Does Chrome lag on your M9?

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed severe lag when scrolling heavy sites like theverge using Chrome and Chrome beta. I was beginning to think that my M9 had a performance issue, but then I used Firefox and the HTC Internet app and both experienced no lag whatsoever.
I would still like to use Chrome, but Firefox is so much smoother, I cannot ignore it.
My only issue with Firefox is that it doesn't play videos embedded in TheVerge website. Apart from that I prefer it to Chrome.
Any ideas how scrolling in Chrome can be improved? Are you also experiencing this lag in Chrome? Please test with sites like TheVerge. Thanks.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I tried deleting the cache, rebooting the device but TheVerge stutters. Just open the Macbook review and start scrolling. At least I know it's not a M9 problem, since other browsers I use work smooth..

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
What's more interesting is that the first week I didn't have any lag in Chrome. It started yesterday..
I enabled reader mode in Chrome. That is the only difference. I will disable it and test again.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I think it may be lollipop. I have this on the nexus 9. Haven't had a chance to use the M9 much so don't know if does the same or not.

Posted via Android Central App

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue on Kit Kat. It's Chrome. It will stop and lag during scrolling. Hence I always used the stock browser. Less problems.

It may be chrome. But I never had a problem before lollipop so I figured it was related to that.

Posted via Android Central App

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Just use Firefox, it's an excellent browser.

Yes, but some embedded videos do not work in Firefox. Is there any plugin that can rectify that? For example, if you go to recode.net or theverge.com videos do not play on Firefox. On Chrome and using the HTC Internet app everything works.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but some embedded videos do not work in Firefox. Is there any plugin that can rectify that? For example, if you go to recode.net or theverge.com videos do not play on Firefox. On Chrome and using the HTC Internet app everything works.

I'm not entirely sure why, I see the video is trying to load but doesn't play. I usually just skip websites that don't work. Old habit from the days when IE dominated the Internet.

Verge is a good website, but I'm not willing to give up all the advantages of Firefox for it.

If you are a bit adventurous, try to see if you can install flash on lollipop.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure why, I see the video is trying to load but doesn't play. I usually just skip websites that don't work. Old habit from the days when IE dominated the Internet.

Verge is a good website, but I'm not willing to give up all the advantages of Firefox for it.

If you are a bit adventurous, try to see if you can install flash on lollipop.

Flash is out of the question for me. I hate flash and don't want to use it, even on my desktop computer. But you are right, Firefox on Android is really nice and I like the add ons that are available for it. It is also very smooth and works great, so yes, maybe if at some point some videos don't play, I can always switch to another browser that will play them. I just wished I could only use a single browser for everything.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

What's driving me crazy is that embedded videos do not format for the screen. On the stock browser or on Chrome. They just kinda start playing and I have to scroll up or down so they fit the screen correctly.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Chrome pretty much lags on every phone I have and had till now. Lags on my S6, M9 and N6. Chrome beta is better, but the built in OEM browser is far better currently in S6, but M9 ships with chrome. Probably have to try some other browser from play store.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Chrome pretty much lags on every phone I have and had till now. Lags on my S6, M9 and N6. Chrome beta is better, but the built in OEM browser is far better currently in S6, but M9 ships with chrome. Probably have to try some other browser from play store.

You can download the stock HTC browser in the Play store.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You can download the stock HTC browser in the Play store.
Thanks didn't know that... Was wondering where it went since it came out of the box in earlier phones. Thought they just decided to go with chrome instead of dedicating resources on maintaining the browser.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks didn't know that... Was wondering where it went since it came out of the box in earlier phones. Thought they just decided to go with chrome instead of dedicating resources on maintaining the browser.

I thought it was odd it wasn't preinstalled myself. It's not the most attractive browser, but I think it functions better than Chrome, Chrome Beta, or Dolphin.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I started using the HTC Internet browser and I like it. How do I sync my Safari bookmarks from my Mac? I used the HTC manager and enabled the sync option, but I don't see my bookmarks on my device.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000