Who's planning to exchange their Epic?

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Isn't it great to have two good choices that allows personal taste versus none?
I came from Pre, tried Evo (when I found one), hubby wanted, so gave to him and got Epic.
I love the Epic, it feels like a phone. Even though its just slightly thicker, it doesn't feel as large, fits better in hand, and I was worried about size of both.
I have had none of the issues above, so this is a good thing.
I have tested opening apps, etc., on both. My Epic beats the Evo in speed, about the same in battery (use JuiceDefender) and both make it thru day.

LOVE the screen, even like Touchwiz. LOVE Swype. I have rooted but not changed roms on either till we learn the full capacities of each.

I'm keeping mine, just playing with my Pre that I'm selling, and can't believe the difference in speed and screen. I thought I would miss it, but I'm not. Every once in a while I try to swipe a screen, but I'm over that.

chenDawg

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from the Evo and just ordered my Epic last night from ebay.

Eagerly awaiting the chance to play with it because I kind of see it as the better 'multimedia device'.

The combination of screen, gpu, and keyboard make this phone for me considering I plan to run a lot of emulators and games.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Goodbye Samsung Epic 4g, you will forever be missed. The good phone has finally entered the heavens of the Sprint storage room and the new Evo will be arriving on Sunday at noon.

I'm coming from the Evo and just ordered my Epic last night from ebay.

Eagerly awaiting the chance to play with it because I kind of see it as the better 'multimedia device'.

The combination of screen, gpu, and keyboard make this phone for me considering I plan to run a lot of emulators and games.

Wait, did you try the Evo post-update by any chance? If so, how was the gaming?

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of returning my evo for the epic, I miss the keyboard.

Htc removed 30 fps cap, my evo is rooted and perfect (can and will unroot if needed)

Anyone in the san diego area wanna do a flat trade? I haven't even dropped my baby yet, I have swype on it, and theres no problems. Just sayin' ;)

I'll take that as a no. Lol.

I'll probably stick with my evo for a full year, besides, who knows what will be available at that time. I still want a keyboard though, i didnt think id miss it this much, but i do. Swype will quench my thirst for now i suppose.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'll take that as a no. Lol.

I'll probably stick with my evo for a full year, besides, who knows what will be available at that time. I still want a keyboard though, i didnt think id miss it this much, but i do. Swype will quench my thirst for now i suppose.

The keyboard is not as snappy as other keyboard phones. Not trashing the Epic in anyway as I do have one with me (and I'm a freaking mod of this forum also!), but just giving you a heads up that it's definitely not the same experience IMO.

anon4757448

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm keeping this one! I don't have any problems with my Epic. Yes, the battery could be better but I didnt realize that until yesterday when I called myself testing the battery. I wanted to see what the heavy users were talking about. I used the internet, Facebook, tweeted, and listened to music for about 2 hours...on 4g! I stopped and went back to my normal usage...left 4g on. The phone lasted a little over 8 hours (plugged it in at 4%).

So, I don't know if I'm gonna exchange it. I'm not a heavy user, and before yesterday I could get through the whole day (12 hours +/-) without recharging. The one thing I don't like is taking my charger with me to work. I spend about half my time in the field and can't always charge it.

Maybe I'll stop by the Sprint store today...

drjonesok

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm keeping it. Sprint did screw up a lot of things but overall this is the fastest phone I've ever seen, the screen is badass, and the keyboard rules for playing snes roms.

I have a feeling once they fix the 3g upload, battery life will get a lot better. Something is wrong with the radio software and fixing that should improve it's efficiency. Right now I use juice defender and have wifi at work and home so my battery life is actually good.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The keyboard is not as snappy as other keyboard phones. Not trashing the Epic in anyway as I do have one with me (and I'm a freaking mod of this forum also!), but just giving you a heads up that it's definitely not the same experience IMO.

Really? I tested it out in the sprint shop and it was fine to me, but I'll take your word for it as I got to hold it for 5 minutes and you live with it haha

grant3d

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Id have to agree with most of the points made here. Theres just a bunch of small things that make me unsatisfied with the epic. Believe it or not, the half-*** notification light has become the biggest dealbreaker for me over the past few weeks. The physical keyboard is great in design but not so great in function. It tends to not register letters when I type "fast". Which brings me to another annoying discovery, I am faster on the evo in landscape. The build quality is mediocre also. The two halves slide around when handling the phone and it feels so hollow overall. Especially when the phone vibrates, you can hear how hollow it is. The evo isnt much better with its screen seperation and light leakage but at least it feels solid.

I know I am picky but I dont think its wrong to expect top of the line quality from a product I use everyday. In the end I think ive decided to go back to the evo again or possibly try a Droid X on verizon. I hear nothing but good things about the build quality and battery life.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Now that I've conditioned that battery and have confidence to leave my charger at home I have no complaints about the Epic. However, where I live Sprint's signal sucks _ss and I frequently find myself without 3G,let alone 4g and sometimes no signal at all. That's simply unacceptable in a high population area where I live and I have 10 days to decide what to do. There simply arent great alternatives on the other networks.

ThomasT626

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm keeping the Epic and recently ported my Verizon number to the Epic. I've constantly been going back and forth trying to decide what to do, but the overall value of Sprint's plan and the plethora of features on the Epic pushed me over the edge. My dad also has the Evo, another great phone, but I'm sticking with Epic and its beautiful screen and fantastic keyboard. Sprint's network and customer service has also been good to me since the start, so I feel it's a good decision.

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
sadly I think I am going to see if I can pick up an evo tomorrow. I really don't use the slide out keyboard... and the battery life issues are absolutely horrible. that with the GPS issues, which honestly I don't think will ever be fixed because if it could... it would be fixed by now. The captivate just got an update which was suposidly going to fix the GPS problem and it didn't do anything. I am going to stick with the EVO for a year and see what comes out.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Id have to agree with most of the points made here. Theres just a bunch of small things that make me unsatisfied with the epic. Believe it or not, the half-*** notification light has become the biggest dealbreaker for me over the past few weeks. The physical keyboard is great in design but not so great in function. It tends to not register letters when I type "fast". Which brings me to another annoying discovery, I am faster on the evo in landscape. The build quality is mediocre also. The two halves slide around when handling the phone and it feels so hollow overall. Especially when the phone vibrates, you can hear how hollow it is. The evo isnt much better with its screen seperation and light leakage but at least it feels solid.

I know I am picky but I dont think its wrong to expect top of the line quality from a product I use everyday. In the end I think ive decided to go back to the evo again or possibly try a Droid X on verizon. I hear nothing but good things about the build quality and battery life.

Light leakage isn't even noticeable in most cases, I can only tell in complete darkness and as for screen separation-few and far between. Htc doesn't skimp on build quality.

symplistik

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm out of my 30 day window. Of course, I could always sell my Epic and go with something else but i'm NOT. Why? Because I absolutely LOVE my Epic!

I have to admit though, at first, I wasn't too sure about it. Coming from a Blackberry, I just felt an urge to go back to it. It was sorta like I was going through "Blackberry withdrawals". Lol. Definitely not fun. But with time, my Epic has grown on me. I love the screen, internet browsing, and how fast the phone is. I can never get that out of a Blackberry.

Most of all, I love Android! The apps are just amazing. Not to mention most of them are FREE. One thing I have noticed is how people say the Epic feels "cheap" but even so, it doesn't seem like it's having nearly as many physical problems as the Evo has. The Evo has had hairline cracks, screen separation, leakage, etc. I've hardly seen anyone complain about these issues with the Epic. And if so, it isn't nearly as widespreed as the physical problems that the Evo has. Nonetheless, i'm definitely not bashing the Evo. I had one of those for 30 days as well and I loved it. Especially the widgets. One thing that I didn't like about the Evo is the fact that it didn't have a dedicated camera button. I could never get used to using the camera due to that specific problem. The Epic has solved that problem.

Just like others here, i've had problems with my battery life too. I exchanged batteries at Radio Shack and that helped alot but last night, I installed Juice Defender and so far, i've gotten 11 hours out of my phone with moderate usage (a couple of pictures, tweeting, browsing online ...). So if you haven't tried that yet, do so. It just may help. :D

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Now that I've conditioned that battery and have confidence to leave my charger at home I have no complaints about the Epic. However, where I live Sprint's signal sucks _ss and I frequently find myself without 3G,let alone 4g and sometimes no signal at all. That's simply unacceptable in a high population area where I live and I have 10 days to decide what to do. There simply arent great alternatives on the other networks.

The whole point of buying a phone you like is being able to use it, no matter which network you're on. If you're having issues with weak signal, you're most likely going to have a similar issue with any Sprint phone you're on if Sprin't coverage is weak in your area.

If I were in your shoes (and I have been), I'd look into who has the best usable netowork in your area and go with an offering from that provider since there's no sense in paying for a service you can only use some of the time...

Where I'm at, Verizon and Sprint are dead equal in coverage and service so I went with Sprint a good while back since I couldn't see paying more and getting the same.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm out of my 30 day window. Of course, I could always sell my Epic and go with something else but i'm NOT. Why? Because I absolutely LOVE my Epic!

I have to admit though, at first, I wasn't too sure about it. Coming from a Blackberry, I just felt an urge to go back to it. It was sorta like I was going through "Blackberry withdrawals". Lol. Definitely not fun. But with time, my Epic has grown on me. I love the screen, internet browsing, and how fast the phone is. I can never get that out of a Blackberry.

Most of all, I love Android! The apps are just amazing. Not to mention most of them are FREE. One thing I have noticed is how people say the Epic feels "cheap" but even so, it doesn't seem like it's having nearly as many physical problems as the Evo has. The Evo has had hairline cracks, screen separation, leakage, etc. I've hardly seen anyone complain about these issues with the Epic. And if so, it isn't nearly as widespreed as the physical problems that the Evo has. Nonetheless, i'm definitely not bashing the Evo. I had one of those for 30 days as well and I loved it. Especially the widgets. One thing that I didn't like about the Evo is the fact that it didn't have a dedicated camera button. I could never get used to using the camera due to that specific problem. The Epic has solved that problem.

Just like others here, i've had problems with my battery life too. I exchanged batteries at Radio Shack and that helped alot but last night, I installed Juice Defender and so far, i've gotten 11 hours out of my phone with moderate usage (a couple of pictures, tweeting, browsing online ...). So if you haven't tried that yet, do so. It just may help. :D

Hold on, how the heck are you out of your 30 day window already? It's the 26th and the phone only came out August 31st! 0_o?

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

So am I to assume that according to that logic being a mod of a particular forum makes you an automatic fanboy of the subject phone? :cool: j/k

And my answer is that I'm keeping, definitely... there are tons of things I haven't unlocked with the phone and I love the fact that it's great for me as an Android n00B to learn the ins and outs...

bfguns

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
swapped out my epic. this is the third one. Amazingly, i had wait for the sprint rep to call their store manager. the capacitive buttons weren't as responsive as they should be. out of 10 taps, it only registered 6 or 7 taps.

is there anywhere to compare battery build dates and hardware versions? I found a topic here but it hasn't been touched in over 2 weeks.

Thxs!
a happy epic user. :)

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, the capacities buttons are almost too responsive on the Evo. Anyone with a golden Epic should appreciate theirs because the capacities buttons should be just the right sensitivity.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4g