Who's planning to exchange their Epic?

EpicUser05

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I switched from Verizon to Sprint to get an Epic. I'm still within my 30 day window. I carried over my old number, anyone know if I can keep it if I cancel my subscription and switch to another carrier?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
For those of you who bought an Epic on launch day, the 30-day exchange deadline is approaching fast. Are you thinking about trading it in for something else? Or, are you planning to "stand by your Epic"?

I'm a little on the fence. My observations:
--150Kbps uploads on 3G. If I didn't live in a 4G city, I'd probably trade it in for this issue alone.
--4G is awesome when I can get it. I live "inside the loop" in Houston, so coverage is pretty good around my area. I'll have the chance to test it out in Austin this weekend.
--I've had pretty good luck with the GPS. Sometimes it takes a minute or so to lock on, but when it does it is dead-on accurate. It's in the same league as my Garmin Nuvi 660.
--Crackly earpiece when the volume is high.
--Battery life could use an improvement. It's not as bad as some people report (I use Juice Defender), but I sometimes can't make it through through the day with heavy usage. Usually, I'll keep it charged while I'm working so that I have enough juice when I'm out at night. If I keep the phone, I'll buy an extra battery. Important trick: toggle the airplane mode on, then off after you power on the phone. That will reset the radio, and battery life will improve.
--Physical keyboard is nice to have sometimes, but Swype is so good that I rarely use the physical keyboard. I'll probably skip it on my next phone to save some bulk.

It looks like the Evo has just received some nice updates for its issues; I'm a little tempted. I'll just have to make sure that I don't fall for the "grass is greener on the other side" phenomenon. But -- if I keep the Epic, hopefully the niggling bugs (especially the upload speed, and maybe battery life) are fixed through updates. My decision would be really easy (keep it!) if they'd throw us an update before the 30th.

I'm moving back to the Evo, but I still have an Epic around, so I will have both of the devices (mainly using an Evo though as the Epic belongs to another family member :)

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Why are you returning the Epic? Why do you prefer the EVO?

I like both phones, but I like having a lot more ROM options. Also, the email client worked much better with my accounts (k-9 mail could not solve my push problems unfortunately). Also, battery life, believe it or not, is MUCH worse on the Epic than on the Evo I had. My Evo got 12 hours a day with super heavy usage, while the Epic only got 7 hrs., 50 min at the most.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Thinking of going back to my Pre.

Things I love:
- Epic's screen and size
- Camera and video
- learned to love the digital keyboard

Things I hate:
- android: notifications, email app(s), feels gimmicky
- $10 monthly fee (and for what really?)
- 3G issues (not just battery), the way it stalls phone when you email pics
- no way to turn off email LED notification

still thinking about it. Pre is hacked to 1Ghz so it's not bad

I'm coming from a Pre to an EPIC, and I agree with everything you've said. Here's what's actually keeping me with the EPIC:
1) When the Pre dies, it takes 6min to power back up. EPIC does it under 30 sec.
2) The overclock worked great for me at 800mhz, but in the summer (due to hear) it doesn't work as well. An update also messed up my overclock. Some time my phone overclocks and other times it doesn't. That's very annoying.

I miss Webos, but not the hardware.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of returning my evo for the epic, I miss the keyboard.

Htc removed 30 fps cap, my evo is rooted and perfect (can and will unroot if needed)

Anyone in the san diego area wanna do a flat trade? I haven't even dropped my baby yet, I have swype on it, and theres no problems. Just sayin' ;)

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I was strongly considering swapping my Epic for an Evo but as of now I think I'm going to stick with the Epic but there is a caveat, I'm on my second Epic...

My first Epic was plagued with issues, from the get go the battery was draining abnormally fast with little to no use and I set up the device to use as little juice as possible. I would take the phone off the charger at 7AM to head out to work and by noon it was almost dead and I never even touched the phone for the most part. GPS rarely worked and I had the infamous time without signal bug of 50% or greater and I had to either PRL update or toggle airplane mode to get the phone to stop searching for WCDMA.

Then the 09/16 update came out and the phone got worse, the PRL update/airplane mode toggle didn't seem to have any affect anymore, I could never get below 55% without signal and the phone went back to draining power without even being used for anything and I had to live off a wall or car charger.

Since others were reporting never having any of these issues I figured I just had a bad device but I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it or switch to an Evo so I headed back to the Sprint store with the intent to swap to an Evo but almost every person working in the store talked me out of it and convinced me to swap out Epics to an other one. So they did a TEP replacement for me so I'd keep my 30 day exchange intact in case I ran into the same issues with the replacement, they even let me keep all of my original accessories from the old phone like the battery, charger, cable, ear buds and microSD card :D

Well, the new Epic is a night and day difference from the old one, I haven't had to PRL update or toggle airplane mode once, my time without signal has never exceeded 10% and I was in a fringe coverage area when it did hit 10% and I now get perferct GPS and fast locks along with awesome battery life. I took my phone off the charger today a 7AM like usual and the phone is still showing 75% remaining not at 11:35PM and I've been using the phone quite a bit today for web, texting, nav and talk. I've had the replacement since Saturday and so far not one complaint.

I haven't installed the update yet to DI07 because I'm afraid the phone will start acting all whack again like the old one did but I'm considering just taking the plunge and just installing it since I'm getting tired of the intall pop up's every 10 minutes and also because this device doesn't seem to have any of the issues the old one did.

All in all, if my current Epic is the way the Epic is supposed to work, I'm very pleased and I have no itch to try the Evo other then curiosity but right now I'm very happy with this device however I would've dumped it in a heartbeat for the Evo if the replacement worked like the first one I had.

eriksseven

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I was strongly considering swapping my Epic for an Evo but as of now I think I'm going to stick with the Epic but there is a caveat, I'm on my second Epic...

My first Epic was plagued with issues, from the get go the battery was draining abnormally fast with little to no use and I set up the device to use as little juice as possible. I would take the phone off the charger at 7AM to head out to work and by noon it was almost dead and I never even touched the phone for the most part. GPS rarely worked and I had the infamous time without signal bug of 50% or greater and I had to either PRL update or toggle airplane mode to get the phone to stop searching for WCDMA.

Then the 09/16 update came out and the phone got worse, the PRL update/airplane mode toggle didn't seem to have any affect anymore, I could never get below 55% without signal and the phone went back to draining power without even being used for anything and I had to live off a wall or car charger.

Since others were reporting never having any of these issues I figured I just had a bad device but I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it or switch to an Evo so I headed back to the Sprint store with the intent to swap to an Evo but almost every person working in the store talked me out of it and convinced me to swap out Epics to an other one. So they did a TEP replacement for me so I'd keep my 30 day exchange intact in case I ran into the same issues with the replacement, they even let me keep all of my original accessories from the old phone like the battery, charger, cable, ear buds and microSD card :D

Well, the new Epic is a night and day difference from the old one, I haven't had to PRL update or toggle airplane mode once, my time without signal has never exceeded 10% and I was in a fringe coverage area when it did hit 10% and I now get perferct GPS and fast locks along with awesome battery life. I took my phone off the charger today a 7AM like usual and the phone is still showing 75% remaining not at 11:35PM and I've been using the phone quite a bit today for web, texting, nav and talk. I've had the replacement since Saturday and so far not one complaint.

I haven't installed the update yet to DI07 because I'm afraid the phone will start acting all whack again like the old one did but I'm considering just taking the plunge and just installing it since I'm getting tired of the intall pop up's every 10 minutes and also because this device doesn't seem to have any of the issues the old one did.

All in all, if my current Epic is the way the Epic is supposed to work, I'm very pleased and I have no itch to try the Evo other then curiosity but right now I'm very happy with this device however I would've dumped it in a heartbeat for the Evo if the replacement worked like the first one I had.

Great story. This is awesome... I mean, simply awesome. I get about 6-8 hours of moderate/heavy usage. I am also on my 2nd EPIC and have both batteries now. My newer battery (dated 8.17) seems to go about 2 more hours longer then my old one, and also seems to charge significantly faster.

Would you mind looking at the build dates of both your phone and battery? Both EPIC's I've had were born on 8/10, but my newer EPIC came with an 8/17 battery.

Just details--hard facts! This is what we all need to help us overcome these battery obstacles. LOL

Would you

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Great story. This is awesome... I mean, simply awesome. I get about 6-8 hours of moderate/heavy usage. I am also on my 2nd EPIC and have both batteries now. My newer battery (dated 8.17) seems to go about 2 more hours longer then my old one, and also seems to charge significantly faster.

Would you mind looking at the build dates of both your phone and battery? Both EPIC's I've had were born on 8/10, but my newer EPIC came with an 8/17 battery.

Just details--hard facts! This is what we all need to help us overcome these battery obstacles. LOL

Would you

Thanks Erik, I appreciate that! After the replacement phone, I do think that there are a batch of good Epic's out there and that Sammy just tanked QC with these things and probably just pushed them out the door to meet a launch deadline. I would've rathery they either just pushed the launch back or QC checked these things before shipping and had limited stock for the first week or two while QC'ing the phones but that's just my opinion...

I'd love to check the build date but where do I find this? I tried pulling the back cover and battery out but I didn't see anything that looked like a build date on the new phone on the sticker with the ESN and barcodes under the battery and same with the battery. I tried ##RTN# and didn't see a build date there either and that's how I normally got the build date from my numerous WM phones.

Maybe I'm blind and missing something...LOL Do me a favor, can you take a pic of where your build date is and PM me? Of course hide your ESN info and all that, I just want to see where the build date is because I'm either blind or an idiot because I can't fine mine...LOL

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Would you

The first battery is 08/05, the new battery is 08/25 but I haven't used that one yet and the 0ld battery is in the new phone.

As for the build date of the new phone, I'm not positive but the only thing on the back that looks like a date is 10.9 which could mean 9/10 but if that's the case I find it hard to believe that it was built on 9/10 and able for it to ship from Asia and into a Sprint store by 9/18 which is the day I got it so I suspect I have to look elsewhere for the phone's build date...

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
For those of you who bought an Epic on launch day, the 30-day exchange deadline is approaching fast. Are you thinking about trading it in for something else? Or, are you planning to "stand by your Epic"?

I bought my Epic on launch day but after 3 weeks with it, I swapped it for an Evo. I think that Samsung has a good foundation for a really superior phone with the Epic but there were just too many small things that bothered me (but could be non-issues for others).

- Battery life was horrible for me. It would drop 10%/hr from just sitting there. Battery life improved after a hard reset but then the update broke that. Did two more hard resets, updated PRL, and used Advanced Task Killer but still very poor battery life. I bought a second OEM battery also but that one didn't last any longer.
- Build quality. I'm coming from a Touch Pro2 and while I didn't expect the Epic to be built like that, it did feel too "plasticy" and hollow to me, like it wouldn't make it through a year. The slider was also nice and tight when I got it on launch day but after 3 weeks of heavy use, it understandably loosened up but still, I didn't like that. My TP2 never loosened up the way the Epic did, stayed nice and tight.
- Buttons. I hated where the power button was placed on the side and how everytime I pushed it, I unintentionally opened the slider a bit. I adjusted the way I held the phone (haha, I made fun of my iphone friends for this, never thought I'd be in the same boat) so that my fingers would grip the bottom half of the slider instead of the top half so that I wouldn't open the slider when pusing the power button. And while this worked, I was never satisfied with the solution simply because the Epic is so thin, gripping it on the bottom half of the slider when pushing the power button doesn't provide much surface area to get a grip that is sturdy enough for my liking. Therefore, I constantly felt like I might drop the Epic when I went to push the power button due to the way I was gripping it to avoid opening the slider. And any time I did want to open the slider, again, because the Epic is so thin, I felt I had to be extremely careful to align my fingers precisely on the right places on the Epic otherwise if I didn't, I might lose my grip and drop it. I know, I can't have a thin phone and have it both ways though. Also, the capacitive buttons just weren't that responsive for me (and yes, I adjusted the keyboard timeout to match the screen timeout). I would say the Epic registered my key presses 80% of the time, which isn't bad but not exactly acceptable in my book.
- Software. Touchwiz felt very much like an unfinished product to me (especially compared to HTC Sense). The Samsung widgets weren't very impressive either and while I know I could have simply installed Launcher Pro, I didn't want to be running two launchers simultaneously. Email app was a joke and therefore had to use two separate apps to cover my email needs (Touchdown for Exchange and K-9 for my IMAP accounts). Didn't care for the Android stock music player either (why didn't Samsung include their own version?). Also, setting ringtones was a pain. I use hosted Exchange for email/contacts/calendar but in order to set individual ringtones for specific contacts (without the help of a 3rd party app), the contact has to be in your Gmail contacts. So I had to import my contacts into gmail, sync them to to the phone, assign the individual ringtones, then hide the gmail contacts from being displayed so I wouldn't have duplicates. Not a very sound approach IMO. Sense doesn't require any of that. Just open the hosted Exchange contact and set the ringtone. Simple. Overall, the Samsung software felt very beta to me (and somewhat cartoonish) and that Samsung hadn't taken the time to consider the 'small things' like HTC does in Sense IMO.
- Did not like how the microUSB port was on the top making for a sideways placement when on the Samsung cradle. This meant that when sitting in the cradle, the home screen was unrotated (stayed in portrait mode) or if I used the media dock app, it indeed would give me a landscape view with the clock and those various icons on the button, none of which I found useful. Would have much preferred to either be able to customize the dock app with my own icons or simply display one of the Touchwiz home screens in landscape view without the keyboard open.
- Something I did like was the keyboard. QWERTY keyboard phones I've owned include the Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Samsung i730, PPC-6700, PPC-6800, Touch Pro, and the Touch Pro2 and I thought the Epic's was the best. I picked it up and was immediately faster on it than with any of the other keyboards.
- Screen is gorgeous. I don't think anything more needs to be said about that.
- Sasmsung's version of the drop-down bar with the radio controlls stickied at the top I thought was a nice touch vs the Evo that lacks that.
- The Epic was/is FAST and responsive! So is the Evo but the Epic edges is out by just a little in this case.
- I liked on the Epic how you could drag the circle on the lock screen downwards to gain immediate access to unread messages. Evo doesn't have that as far as I can tell.

Now on to the Evo:
- As previously mentioned, I think the version of HTC Sense that is on the Evo is just outstanding (especially when compared to Touchwiz) IMO. Its obvious HTC put a lot of thought into it. The widgets, email app, music player (which you can control from the lock screen), etc, it all just flows together really nicely for a seamless experience IMO. Of the 7 home screens on the Epic, I used only 4 of them as I felt there just weren't enough compelling widgets from Sasmung to fill them all up. With the Evo, I have filled up all 7 home screens with HTC widgets and actually wish I had a few more home screens to put more widgets.
- Froyo. Yes, the Epic will get that too eventually but its really nice to have it now. Being able to view flash content inline in the browser, I am just finding that so useful.
- While clearly not as vibrant as the Epic's screen, I am really enjoying the extra 0.3" on the Evo. It may not seem like much but for whatever reason, it just makes the experience that much better for me.
- Battery life is improved compared to the Epic (at least for me). I can now make it through a 12 hour day with moderate to heavy usage.
- Kickstand. I didn't realize how much I was going to use this. A really nice touch by HTC.
- Virtual landscape keboard. This was my biggest concern from switching from the Epic. As previously mentioned, I have owned several qwerty keyboard phones and consider that a requirement for any new phone I may purchase. However, after a few minutes with the Evo, I realized I had nothing to worry about. The landscape virtual keyboard is so big, typing on it is a breeze. Getting faster on it every day and starting to approach the typing speed I had with the Epic.
- Evo feels more "boxy" than the Epic. The Epic, while I was not a fan of its build quality, shape-wise, did feel like a phone. Evo feels more like a PDA and while its not a deal-breaker, I wish it felt more like the Epic. I do like the slightly increased weight of the Evo though. Gives it a more solid feel IMO compared to the Epic (I realize though that's more personal preference as some people understandably want their phone as light as possible).
- 4G takes a few seconds longer to connect on the Evo. I also liked that after you turned on 4G on the Epic, it would tell you wether or not it connected. Evo does not tell you this, you have to see if you have a 4G icon or not in the status bar.

Overall, I'm just really happy with the Evo and glad I made the switch as it solved just about all the concerns I had with the Epic. I think the Epic is a great phone and can't fault anyone for going with it, it just wasn't for me at this time.

Last edited:

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Overall, I'm just really happy with the Evo and glad I made the switch as it solved just about all the concerns I had with the Epic. I think the Epic is a great phone and can't fault anyone for going with it, it just wasn't for me at this time.

Love this comment / impression! Wish more people thought like you instead of turning into phone bashing fanboys!:cool:

Jeff W

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity , how much did you get for your Pre through craigslist?

I let it go for $125, I had everything that it came with and packaged it all right back up like it was new, had an Otterbox case for it as well that I threw in.

Only real problem I had is I live in Detroit and people do not want to come into the city or meet at a house, I always have to meet them somewhere at a public place.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I bought my Epic on launch day but after 3 weeks with it, I swapped it for an Evo. I think that Samsung has a good foundation for a really superior phone with the Epic but there were just too many small things that bothered me (but could be non-issues for others).

- Battery life was horrible for me. It would drop 10%/hr from just sitting there. Battery life improved after a hard reset but then the update broke that. Did two more hard resets, updated PRL, and used Advanced Task Killer but still very poor battery life. I bought a second OEM battery also but that one didn't last any longer.
- Build quality. I'm coming from a Touch Pro2 and while I didn't expect the Epic to be built like that, it did feel too "plasticy" and hollow to me, like it wouldn't make it through a year. The slider was also nice and tight when I got it on launch day but after 3 weeks of heavy use, it understandably loosened up but still, I didn't like that. My TP2 never loosened up the way the Epic did, stayed nice and tight.
- Buttons. I hated where the power button was placed on the side and how everytime I pushed it, I unintentionally opened the slider a bit. I adjusted the way I held the phone (haha, I made fun of my iphone friends for this, never thought I'd be in the same boat) so that my fingers would grip the bottom half of the slider instead of the top half so that I wouldn't open the slider when pusing the power button. And while this worked, I was never satisfied with the solution simply because the Epic is so thin, gripping it on the bottom half of the slider when pushing the power button doesn't provide much surface area to get a grip that is sturdy enough for my liking. Therefore, I constantly felt like I might drop the Epic when I went to push the power button due to the way I was gripping it to avoid opening the slider. And any time I did want to open the slider, again, because the Epic is so thin, I felt I had to be extremely careful to align my fingers precisely on the right places on the Epic otherwise if I didn't, I might lose my grip and drop it. I know, I can't have a thin phone and have it both ways though. Also, the capacitive buttons just weren't that responsive for me (and yes, I adjusted the keyboard timeout to match the screen timeout). I would say the Epic registered my key presses 80% of the time, which isn't bad but not exactly acceptable in my book.
- Software. Touchwiz felt very much like an unfinished product to me (especially compared to HTC Sense). The Samsung widgets weren't very impressive either and while I know I could have simply installed Launcher Pro, I didn't want to be running two launchers simultaneously. Email app was a joke and therefore had to use two separate apps to cover my email needs (Touchdown for Exchange and K-9 for my IMAP accounts). Didn't care for the Android stock music player either (why didn't Samsung include their own version?). Also, setting ringtones was a pain. I use hosted Exchange for email/contacts/calendar but in order to set individual ringtones for specific contacts (without the help of a 3rd party app), the contact has to be in your Gmail contacts. So I had to import my contacts into gmail, sync them to to the phone, assign the individual ringtones, then hide the gmail contacts from being displayed so I wouldn't have duplicates. Not a very sound approach IMO. Sense doesn't require any of that. Just open the hosted Exchange contact and set the ringtone. Simple. Overall, the Samsung software felt very beta to me (and somewhat cartoonish) and that Samsung hadn't taken the time to consider the 'small things' like HTC does in Sense IMO.
- Did not like how the microUSB port was on the top making for a sideways placement when on the Samsung cradle. This meant that when sitting in the cradle, the home screen was unrotated (stayed in portrait mode) or if I used the media dock app, it indeed would give me a landscape view with the clock and those various icons on the button, none of which I found useful. Would have much preferred to either be able to customize the dock app with my own icons or simply display one of the Touchwiz home screens in landscape view without the keyboard open.
- Something I did like was the keyboard. QWERTY keyboard phones I've owned include the Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Samsung i730, PPC-6700, PPC-6800, Touch Pro, and the Touch Pro2 and I thought the Epic's was the best. I picked it up and was immediately faster on it than with any of the other keyboards.
- Screen is gorgeous. I don't think anything more needs to be said about that.
- Sasmsung's version of the drop-down bar with the radio controlls stickied at the top I thought was a nice touch vs the Evo that lacks that.
- The Epic was/is FAST and responsive! So is the Evo but the Epic edges is out by just a little in this case.
- I liked on the Epic how you could drag the circle on the lock screen downwards to gain immediate access to unread messages. Evo doesn't have that as far as I can tell.

Now on to the Evo:
- As previously mentioned, I think the version of HTC Sense that is on the Evo is just outstanding (especially when compared to Touchwiz) IMO. Its obvious HTC put a lot of thought into it. The widgets, email app, music player (which you can control from the lock screen), etc, it all just flows together really nicely for a seamless experience IMO. Of the 7 home screens on the Epic, I used only 4 of them as I felt there just weren't enough compelling widgets from Sasmung to fill them all up. With the Evo, I have filled up all 7 home screens with HTC widgets and actually wish I had a few more home screens to put more widgets.
- Froyo. Yes, the Epic will get that too eventually but its really nice to have it now. Being able to view flash content inline in the browser, I am just finding that so useful.
- While clearly not as vibrant as the Epic's screen, I am really enjoying the extra 0.3" on the Evo. It may not seem like much but for whatever reason, it just makes the experience that much better for me.
- Battery life is improved compared to the Epic (at least for me). I can now make it through a 12 hour day with moderate to heavy usage.
- Kickstand. I didn't realize how much I was going to use this. A really nice touch by HTC.
- Virtual landscape keboard. This was my biggest concern from switching from the Epic. As previously mentioned, I have owned several qwerty keyboard phones and consider that a requirement for any new phone I may purchase. However, after a few minutes with the Evo, I realized I had nothing to worry about. The landscape virtual keyboard is so big, typing on it is a breeze. Getting faster on it every day and starting to approach the typing speed I had with the Epic.
- Evo feels more "boxy" than the Epic. The Epic, while I was not a fan of its build quality, shape-wise, did feel like a phone. Evo feels more like a PDA and while its not a deal-breaker, I wish it felt more like the Epic. I do like the slightly increased weight of the Evo though. Gives it a more solid feel IMO compared to the Epic (I realize though that's more personal preference as some people understandably want their phone as light as possible).
- 4G takes a few seconds longer to connect on the Evo. I also liked that after you turned on 4G on the Epic, it would tell you wether or not it connected. Evo does not tell you this, you have to see if you have a 4G icon or not in the status bar.

I agree with all these points, but would like to add that the frame rate on the Evo is now officially uncapped and supposedly an HDMI mirroring feature is to come soon (don't trust me on this one too much though).

vincey2kr1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Marty did a good job of describing the evo. I returned my epic yesterday and everything just WOrKS! Gps is near instant, compass works, I can receive pictures while on wifi, my upload speeds are 500kb+, but the biggest compliment is the cell phone reception! I was constantly dropping signal at work on a weak signal and the evo just stays connected! Seeing flash on websites is just a bonus:)