SOLUTION: No data problem

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE HAVING DATA CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS!!!

I woke up this morning and had NO mobile data. I had a 3G icon with a steady up arrow. Called VZW tech support and we ran through some tests. He sent me a picture message, which I received. He then had me return it to him. He got my reply. Since picture messaging and data run on the same portion of the network, he assumed I had a bad setting somewhere. He had me do a reset, which did not work. He then had me do a battery pull for 1 minute. Again, no success.

At this point, he said "I hate to tell you this, but I ran into this problem with another Thunderbolt customer yesterday, and the only way we could get his data back up was to do a hard reset" I thanked him for his help and told him that I was capable of handling the reset on my own, but that I was reluctant to do it just now, as I was heading out and didn't want to be missing all of my apps. He offered to call me back tomorrow and make sure everything was ok, and we ended the call.

On a whim, I decided to try putting the phone into airplane mode. I waited about 30 seconds, then turned airplane mode off. My 3G icon did NOT return, and I got a message telling me there was no mobile connection, along with a button to check my settings. Sure enough, under Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks, my "Mobile Network" was now unchecked. I checked the box, then opened the "System Select" and checked "Automatic"

Everything is now perfect. Email and Exchange are syncing and internet and other data access is back!

Hopefully this helps some other members avoid the dreaded "Factory Reset" :D

EDIT: UPDATE!!! I called the original tech back and told him about this. I just received the following text:

"900080004009:
FREE VZW MSG-DO NOT REPLY: it really worked. Csr with same exact issue. Thanks Lee!"

Last edited:

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
never had this issue but by default it should had been in auto

It WAS. Something went wonky and this was the result. It doesn't make sense, but it wasn't the first time the tech heard it, and from the text he sent me, it wasn't the last :p The good news is now maybe this will get added to a known issues list and fixed via OTA.

BTW, haven't seen you in the TB forums before yesterday, but you certainly know your stuff. Nice to have you aboard!

Reactions: dajogejr

mhind52

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
It WAS. Something went wonky and this was the result. It doesn't make sense, but it wasn't the first time the tech heard it, and from the text he sent me, it wasn't the last :p The good news is now maybe this will get added to a known issues list and fixed via OTA.

BTW, haven't seen you in the TB forums before yesterday, but you certainly know your stuff. Nice to have you aboard!

Mine still stalls all the time. I actually cant get the mobile data to work at all right now with the 3g icon showing. I have restarted 3 times...

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine still looses the 3G icon even when showing signal bars. I have messed with the settings etc. I did notice that it does not happen as often once I set it to only CDMA service with no LTE.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This happened once to me too. I did the same thing (just thought of it :) ) and all is well. It can take a while to cycle from Airplane mode and back again after you have mucked with the "Phone Info" settings I noticed.

Still really loving this phone...

-Frank

philrob

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I often loose data while in 3G/4G mode and have consistently been able to get data working again by switching to the 3G mode using the method already discussed on this site.

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I often loose data while in 3G/4G mode and have consistently been able to get data working again by switching to the 3G mode using the method already discussed on this site.

I think that's a different issue. I should have noted that I'm in a 3G only area.

caldeco

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have tried all recommended solutions and even exchanged to a different phone. I constantly loose data connection of any kind. Even my weather app often says no data connection. My wife's Eris has no problems when compared side by side. I am very dissappointed.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed a few times while at work my phone would get that no data or no mobile network available..click on settings or something about wifi idk. I ended up having problems at home this morning and saw others were too. That mobile network was off. I think the reason it happens at my job is cause its kind of a dead zone with At&t towers on our building. With my old blackberry I noticed it would connect to At&t, but not work in terms of data, and then I would have to do a manual host routing table (basically re register my phone for the verizon network) not sure if thats what may be happening to my thunderbolt as well. Kinda odd

AlpineM3#AC

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I too get the signal dropping.....could it be that maybe we all have this one particular problem that I have noticed and it kind of makes sense. The battery cover never sits flush against the phone in the corner where the antenna contacts are. Could it be that we are having bad contact issues (assuming your guy's battery covers are a bit lifted in that top corner near the power button)......thoughts?

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I too get the signal dropping.....could it be that maybe we all have this one particular problem that I have noticed and it kind of makes sense. The battery cover never sits flush against the phone in the corner where the antenna contacts are. Could it be that we are having bad contact issues (assuming your guy's battery covers are a bit lifted in that top corner near the power button)......thoughts?

I dont think so, nor would I know depends on your area. I know for sure when I had my blackberry I couldnt get good service as well. I know its just my building.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Those are all temprary issues. I have been through them. I am getting way better 4g connection in my area for the last two days. My ticket is not resolved yet but I just called and asked for an update and she said the notes said there are problmes with the switch or something and expect it to get fixed by the weekend, since my connection is already much better I think Verizon is having network problems.

peptoe

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My Mobile Network always switches to fail.

I'll click it and it will say connect, and then I will go back and say failed. Again if everything works when this says fails, is it even an issue?

thecackster

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I too am losing all data connection at times.. I started a thread at Android Forums before finding this thread. Glad to see I'm not alone, hopefully a fix in the works.

Nidaja

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I got a new phone today, because no one could "Hear me now!".

This NEW phone now says the mobile network is not on, even though it is checked in settings.

This fix does not fix the issue for me :(

I never get a message after turning off airplane mode that there is no mobile network. When I try to refresh mail though, I do. It gives me the window to go to settings, mobile network is checked as on ALREADY and system select is already set to automatic.

No joy.

I am really getting tired of driving up to the corp VZ store day after day after day.

zomac

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Same problem here.

3g only area. Only one or two bars at a time when I had 3g all the first day.

Cant open inernet or Market. Getting "A network error has occured. Retry, or cancel and return to previous screen."

Mobile Connection is on but says failed in settings. About to call Verizon.

swamp

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem. No 3G or 4G data available periodically. Airplane mode is often a good fix for these things but it does not work on the Tbolt for me. My Settings>Wireless>Mobile network gets stuck where I can not check nor uncheck the box and in the 2nd line of text says something like searching. A reboot does fix the issue for me. Hopefully it is more of a network issue as opposed to a TBolt issue.