WiFi Low Signal Issue

JTimp716

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I have had my GS4 a little over a year now and so far have really enjoyed the phone. However within the last day or two I have been experiencing WiFi problems which I have never had before. When standing right next to my TP-Link WDR3600 I have good signal, but when I walk 20 feet away, the signal drops to 0-1 bars. All other electronic devices in my house have 3-5 bars of WiFi regardless of where I stand in my house. My phone used to have great WiFi coverage, and now it sucks.

When these issues arose I thought maybe I should update my phone from 4.3 to 4.4, however that did not fix anything. So far I have tried factory resetting my phone twice as well as clearing the cache. Nothing has worked. I know this is not a problem with my router as I am experiencing the problems on my WiFi at work and at a friends house.

Any insight would be great. Thank you

rwcollett

May 21, 2010
Visit site
My story is the same is yours except I have been running 4.4 since it was available. I noticed the problem 2-3 days ago. It seemed to be resolved yesterday for about 6 hrs, but then right back to 0-1 bar of wifi signal. I have no idea on a solution.

rwcollett

May 21, 2010
Visit site
So I seem to have fixed the problem. I did a search for the wifi antenna location on the S4 (if you are looking at the back of the device it is located just below the top left screw) to see if it was a hardware issue. The website suggested "cleaning" the antenna so I merely rubbed a few times with my t-shirt. BOOM wifi signal back to normal. I haven't been out of the house to test it else wear , but it seems to be working fine now.

Hope this helps!

JTimp716

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. I will try this out ASAP and let you konw how it goes. Just one quick question.

Did you remove the whole back cover as shown in the pictures below? Or were you able to just pop off the little plastic antenna cover which is shown in picture 1?

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

rwcollett

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I ONLY took off the battery cover. I just rubbed the little plastic antenna area that is in the box in the first pic. Just to stress, I did not remove anything other that the battery cover.

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Sounds a little bit like magic. The truth might be that your antenna connector has loose contact. The antenna connector (pic 2) is a spring contact, which in my case was pressed down and had no contact. You have to remove the "midframe" (google for an unmounting guide)! Then slightly pull up the spring contact for the wifi antenna until it looks like the other spring contacts.

RHCDS

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I had the same exact issue and when I looked closer I saw one of the spring-like contacts was bent. You need to be careful it seems during reassembly to lay the back on and with the screen face down on a completely flat surface press straight down on ad many sides at once so the back goes straight down. That is what seemed to be the issue for me.

May 12, 2016
Visit site
dsl pour ma langue francais ok traduction ok
moi aussi jai rencontrer meme probleme que siegnal wifi faible alors jai dessoude le COIL et jai changer la petite capacitore et le problème a été résolut waaaaaaw :):):):):):):):):)

JTkc

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Been having wifi signal issues as well, powered down the phone, removed the battery cover and wiped it off with tshirt. Replaced cover powered it up and wow!
Before i cleaned it i had a bar or two showing on the wifi signal indicator, after full signal! Thanks for this!

tomhoc84

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys !

I'm new on forum I hae a SG 4 I 9505. I have a problem with wifi.. When I switchid on signal is low... I curently runs on lolipop.. If I downgrade to 4.4 can be better ?

Thanks !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non