Sence vs non Sence

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
OK im gonna ask this noob question and hope some one will explain it alittle better than i have found so far.. Ok so beside the obveous (spellcheck) what is the difference. I know i lose the HTC stuff like the clock and others. I have been reading up on the lastest CM7 and everyone is saying its so fast and better. Im currently running Ava Z3 but i would like to try the GB roms but im just worried about running a non-sence rom. Thanks for the help

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Sense is the user interface that runs on top of the Android OS. If you've played with Linux at all, it is kind of like Gnome vs KDE. They Sense UI includes the launcher at the bottom of the screen and a lot of the look and feel of the different windows.

If you want to try a ROM without Sense, make a full Nandroid backup of your current set up and then try out CM6 because it is a Froyo based ROM. I pretty much switch between Calkulin's EViO 2 ROM and CM6 depending on my mood.

The CM also uses a different bluetooth stack from HTC, so you can use your Wiimote with NES emulator programs.

Reactions: mhuggins

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Sense is the user interface that runs on top of the Android OS. If you've played with Linux at all, it is kind of like Gnome vs KDE. They Sense UI includes the launcher at the bottom of the screen and a lot of the look and feel of the different windows.

If you want to try a ROM without Sense, make a full Nandroid backup of your current set up and then try out CM6 because it is a Froyo based ROM. I pretty much switch between Calkulin's EViO 2 ROM and CM6 depending on my mood.

The CM also uses a different bluetooth stack from HTC, so you can use your Wiimote with NES emulator programs.

ok see thats what i was wondering... im liking the custom roms and i just got AvaZ3 the way i like it and i get great battery life but i keep reading about the GB roms and how great they are. I guess my biggest worry is losing sence and messing something up. I flash alot of sence roms but this is the first time im thinking about a non-sence.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
ok see thats what i was wondering... im liking the custom roms and i just got AvaZ3 the way i like it and i get great battery life but i keep reading about the GB roms and how great they are. I guess my biggest worry is losing sence and messing something up. I flash alot of sence roms but this is the first time im thinking about a non-sence.

If you decide to flash CM6, don't forget to wipe your device (flash, dalvik, . . .) first.

The CM6 ROM is very fast part due to the low overhead (Sense uses more resources than the stock Android to improve the user experience) and because the Kernel is overclocked.

The downside to running a ASOP ROM is that you lose HDMI and 4G. The 4G can often be added to CM6 with a different kernel. The HDMI is still unavailable. So, that is something to consider as well. My HDMI cable is supposed to show up tomorrow, so that may influence my decision.

Remember, the phone is yours and you should feel free to run it in whatever way suits you. No ROM is for everybody. If you like a Sense based ROM better, stay with it (but don't be afraid to try out a different one).

Out of curiosity, are you flashing ROMs using ROM manager or with a custom recovery like Amon_Ra or Clockworkmod?

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I have Rom Manager installed and running Clockwork. When i flash i boot into recovery and flash from there. I have heard people have issue flashing using rom manager. As for the other stuff i dont have 4g where i am at and i dont have the HDMI cable yet so i should be good to go. I have one last question for you, do i need to run setcpu with CM7 or 6. I just like my battery life and if i need to run it i would like to know ahead of time. Thanks

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
If you decide to flash CM6, don't forget to wipe your device (flash, dalvik, . . .) first.

The CM6 ROM is very fast part due to the low overhead (Sense uses more resources than the stock Android to improve the user experience) and because the Kernel is overclocked.

The downside to running a ASOP ROM is that you lose HDMI and 4G. The 4G can often be added to CM6 with a different kernel. The HDMI is still unavailable. So, that is something to consider as well. My HDMI cable is supposed to show up tomorrow, so that may influence my decision.

Remember, the phone is yours and you should feel free to run it in whatever way suits you. No ROM is for everybody. If you like a Sense based ROM better, stay with it (but don't be afraid to try out a different one).

Out of curiosity, are you flashing ROMs using ROM manager or with a custom recovery like Amon_Ra or Clockworkmod?

Actually, the OP was wanting to run a Gingerbread ROM. With CM7, Wimax is working now, so the only thing missing is HDMI. Not sure how often that highly limited feature is used (only works with Youtube and Gallery) but until the HDMI mirroring feature comes out, this is not a big loss at all. Once the HDMI mirroring is ready, I believe the devs just have to include some extra lines of code into their ROMs and this new HDMI feature will work with all ROMs. Then we will have CM7 (Gingerbread) working with all HW features! Can't wait for this one. I am running CM7 with Wimax now and it is awesome! You should definatly load it up and give it a spin.

If you are interested in the HDMI mirroring progress, you should hit this link:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/35955-evo-hdmi-out-mirroring.html

Here is a link to the latest CM7 with Wimax ROM:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=902051

Have fun!

Reactions: mhuggins

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the OP was wanting to run a Gingerbread ROM. With CM7, Wimax is working now, so the only thing missing is HDMI. Not sure how often that highly limited feature is used (only works with Youtube and Gallery) but until the HDMI mirroring feature comes out, this is not a big loss at all. Once the HDMI mirroring is ready, I believe the devs just have to include some extra lines of code into their ROMs and this new HDMI feature will work with all ROMs. Then we will have CM7 (Gingerbread) working with all HW features! Can't wait for this one. I am running CM7 with Wimax now and it is awesome! You should definatly load it up and give it a spin.

If you are interested in the HDMI mirroring progress, you should hit this link:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/35955-evo-hdmi-out-mirroring.html

Here is a link to the latest CM7 with Wimax ROM:
[ROM][gginggerbread-6] - Wimax for cm7! Self-replicating code is self-replicating - xda-developers

Have fun!

thanks man... hows your battery life and are u using setcpu or is there a need to run it..

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

I know that the OP was interested in Gingerbread, but I was using CM6 in my example because that is a clear way to show the difference between a Sense based ROM and an ASOP ROM with the same version of Android running behind them.

It was only intended to be an apples to apples comparison. I wasn't trying to discourage the OP from CM7.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is great with CM7. I get a full day out of it with heavy use. I do use setcpu, more for the profiles than for the overclocking, but I do OC to 1.036 GHz just becasue I can! LOL! CM7 is very snappy and there are a lot of GB features that you will get very use to having, which makes going back to a FROYO based build very difficult!

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I know that the OP was interested in Gingerbread, but I was using CM6 in my example because that is a clear way to show the difference between a Sense based ROM and an ASOP ROM with the same version of Android running behind them.

It was only intended to be an apples to apples comparison. I wasn't trying to discourage the OP from CM7.

No worries, I wasn't trying to flame you or anything. :) I was just making the point that CM7 does have Wimax working, which is another adv of CM7 vs. CM6. CM6 was great for it's time but with CM7 almost fully functional and bringing all the newness of GB, I have a feeling it's going to die off quickly.

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is great with CM7. I get a full day out of it with heavy use. I do use setcpu, more for the profiles than for the overclocking, but I do OC to 1.036 GHz just becasue I can! LOL! CM7 is very snappy and there are a lot of GB features that you will get very use to having, which makes going back to a FROYO based build very difficult!

So if I'm not going to overclock then I'm ok

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes sir! If you want to get into overclocking then you need to read up on some of the Kernels that are out there. Flashing a different Kernel gives you access to features like overclocking, increased battery life, etc... But for now, I'd just flash up to CM7 and give it a spin and see how you like it. If you've been running a Sense ROM for a long time, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the differences. Makes it feel like a brand new phone! CM7 is my daily driver at the moment (but I do have other Sense and non-Sense ROMs backed up and ready for restore should I need/miss them).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts