comes to speed/fluidity, but very clearly that is not the case. You get very varied experiences with phones despite them having the same processor, same amount of ram etc; so where's the value in that intangible aspect?

But.. But all the reviews say it's the best.. So..

That's his argument which is severely annoying.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

A Blackberry Perl demolishes the Pixel! [sarcasm intended]

jimbo

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I believe the HTC 10 is the best Android smartphone for 2016. Easy to hold and use with HTC quality build, natural colors LCD-3 display, expandable storage, OIS back and front camera. Unsurpassed sound quality. Easy access to front fingerprint scanner, perfect size 5.2“ (not too big or too small), long lasting 3000mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0. Qualcomm Snapdragon 820. Less expensive. Will be updated to Android N way before Samsung.

The HTC 10 has been intentionally overlooked by Android Central even though Jerry Hildenbrand has written it's his daily driver. Now the HTC Google Pixels are claimed to be the best Android smartphones for 2016 by AC although lacking some better aspects of the HTC 10.
Crazy, isn't it!

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: AC recommends....

I am also considering the 128 version because althought you get unlimited storage for photos and videos, i do A LOT of journaling (with photo). This ends up taking a lot of space because of the inserted photos. So I need all the space I can get on hand. The price is just about the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.
The 128gb should have higher resale value down the line too imo when you sell it.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I believe the HTC 10 is the best Android smartphone for 2016. Easy to hold and use with HTC quality build, natural colors LCD-3 display, expandable storage, OIS back and front camera. Unsurpassed sound quality. Easy access to front fingerprint scanner, perfect size 5.2“ (not too big or too small), long lasting 3000mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0. Qualcomm Snapdragon 820. Less expensive. Will be updated to Android N way before Samsung.

The HTC 10 has been intentionally overlooked by Android Central even though Jerry Hildenbrand has written it's his daily driver. Now the HTC Google Pixels are claimed to be the best Android smartphones for 2016 by AC although lacking some better aspects of the HTC 10.
Crazy, isn't it!
Hehe I actually have a HTC 10 right now and I think the Pixel is quite a bit better than that too.

Not that the 10 was a slouch it anything, but the Pixel I feel is on another level of performance and user experience.

But I won't go too much into. Basically we're not convincing anyone wither way here. This can quickly devolve into what is essentially a religious debate 'I'm right, you're wrong' etc.

Aside from that, I don't feel the 10 was intentionally overlooked by Android Central. I thought they gave it a fair shake and we're being quite positive about it.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Now I’m curious about “listening to music with your headphones”. The S7 Edge and S7 are apparently terrible at this and the Pixel and Pixel XL nailed quality audio (though not as well as LG on the V20).
Obviously you’re going to keep throwing camera in the list despite absolutely no consensus (reviews are approximately 3:1 against your conclusion) nor a single objective test to back that up so from now on we shall just ignore those comments.
The S7 Edge and S7 are perfectly fine through the headset jack. It's the speaker that people complain about and that is due to the concessions made to get the IP68 rating. The Pixel/Pixel XL have weaker volume through the headset jack when listening to headphones than the S7 and S7 Edge. That is a fact and there are plenty of people talking about the Pixels weak volume levels. The Pixel simply does not have enough power going to the headphone jack. The cameras are better than the camera on the Pixel XL. It outperforms the Pixel in low light and matches it in daylight. Plus Samsung cameras don't have a lens flare problem like the Pixels do.

Haha, ok. Translation for the rest of us: “Facts don’t matter, I can just say something is future proof despite having an older and guaranteed to be supported for a shorter duration (both relatively and absolutely) processor, having outdated and never going to be up to date software, etc”.

This must be in the same line of thinking where 1 in 4 reviewers can say they prefer one aspect of a feature more than another and those 25% are then PROVING that all aspects of that feature are objectively better than all others.

Have fun here, glad to say this is going nowhere so we can stop.
The facts do matter. The problem is that you don't seem to be recognizing them. I can show you multiple speed tests showing the S7 Edge outperforming the Google Pixel XL, but you will ignore them. I can show you in-depth camera comparisons from respectable reviewers, but you will ignore them. I can show you specs sheets, but you will ignore them. TechnoBuffalo's review was spot on.

"The Pixel performs decently well and offers some of the best hardware available. But it’s boring. It’s not water resistant. It doesn’t offer wireless charging. It doesn’t have expandable storage. It doesn’t offer a hardware feature we haven’t seen, like an iris scanner. The software is the highlight here.

Yet, I’m not sure that’s even something that’s all-too exciting or justifies the premium price tag. You’ll pay $650 for the very base model of the Google Pixel, and it’s hard to recommend you spend $250 more than the OnePlus 3. You might think this phone is purely squared at Android purists, but it’s not. This is Google’s attempt to cater to the mass market the way Apple has with the iPhone, but there are cheaper alternatives for people who don’t really care about pure Google.

Worse, the folks who do care, Nexus users, are the ones who Google just left in the cold. While Google promises 2 years of software updates and 3 years of security patches, why should Nexus fans trust Google this time around? Will the Pixel live on another year if sales aren’t great? Or will Google launch another product with exclusive features like Google Assistant?

I have too many questions about the focus of the Google Pixel and not enough confidence in its future. It’s a fine phone, sure, but there are plenty of devices that offer similar performance and, in some cases, more features, for the same price or less.

You want an Android phone? Buy a Galaxy S7 Edge. You want an Android phone that doesn’t break the bank? Buy a OnePlus 3. You want an Android Phone with Google Assistant? Buy a Nexus 6P and hack it on. Want something unique? Buy a Moto Z. You want an expensive Android phone with 24/7 support, unlimited Google Photo backup and the chance at getting the latest software first? Then get the Pixel. I suggest waiting to see what Google’s grander plan for the Pixel is before diving in, however. With the glaring hole left by the Galaxy Note 7 in my arsenal, I’ll personally be switching over to the Moto Z."
Google Pixel review: The best of Android with uninspired hardware

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I thought the 10 was pretty good too, just not my cup of tea. I'd say it's definitely outmatched by the Pixel but not by much.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

TechnoBuffalo's review was spot on.

But I could easily link many reviews from other sites that proclaim the Pixel as the best Android phone. And articles saying the Pixel has the best overall camera etc.

And TechnoBuffalo's review wasn't 'spot on', it just aligns with your preconceived opinion of the phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

And TechnoBuffalo's review wasn't 'spot on', it just aligns with your preconceived opinion of the phone.

I’ll go further and say it was start to finish “rubbish”. Just like their whole site.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I believe the LG V20 is the best as of now.....I havent experienced a phone that's so smooth with almost every feature besides not being waterproof ..I can never vouch for vanilla android and the pixel phones....

I have noticed that people with pixel phones are always asking about features that are on other phones...exact reason why it makes no sense to get a pixel phone especially if you upgrade every 10 to 12 months......
I have also noticed people with V20 asking for security/software update timelines, how to make it smooth like Pixel, how to remove carrier crap and million other things.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

What I'm struggling with in this thread is why some people don't understand that we all don't want the same things from our phones.

You think that the s7e is the best phone of 2016? It is, for you.

You think the Pixel is the best phone of 2016? It is, for you.

We can sling "facts" at each other all day and it won't change anything. As for me, I don't care if someone disagrees with my choice because it was my choice and I made it. I'm happy and moving on from this thread. Good luck everyone! Lol

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

The facts do matter. The problem is that you don't seem to be recognizing them

It's difficult to take the whole of your argument seriously when, where you are confronted on select points with a reasoned argument and facts to the contrary in the course of this thread, you simply ignore those aspects against which you can't mount a reasoned rebuttal and proceed on with the expectation that your points will be accepted through your sheer force of will.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: AC recommends....

You don't have to agree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the phone of their choice.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

It's too bad Pixel couldn't have been a little more like...

q:100

U.S. design is stuck in a rut.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards