Can't agree with Pixel being the top based on their current "Best Android Phone" article

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't agree with Pixel being the top based on their current "Best Android Phone" article

Depends on whether or not you prioritize design of the software experience.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can't agree with Pixel being the top based on their current "Best Android Phone" article

Software experience and physical design are two different things. One doesn't necessarily preempt the other.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: AC recommends....

Google photo storage is unlimited. All you need to do to save them, is move them there. You will deal with some compression,but it is minor and better than a full delete by a mile.

Once there they also gain utility. Don't delay, you only have a clue weeks.

Yeah it's unlimited at high quality but not full resolution. But for the past couple years I was uploading at full resolution, which was eating into my storage allotment.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The S7 Edge and S7 are perfectly fine through the headset jack. It's the speaker that people complain about and that is due to the concessions made to get the IP68 rating. The Pixel/Pixel XL have weaker volume through the headset jack when listening to headphones than the S7 and S7 Edge. That is a fact and there are plenty of people talking about the Pixels weak volume levels. The Pixel simply does not have enough power going to the headphone jack. The cameras are better than the camera on the Pixel XL. It outperforms the Pixel in low light and matches it in daylight. Plus Samsung cameras don't have a lens flare problem like the Pixels do.

The facts do matter. The problem is that you don't seem to be recognizing them. I can show you multiple speed tests showing the S7 Edge outperforming the Google Pixel XL, but you will ignore them. I can show you in-depth camera comparisons from respectable reviewers, but you will ignore them. I can show you specs sheets, but you will ignore them. TechnoBuffalo's review was spot on.

"The Pixel performs decently well and offers some of the best hardware available. But it’s boring. It’s not water resistant. It doesn’t offer wireless charging. It doesn’t have expandable storage. It doesn’t offer a hardware feature we haven’t seen, like an iris scanner. The software is the highlight here.

Yet, I’m not sure that’s even something that’s all-too exciting or justifies the premium price tag. You’ll pay $650 for the very base model of the Google Pixel, and it’s hard to recommend you spend $250 more than the OnePlus 3. You might think this phone is purely squared at Android purists, but it’s not. This is Google’s attempt to cater to the mass market the way Apple has with the iPhone, but there are cheaper alternatives for people who don’t really care about pure Google.

Worse, the folks who do care, Nexus users, are the ones who Google just left in the cold. While Google promises 2 years of software updates and 3 years of security patches, why should Nexus fans trust Google this time around? Will the Pixel live on another year if sales aren’t great? Or will Google launch another product with exclusive features like Google Assistant?

I have too many questions about the focus of the Google Pixel and not enough confidence in its future. It’s a fine phone, sure, but there are plenty of devices that offer similar performance and, in some cases, more features, for the same price or less.

You want an Android phone? Buy a Galaxy S7 Edge. You want an Android phone that doesn’t break the bank? Buy a OnePlus 3. You want an Android Phone with Google Assistant? Buy a Nexus 6P and hack it on. Want something unique? Buy a Moto Z. You want an expensive Android phone with 24/7 support, unlimited Google Photo backup and the chance at getting the latest software first? Then get the Pixel. I suggest waiting to see what Google’s grander plan for the Pixel is before diving in, however. With the glaring hole left by the Galaxy Note 7 in my arsenal, I’ll personally be switching over to the Moto Z."
Google Pixel review: The best of Android with uninspired hardware

Everyone just stopped now. I tried to reason with him before but seems like he loves to nit pick things to criticize on the pixel. I'm not going to even respond anymore. No point. I noticed this awhile ago. His user name is Enemies in the end. Just think about that one. I'm a pixel fan, but I don't go into the Samsung thread keep telling them how bad their phone is.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I was pretty critical of the Pixel when it was announced, but like with all tech, I withhold final judgment until I've actually used one. I've also used an S7 Edge for a good chunk of this year. I've had the Pixel for a couple days now and it's just excellent. The level of refinement to almost every aspect of the software is sorely missed by any Samsung device at this point. Having access to updates straight from Google as opposed to waiting months on a carrier-branded S7 Edge is a big deal. The performance of the Pixel easily bests the S7 Edge---everything is smooth and fluid with zero stutter or lag. The camera is more natural, relying on better hardware instead of just sharpening the hell out of everything in post processing. The battery life and display is as good or better than the Edge.

Yes, the Edge adds things like water resistance, SD card support, and wireless charging. While important, it doesn't trump the superior software you use every time you unlock the phone on the Pixel. Even if you disagree, you should at least understand why people would feel that way considering how popular the Nexus line was.

The Pixel isn't flashy, but man is it good. This is right up there on the "best phones I've ever used" list.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

jd78

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

Everyone just stopped now. I tried to reason with him before but seems like he loves to nit pick things to criticize on the pixel. I'm not going to even respond anymore. No point. I noticed this awhile ago. His user name is Enemies in the end. Just think about that one. I'm a pixel fan, but I don't go into the Samsung thread keep telling them how bad their phone is.

I put him on my "ignore" list awhile ago...

We definitely differ here.. I'm down for different but that design there does not look nice to me :p.

I agree. Not that it looks bad, but nothing inspiring. Pretty much looks like a tablet... Kind of looks like a Kindle Fire, the earlier ones at least.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

There are two reasons. One, Samsung didn't ship with seamless updates enabled and two, the SD820 is somewhat unlikely to be supported for the necessary updates. The latter is the less likely of the two, but the two together aren't good.

I did this search: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=s7 edge price

And it says the S7 Edge is $780 and the S7 is $670. That makes the Pixel XL $10 cheaper than the S7 Edge and the Pixel $20 cheaper than the S7.

If we're going to include free things, let's include infinite storage for photos and videos, free daydream, etc, etc.

And as far as security features - does the S7 Edge have file level encryption? (honestly asking that)

Here's what N brings: Android 7.0: Security benefits that truly matter | Android Central

The S7 will get some of that but not all of it and will never support seamless updates. I don't know if the S7 does this or not, but the Note 7 included security malware from Cheetah Mobile on it out of the box ... so that's a thing. If the S7 doesn't, thank goodness for that.

Just did a quick tally of the ranking on various features mentioned in this thread between these four devices:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...k8Rd0bcVMBupMMO5uH3vQCL0B/h770/2016-10-25.png

To me this looks like the S7's are pretty far behind, although I will be the first to admit that on many of these features, being tied for 3rd behind a tie for 1st doesn't mean it's THAT far behind, it just means it is behind. However, since the S7 Edge is the current pinnacle of Samsung devices available to market, that makes the Pixels the best phones that you can buy today.
Samsung has given two updates to their flagship since a long time ago. You have absolutely no basis for thinking this would change with the s7.

If you want to talk about price then obviously you would be willing to look around. If you went to ebay you can get a new s7 for much cheaper than the pixel.

Yes, the pixel is obviously slightly ahead when it comes to software support, but that's it. There is no other benefits to the pixel.

Your tally is quite disingenuous and I don't see why anybody would waste their time with that nonsense.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yes, the pixel is obviously slightly ahead when it comes to software support, but that's it. There is no other benefits to the pixel.

For you sure.. For me I like the hardware, camera, full res backups for free, etc. :). Different wants for different people.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

Of course I'm claiming the Pixel and Pixel XL are lacking features. They are lacking features. That's an obvious, objective fact. Samsung phones have far more put into their hardware and software than the Pixels.

I don't have to test the Pixel XL display outside. I put the XL next to my Note 5, put them both on 50% auto, 100% auto, and 100% auto off and to match the Note 5's brightness at 50%, you'd probably have to slide the Pixel XL's brightness to 75%. The difference was significant and very obvious side by side. The tether doesn't affect the brightness nor the performance of the device. Samsung displays are not too bright.

The Samsung cameras are better overall. If you don't believe me, look at this comparison.
https://youtu.be/vG711jCHDOA

Samsungs allow MicroSD cards and also have access to Google Photos. I don't really need Google Photos though as I use OneDrive and still have over 1 Terabyte of free storage.

As I said, the only things I can find where the Pixels beat Samsungs are standby times and virtual assistants.

The Pixels are good phones that should be cheaper than the asking price by at least $100.
So your scientific study of brightness is based on the % listed in each setting and not actual brightness with any type device. So if google has a different scale for percentages then samsung or google relies on a different process to adjust brightness. Does your stereo have a number 11? Is so it must be louder then mine which only has 10.
Also if brightness compared to another phone is the benchmark for your needs, then we can clearly agree to disagree. As one of the mods commented on I see no issues with this phone in direct lighting. Yes I could tell a difference when next to the n7 but in my opinion it was a negative that the n7 was brighter. I believe the screen on my pixel xl to be better in quality.

The other example in you only comparing your "personally configured note5 and a demo pixel" is that who knows how or what was done to the pixel. More importantly maybe nobody cared enough to set it up, or maybe the people at verizon had it for 2 days trying to mess it up. My examples are from taking both my devices side by side with 2 stable products in my home wifi.

I can show many comparisons about the camera that show the other way. I was giving MY opinion about MY use of both devices as I would use them. I even took pictures from both phones to then send to the other phone to view on each screen. The pixel xl did a better job. Its not a huge difference and either one by itself is still a top of the heap device.

I guess what concerns me about much of this discussion is people, yourself and many others, speaking about things without a valid opinion and not trying to be clear about the information they give. if you read thru this thread you will see direct comparisons of features and specs and many things the samsung will never have compared to the pixel. You obviously use your note5 only in direct sun light with other devices next to it and love having to manage your sd cards and cloud storage. Also at 4k and with slow motion videos filmed at 240 frames per second you can store what maybe 700 hours and also share that will everything else and at some point have to delete for space and how much does the onedrive cost?
So to be clear:
the pixel xl is cheaper then the s7e
better processor
better ui
better battery
better camera with added features for storage
better updates and future fixes with issues
better screen

less bright compared to your note5 personally configured and against a demo version using percentages in different ui's

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

So your scientific study of brightness is based on the % listed in each setting and not actual brightness with any type device. So if google has a different scale for percentages then samsung or google relies on a different process to adjust brightness. Does your stereo have a number 11? Is so it must be louder then mine which only has 10.
Also if brightness compared to another phone is the benchmark for your needs, then we can clearly agree to disagree. As one of the mods commented on I see no issues with this phone in direct lighting. Yes I could tell a difference when next to the n7 but in my opinion it was a negative that the n7 was brighter. I believe the screen on my pixel xl to be better in quality.

The other example in you only comparing your "personally configured note5 and a demo pixel" is that who knows how or what was done to the pixel. More importantly maybe nobody cared enough to set it up, or maybe the people at verizon had it for 2 days trying to mess it up. My examples are from taking both my devices side by side with 2 stable products in my home wifi.

I can show many comparisons about the camera that show the other way. I was giving MY opinion about MY use of both devices as I would use them. I even took pictures from both phones to then send to the other phone to view on each screen. The pixel xl did a better job. Its not a huge difference and either one by itself is still a top of the heap device.

I guess what concerns me about much of this discussion is people, yourself and many others, speaking about things without a valid opinion and not trying to be clear about the information they give. if you read thru this thread you will see direct comparisons of features and specs and many things the samsung will never have compared to the pixel. You obviously use your note5 only in direct sun light with other devices next to it and love having to manage your sd cards and cloud storage. Also at 4k and with slow motion videos filmed at 240 frames per second you can store what maybe 700 hours and also share that will everything else and at some point have to delete for space and how much does the onedrive cost?
So to be clear:
the pixel xl is cheaper then the s7e
better processor
better ui
better battery
better camera with added features for storage
better updates and future fixes with issues
better screen

less bright compared to your note5 personally configured and against a demo version using percentages in different ui's
Why do you insist on making things up? For exynos at least, the performance is better, it is cheaper if you know where to look, the battery is much better, the display is likely better but no way it is worse. Camera and ui come down to preference, and updates is the one thing the pixel has going for it.

In regards to display, pretty much every amoled is linear. And 100% is 100%. Stop acting like the pixel has a 110%.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Knew it was going to come down to this. Another Samsung *aheming* thread. SMH.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

It's all about the Experience, seriously. Everyone that judges the Pixel and haven't used one is seriously missing out. Hands down the best Android experience to date. All fancy features and gimmicks of other flagships are just that... gimmicks. I have every flagship released this year including an iPhone 7 Plus although Android will always be my primary the Pixel XL is on top of others. I loved my beloved Note 7, #rip, I do miss the S-Pen but the performance just doesn't come close to the Pixel/Pixel XL. Just IMO.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Samsung has given two updates to their flagship since a long time ago. You have absolutely no basis for thinking this would change with the s7.

There's very good reason to believe that no devices that fail to support seamless updates will receive 8.0 and there's also reason to believe that Qualcomm is not going to provide the necessary driver support old chipsets that will be necessary to run N properly and O at all.

Based on what I've read and heard, it is very possible that the Galaxy S8 will never get O.

On price, I will not consider "deals" because that's not an apples to apples comparison. MSRP is what is compared on price consideration.

Please try to quantify your disagreements on the tally if your goal is to refute it.

Last edited:

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

The Samsung UIs are already well ahead of stock Android. Samsung's can do so much more than stock Android it's ridiculous. The APIs are irrelevant. That's just the software. I've mentioned all of the other things that make it future proof. A 7 month old S7 Edge is better than the Pixel XL at virtually everything, objectively.

I have to disagree again, lol. I had a S7 Edge, and liked it a lot, but I like the Pixel better. One thing about the S7E I can say, it was smoother than my Note 7. I had the international unlocked version and used it on Project Fi, so I was basically only able to use it on T Mobile's network.

Another thing cool I found out about the Pixel is the use of the wifi assistant. It connects to open reliable wifi networks and secures them using a VPN tunnel. This feature was initially only on Nexus phones on Project Fi, but now it's on all Google phones no matter the cellular network. It's really a nice feature, and works even better on the Pixel.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I'll probably go out on a limb and say this.

Both the Galaxy S7 edge and Pixel XL are very good phones, each with their own objective superiorities which are also subject to subjective preferences.

For me, if you want a bevy of features in an attractive exterior, you may fancy the S7e, but if you want faster, seamless updates with fast, smooth software without too much additions, you may fancy the Pixel XL instead.

They're really good phones and whichever one you want really boils down to what you fancy in your own phone.

I really don't have a preference between the 2, but assuming both are Qualcomm-powered, I'd probably side with the Pixel, although if the S7 is Exynos-powered, it would be a bit tougher.

Just my 2 cents.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

If you want the best PURE android experience the Pixel is the phone. If you want the most bang for your buck the S7 Edge is it. And for people that complain about lag and Touchwiz in general just install the Package Disabler Pro. Presto. No more bloat,lag etc.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

I'll probably go out on a limb and say this.

Both the Galaxy S7 edge and Pixel XL are very good phones, each with their own objective superiorities which are also subject to subjective preferences.

For me, if you want a bevy of features in an attractive exterior, you may fancy the S7e, but if you want faster, seamless updates with fast, smooth software without too much additions, you may fancy the Pixel XL instead.

They're really good phones and whichever one you want really boils down to what you fancy in your own phone.

I really don't have a preference between the 2, but assuming both are Qualcomm-powered, I'd probably side with the Pixel, although if the S7 is Exynos-powered, it would be a bit tougher.

Just my 2 cents.

That cannot be, it makes too much sense! Only 1 shall stand! Sorry for the bad joke, but it just seems like a lot of people can't take it that they are all great phones that suit different people needs. My wife will never use a android, she won't spend the time to organize it like I do. And I don't like iPhone since I can't customize it the way I want to. And that's fine.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

That cannot be, it makes too much sense! Only 1 shall stand! Sorry for the bad joke, but it just seems like a lot of people can't take it that they are all great phones that suit different people needs. My wife will never use a android, she won't spend the time to organize it like I do. And I don't like iPhone since I can't customize it the way I want to. And that's fine.
Of course. All up to personal preference in the end.

Not even a phone that's universally crowned as the best will satisfy anyone and everyone due to subjective preferences. Obviously, each and every phone will have their own sets of objective advantages (design and features of the Galaxy S7e versus performance and seamless updates for the Pixel) but these can also be subject to personal preferences. Maybe someone really needs wireless charging or fast and seamless updates rank high on that list?

Nothing wrong with that. Buy what you like.

Mooserman15

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site

I don't want a phone or tablet with no microsd slot. The GS7 is better for about the same price.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174