Who's planning to exchange their Epic?

symplistik

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Hold on, how the heck are you out of your 30 day window already? It's the 26th and the phone only came out August 31st! 0_o?

I'm just now seeing this. Lol. Anywho, I got my phone from Radio Shack. First, I had the Evo which I got on the 6th of August. I kept that until the Epic came out on the 31st and I did an exchange. So with that being said, i'm out of my 30 day window. Too my understanding, when you make an exchange, the 30 days doesn't start over.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm just now seeing this. Lol. Anywho, I got my phone from Radio Shack. First, I had the Evo which I got on the 6th of August. I kept that until the Epic came out on the 31st and I did an exchange. So with that being said, i'm out of my 30 day window. Too my understanding, when you make an exchange, the 30 days doesn't start over.

Right, and that's why I cancelled my contract and restarted it so I get a fresh 30 days with my new Evo. That actually makes sense now :)

FallNAngel

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Right, and that's why I cancelled my contract and restarted it so I get a fresh 30 days with my new Evo. That actually makes sense now :)

Hmm... if you cancel and sign back up before 60 days have passed you get another 30 day trial? or did you get a new trial because you went with the Evo?

I had originally dropped my Sprint contract with ~12-15 days left or so and stayed with my Nexus @ TMo. If I can squeeze a bit more life out of the Epic, I'd rather stay with it. Don't want to sign up and have < 15 days left to try it though.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... if you cancel and sign back up before 60 days have passed you get another 30 day trial? or did you get a new trial because you went with the Evo?

I had originally dropped my Sprint contract with ~12-15 days left or so and stayed with my Nexus @ TMo. If I can squeeze a bit more life out of the Epic, I'd rather stay with it. Don't want to sign up and have < 15 days left to try it though.

Yep, a full 30 days again. Honestly though, I don't think you could abuse it though. For example, get an Epic, cancel within 30 days, resign a contract, repeat. If you do want to go to another phone, you do have the option of canceling, or in my case, that's the only option.

BushLeague

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Switched both my epics to the Evos. While the hardware is spectacular, touchwiz leaves too much to be desired. I simply can not wait for Samsung to fix all of these issues. Which would take months with their track record. I'm only planning to keep the Evos for 12 months and since it has a polished overlay/UI, it makes the experience so much better. With the huge development community along with the possibility of the new sense being released to the Evo, it made my choice so much easier.

That said, I hope Samsung keep their word and fix all the issues that have been identified instead of releasing half @ssed fixes they've been doing for the Galaxy S line. It would be a shame if the guys who are sticking it out gets shafted again.

Jmho.

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I decided to keep my epic even thought I debated trading it in for an evo. It was a hard decision... but I think when 2.2 comes out it will be will worth it. I have a feeling that samsung is going to be trying extremely hard to make this product perfect to overcome their previous track record. If they screw this up I don't think anyone will buy another smart phone from them again... At least I know I won't.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
May I ask why you left the epic for the evo? Not loaded or anything just curious as you seemed like me sure hyped and excitd before and after release.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I decided to keep my epic even thought I debated trading it in for an evo. It was a hard decision... but I think when 2.2 comes out it will be will worth it. I have a feeling that samsung is going to be trying extremely hard to make this product perfect to overcome their previous track record. If they screw this up I don't think anyone will buy another smart phone from them again... At least I know I won't.

I think youre right. I for one will not further support samsung if they dont start shaping up. The moment was a great phone but still had quite a few issues. The epic is a great phone too but requires some polishing out to be better and on par with being the most expensive smartphone out now. If the epic went for $199 I wouldnt be worried, but the extra $50 (while not huge) puts it up into another class. Wile I hope 2.2 will solve everything, I know it wont. If by 3.0 they havent solved the main concerns and issues then I will move on.

FallNAngel

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Yep, a full 30 days again. Honestly though, I don't think you could abuse it though. For example, get an Epic, cancel within 30 days, resign a contract, repeat. If you do want to go to another phone, you do have the option of canceling, or in my case, that's the only option.

Hmm... in that case, I may try Sprint again. I could deal with any minor signal issues and not often being in a 4G area wasn't the worst thing. The worst thing was definitely the battery life though (and I did not have the update); I'd surf the web on the phone for ~1 hour and pretty much go from full to empty. With the thread that's been created that something is draining the battery that isn't supposed to, it gives some hope that the battery life isn't just *bad*, the phone just has a problem that will (hopefully) be fixed and battery life will improve.

Of course, there's the Epic vs Evo question, though the screen and CPU/GPU on the Epic is hard to pass up.

bevorules

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I have decided to KEEP my Epic.

It's been a fun month with the Epic, despite all of the issues we've been having. I have been thinking about trading it in for an Evo, and today I went to Best Buy to check out the Evo. There were none in stock at the location I visited, but the guy at the counter showed me his. I like the Evo's Sense interface, but the first thing I noticed is that the screen looks really washed out compared to Samsung's Super AMOLED. Yes, the Epic's screen really is that much better to me -- some people think the LCD's are more natural, but the AMOLED has that extra 'wow' factor.

Plus, as of late I have been using the keyboard a lot more. Swype is nice, especially on the Samsung screen, but the keyboard still wins for long messages.

Finally, when I got back, the front page story on AC reveals that there's an update for the Epic coming tomorrow for the upload issues!

I'm also really impressed with Sprint's network. I have used them for 10 years with flip phones (the Epic's my first smartphone), and their coverage is pretty good. I was pleased to find that their 3G network provides good coverage and speed. The 4G is a bit spotty, but it's great when you get it. I was at the Texas-UCLA game last Saturday in Austin. Since the game wasn't going my way, I decided to play with the phone a little bit. I heard iPhone users whining about their data not working, and my brother's AT&T Blackberry was dead in the water too. However, my Sprint 4G was perfect -- probably because not too many people use it yet.

BUT -- in order to make the Epic work correctly, I have had to do all kinds of crazy workarounds, which I have learned about through this great forum. Every morning, I toggle airplane mode and stop the DRM service to save battery life. A few days ago, I also set the GPS to cold start every time for a quick lock. I'm a computer engineer, so I'm familiar with concepts such as root access, background services, and uninitialized variables/registers. I'm OK with the workarounds, but someone who has less experience with technology would be puzzled by all that we've had to do to get this thing working right. Samsung is a great hardware company, especially for displays. I also own a Samsung TV. However, I'm not quite as confident in the abilities of their software engineers -- or maybe management just forced them to rush the device out the door.

Thus, I'm not sure if I'd recommend the Epic to a person who is not as experienced with technology just yet. That will change if Samsung/Sprint bring us some updates as promised, and from the looks of things Sprint is paying attention to the forums. Also, I'll probably never buy a device on launch day again. I'd rather wait to see what issues pop up, and which ones get resolved. Normally I do wait, but I was sick of my flip phone.

By the way -- if you are thinking about exchanging, TOMORROW (Sept. 30) is the deadline if you bought the Epic on launch day. I confirmed this with the Best Buy cell phone department.

Prince_Basil

May 1, 2010
princebasil.net
I'm going to exchange my Epic for another one because this one is giving me issues with the keyboard. is there anything I should do before hand? I backed up all my apps with Astro & AppBrain. Everything is on the sd card. Will they let me keep this sd card if I get a new phone? Like trade out the sd cards so I keep my files? I got my phone at best buy so I'm just worried. I've always gotten my phones from Sprint directly so I'm not sure what to expect.

scottkoblitz

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
I just have this stupid facebook problem? I'm logged in on the facebook app and all is working great but the news feeds thing won't let me add facebook to it as an acct? It says I have to log in and when I do it fails to log in every time? I somehow got it to work once after a hard reset but the session expired and now I can'tlog in again? IDK if it's a problem on the facebook end or there's a conflict between facebook and droid or if I just got a bad phone? I've heard a few others with this same problem.

messiah143

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Me and my wife love our Epic 4G's. I'm satisfied with the performance of this phone and I'm happy that Samsung is coming out with frequent updates with this phone only being out a little over a month. Maybe when Froyo 2.2 and some more roms come out for this awesome phone it will be a lot better.

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to exchange my Epic for another one because this one is giving me issues with the keyboard. is there anything I should do before hand? I backed up all my apps with Astro & AppBrain. Everything is on the sd card. Will they let me keep this sd card if I get a new phone? Like trade out the sd cards so I keep my files? I got my phone at best buy so I'm just worried. I've always gotten my phones from Sprint directly so I'm not sure what to expect.

When I exchanged mine they let me keep the sd card (purchased at radioshack)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000