Galaxy S20 Launch = Complete FLOP !

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Not sure I agree. It's the best Samsung ever made. I would love to have the regular S20 but unfortunately can't afford to drop $1k on a phone right now.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I was in Best Buy today to see if my Clipmate Spring Clip Holster from the S10 would work on the S20 and to play around with the S20 some more.. I dig it...

And yes, the clip holster for the S10 fits almost perfectly with the S20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6756106

A clip holster which I had in-stock from the Note9 also can accommodate the Note10 Plus and the S20 Ultra as I'm using ESR Kickstand cases on all of those phones. I was happy upon discovering this. I used to get shell holsters/belt clips for everything going back to the original Droid RAZR(s). Verizon offered a clip-type holster for the original Droid of 2009. I have yet to ever have a phone fall out of one of these setups.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
His local Best Buy, and Korea. But agree that post title should probably be edited, he may be right, but too early to know.

https://gizmodo.com/samsung-blames-the-coronavirus-for-the-galaxy-s20-s-hor-1841998615

I personally think the phones are $200 overpriced, They should be $800, $1000 and $1200 but that's just me. I also think there is some truth to the virus taking it's toll on sales as Apple and Microsoft have also said it's impacting their sales..

I would not call the S20 a flop. I think Samsung overpriced them but I also expect sales and discounts to slash the prices pretty quickly... Heck I got mine for $400 with Galaxy Buds after trading in my Pixel.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Let's be honest the high end Galaxy phones are not their best sellers anyway. And Samsung knows that so probably went with more profit margins and also it doesn't help that Qualcomm is charging high prices for their 865 chips because of 5G. Even last year I believe the S10 series weren't even in the top 10 best sold phones. It was mostly the A series phones because of cost. The Galaxy S and Note series will never sell well but more of higher profit margin phones and A,J or whatever other letter phones they have is the mass seller.

And the Corona virus thing isn't helping currently. Not only for Samsung but for all companies and not limited to tech. Variety of businesses are affected and will have an impact for the next couple of months.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Let's be honest the high end Galaxy phones are not their best sellers anyway. And Samsung knows that so probably went with more profit margins and also it doesn't help that Qualcomm is charging high prices for their 865 chips because of 5G. Even last year I believe the S10 series weren't even in the top 10 best sold phones. It was mostly the A series phones because of cost. The Galaxy S and Note series will never sell well but more of higher profit margin phones and A,J or whatever other letter phones they have is the mass seller.

And the Corona virus thing isn't helping currently. Not only for Samsung but for all companies and not limited to tech. Variety of businesses are affected and will have an impact for the next couple of months.

Midrange devices far outsell high devices

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My opinion is that as phone prices increase more and more people will hold off upgrading until they have to. The days of people upgrading every year are probably over as phone prices increase. The top dog S20 is what, $1400? That's a lot of bread and people won't be upgrading yearly at those prices...
1600 for the 512gb model.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I know many of us prefer buying unlocked from Samsung and for us the price is much more visible. But for majority do they even know the actual price of the phone and do the math? I doubt.

$1000 phone over 24 months is $41 as opposed to $58 for $1400 phone. I don't know how much that changes the buyer position when they are buying in carrier stores. I'm guessing the carrier stores aren't saying the full price of the phone anyway.

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
A lot of these phones are overpriced. Google gets almost$1000 for a pixel with outdated hardware. So Samsung sees that and adjusts accordingly. Other manufacturers will soon follow.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Never trust cameras to get fixed from software update from any company. We have seen plenty of promises from companies we will fix this and that but never improve. If the camera was dumpster fire sure they can improve. But this camera is good and don't know whatever issues are there can be improved or not. Bottom line I wouldn't buy this expecting something gets improved in 1 week or 6 months. Only buy if you like what you seeing now, if not wait for whatever has been promised and if that actually addresses your concerns.

This is exactly why I returned my Ultra today. I'm not banking on a software fix, not on a phone of this price. I've never been so disappointed by a purchase before.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Yep.

1. The 100X "space zoom" is pure garbage and most reviewers have said as much. People are reading that and finding out it's not worth it.
2. The $1,400 price tag for a phone that's not noticeably any better than last year's model isn't justifiable.
3. A $1,400 phone should have perfect hardware and software. The fact they they need to send out an update that won't necessarily make the cameras any better is alarming. The phone is literally being advertised because of its cameras.
4. I'm sure the coronavirus is impacting sales.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
If only there was a such thing as perfect we would've have a forum like this to discuss things like this. Also the upgrade rate would be much longer causing phone prices to be much higher.
Yep.

1. The 100X "space zoom" is pure garbage and most reviewers have said as much. People are reading that and finding out it's not worth it.
2. The $1,400 price tag for a phone that's not noticeably any better than last year's model isn't justifiable.
3. A $1,400 phone should have perfect hardware and software. The fact they they need to send out an update that won't necessarily make the cameras any better is alarming. The phone is literally being advertised because of its cameras.
4. I'm sure the coronavirus is impacting sales.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung put themselves in a tough position...

Last years S10, S10+ and S10 5G cost $999, $1099, $1299.

This years S20, S20+and S20 Ultra cost $999, $1299, $1399... They increased the + by $200!

The iPhone 11... And I’ll say that’s the fair comparison to the S20 and not the Pro... is $699!!

An iPhone 11 Pro is $999... same price as the S20 and you get the “Pro” camera setup.

The iPhone 11 Max Pro is $1099... $200 cheaper than the S20+ with no Pro camera setup.

They knew how much the iPhones go for and they purposely priced themselves over the iPhones. We’ll have to see how it plays out but I just don’t know if that is a good strategy. In advertising standpoint just seems like a mismatch. $200 increase over last years + and $200 over the Max Pro, they should have put a more convincing “Pro” camera setup on the + than to basically give the same setup as the base S20.

Seeing that $1400 price on the Ultra will make anyone cringe. Even if you are gonna be one of those people breaking an Ultra into monthly payments, seeing the monthly payments go from the $40 range break the $50 range may also make a person think twice... They are breaking so many of those psychological barriers when it comes to pricing.

And what happens going forward with the S21 if the S20 does disappoint? They set the precedent with the pricing they set right? They can’t drop the + back down $300 the next year can they??