Extremely slow battery charging on Nexus 5 after updating to lollipop

Jim Koepp

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
My nexus 5 does not chime when it is set andy wireless charger. It does not recognise or communicate wiki wireless charger ever since i installed lollipop ota. The problem is not my wireless charging mat because it still works fine with my nexus 7 running kitkat

Posted via Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My nexus 5 does not chime when it is set andy wireless charger. It does not recognise or communicate wiki wireless charger ever since i installed lollipop ota. The problem is not my wireless charging mat because it still works fine with my nexus 7 running kitkat

Posted via Android Central App

I have none of these problems with my N5. All of my charging methods function normally, including wireless.

Do you have any battery management apps installed? Other system utilities?

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I have none of these problems with my N5. All of my charging methods function normally, including wireless.

Do you have any battery management apps installed? Other system utilities?

Just curious, N4Newbie, did you update via OTA or did you flash the factory image? I did the latter and haven't run into any issue with Lollipop on my Nexus 5, either. I'm wondering if the OTA update process could be part of the culprit.

twistedfates

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried charging it from the wall and from a USB3.0 port on my rig. Using the same cable I have always been using. It charged 1% in half hour. In fact, it says on the phone 19 hours to charge fully from 37%. Jeezus.

MP Note4_Nexus5

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I've always charged from my laptop when I'm in the house because I have it with me at a table, couch etc. It's plenty fast enough for me. And much, much, much faster than it is currently.

Now of course it's stuck at 60%.

EDIT- now at 61% after 20+ mins

EDIT- 26 mins later and at 64%

Mine dis that tto and it was tiking and the screen was flashing sometimes. I change to the original charger (wall with no USB) and all is fine now!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, N4Newbie, did you update via OTA or did you flash the factory image? I did the latter and haven't run into any issue with Lollipop on my Nexus 5, either. I'm wondering if the OTA update process could be part of the culprit.

I flashed the factory image.

sapphireice

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing. Just updated my Nexus 5 to Lollipop OTA and I've noticed that battery charging is much slower (I too tend to charge via USB as I'm at my PC most of the day, and the cable isn't long enough to reach the nearest power socket).

Footstomp

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 5 charges extremly slow aswell. I've got 33% and the projected time for fully charged is 11 hours (!!!) I use the original charger connected to a wall socket.

I've not modified the phone in any way, and updated the phone by clicking the notice in the phone (i dont know what you call that update process..)

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
After being updating my Nexus 5 OS to Loli Pop there is an error in my phone. I receive the call and the phone is also ringing but display is not coming when the phone is lock. When I press the lock key than I am able to see the caller details.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 5 charges extremly slow aswell. I've got 33% and the projected time for fully charged is 11 hours (!!!) I use the original charger connected to a wall socket.

I've not modified the phone in any way, and updated the phone by clicking the notice in the phone (i dont know what you call that update process..)

So it does seem like people who updated via OTA are having slow battery charging issues. I wonder what the difference may be between the two processes (OTA vs manual flash) that can cause problems like this?

RED-i

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I installed via OTA, and my charging seems fine. I'm using the 1.2A charger and am currently at 24%, saying just over 2 hours to fully charge.

my battery life on the other hand doesn't really seem all that much better than it was on kitkat.

Footstomp

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I charged my phone for the main part of the work hours, total time ~7h. I got the battery from 0% to 41% charged. I used the phone normally after that. About 3 hours later the battery was down to 15%. My phone is pretty much useless at this time!!!

I guess it obvious to most, but just to be clear. If the phone is turned off, it charges at normal speed. So it's nothing wrong with the charger itself.

K Paddy

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Problem may not be with charging, rather battery leaking, making the charging look bad.

For OTA on my phone,the numbers make sense.
  • on USB 3.0, the time to fully charge from 0% is shown as 3 hours​
  • on USB 2.0, it shows as 6 hours (2300/500 = ~5 hours)​

During charging, the moment I start using phone, it charges much-much slower than that before update.

See my battery discharge pattern.
Screenshot_2014-11-20-15-38-52.jpg

1. When screen is on, battery drains heavily.​
  2. During night, almost no battery discharge, an improvement.​
  3. Wi-fi is shown on throughout the duration, it was turned on only during night. But breakup shows wi-fi takes only 6% of battery, so that should be ok​
  4. Before update, breakup reported screen as taking most battery, now it is around 20%, same as Chrome (I used browser heavily)​

smallbrains

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I forced OTA update the other day. Only bug so far is fast battery drain when using WiFi. No problems charging, seems to charge a little faster than before.

Posted via the Android Central App

hiperlouro

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Me too!

I've upgraded to 5.0 yesterday via OTA and since then I've been experiencing problems with recharging the battery!
In 3h the battery got from 0 to 40% using the charger provided with the phone.

I've tried the factory reset as google support indicated, but it seems to be the same!

Anyone has a solution for this problem?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I strongly suspect there are a number of incompatible apps out there which are responsible for these problems.

One thing I would like to know of you folks having "charging" issues, do you have Play Store configured to automatically install app updates? If not, I would expect all sorts of problems with a new OS.