Verizon LTE outage

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
i called about a credit, told him i just switch to verizon for the so called "most reliable network", he apologized and said how emabarrassed he was. I tried to get a credit, but he said to call after the service comes back up.

That may be because they want to figure out how much of a credit they need to offer based on how long it's actually down. If it turns out to be three or four days it might be a substantial credit (wild guess here), at least more so than a 12 hour outage.

Psyc

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Verizon acknowledges 4G LTE outage
By Brad Reed
April 27, 2011 11:47 AM ET
Comments (0)
Recommended (5)

Network World - Verizon this morning acknowledged that its 4G LTE network was not working for users across the U.S. after reports trickled in overnight about a nationwide outage.

ANALYSIS: Breaking down carriers' "4G" wireless spin

In an update posted through its official Twitter account, Verizon Wireless acknowledged that it was "aware of an issue with 4G LTE connections" and said that its "network engineers are working to resolve quickly."

Verizon's update came hours after reports began surfacing on tech news sites such as Engadget that 4G connectivity had been knocked offline nationwide. Engadget's Vlad Savov reported that when he tried to connect to the LTE network with an HTC Thunderbolt in San Francisco this morning, the phone could only latch onto Verizon's 3G EV-DO Rev. A network. Multiple LTE users also registered problems they were having over Twitter.

The outage marks the first major issue for Verizon's LTE network, which came on line in December. The carrier's network has so far proven to be the fastest wireless data network in the U.S., as initial tests showed data downloads frequently topping 10Mbps in most major markets, although these tests were run when the network just started and didn't have much congestion. A test released in March by PC World showed that Verizon's LTE laptop air cards provided average download speeds of 6.5Mbps and average upload speeds of 5Mbps.

LTE is essentially a bridge from 3G technologies such as HSPA and EV-DO Rev. A to the 4G IMT-Advanced technologies that the International Telecommunications Union has said will support speeds up to 100Mbps. Rival carrier AT&T said at this year's Consumer Electronics Show that it planned on launching its own LTE services in a limited number of markets this summer. So far AT&T has relied on upgrading its 3G HSPA network to HSPA+ technology to boost data speeds before making the switch to LTE.

another article;

Verizon 4G LTE network outage
By Edwin Kee - 04/27/2011 10:23 PDT

Verizon Wireless, touted to deliver the nation’s fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network, is currently experiencing the unexpected – it’s network is down. This outage happened earlier this morning, so those of you out there who own the HTC Thunderbolt as well as piggyback on the plethora of wireless data cards from Verizon Wireless would have woken up to a rude surprise earlier this morning, no thanks to the aforementioned broadband outage. Ah well, at least it means you can turn off 4G connectivity for your Thunderbolt and save some battery life in the meantime.

Since there is no longer 4G support at the moment, zippy handsets (data-wise, that is) will now be quite slow as you take ten steps back into the past as you surf the mobile web at 2G speeds on Verizon’s 1X CDMA network.

Verizon is not oblivious to the issue, and has mentioned that they are going to look into it. In a twist of irony, Verizon is currently attempting to draw some distance between itself and rival AT&T by touting a superior 4G service, but if such outages can occur, then it won’t do too well for its portfolio, don’t you think so? Since Thunderbolt owners cannot receive 3G network access and have to settle for less, it is kind of funny to know that other Verizon 3G users can still enjoy decent speeds – albeit not at 4G.

Last edited:

squeakyl

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Is the 3G and 4G down-ness only for the tbolt? My Versa is fine on 3G right now. This is relevant because I was planning on going to the VZW store and picking up a tbolt this evening!! I read earlier that this has happened before, does this happen often for significant periods of time??

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Is the 3G and 4G down-ness only for the tbolt? My Versa is fine on 3G right now. This is relevant because I was planning on going to the VZW store and picking up a tbolt this evening!! I read earlier that this has happened before, does this happen often for significant periods of time??

Thunderbolt is the only phone impacted.

Rhyyker

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I've had the thunderbolt since day 1 and this has never happened before. Hasn't been around so long yet so I guess that's not too impressive.

jedoles

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Damn my battery performance is great

Im not sure why so many people are having problems with their batteries. I admit the first 2 weeks were horrible but after it was conditioned and after turning some of the syncs off I get a good 22 hours out of my battery and I am in a 4G area. Given I did root and am running Bamf Remix 1.5 with leaked radio so that may contribute quite a bit but overall I am quite impressed.

I do still have some things synced like email every 15 min, Weather every 3 hours and Facebook every hour.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how battery life is during a data outage.

Couldn't possibly be worse than the 3-5 hours (total/standby) I was getting on my 'Bolt.

Battery life is pretty good now. But whatever was happening last night completely killed my fully charged phone (took it off the charger at 1 am and woke up at 10 am to have 9% left with absolutely no usage).

wthinsonjr

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Camden, SC

Had 3G all last night (Up to 3AM). Woke up this morning (9AM) and had 1X. Went to lunch (12:30'ish PM) with a friend of mine and got a random reboot. Phone was syncing for about 5-10 minutes after reboot and then stopped. 4G isn't listed on the Verizon map for Columbia, SC, but I can verify that it does exist there. Still on 1X as I write this, but am currently using wifi.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
4G isn't listed on the Verizon map for Columbia, SC, but I can verify that it does exist there. Still on 1X as I write this, but am currently using wifi.

Just looked up Columbia and it's showing LTE on the map. It was one of the cities that was switched on last Thursday.