Galaxy Note 5 still having RAM management issues???

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not necessarily a flaw. The note and edge+ have mitigated the problem with more ram.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Maybe not a "flaw" but it sure feels like Samsung rushed the Note 5 to the market before the engineers had time to work out these issues. (just like they did with the S-Pen) Some suggested that they wanted to beat Apple's release of the new iPhone 6S and 6S Plus... but I don't see the point... people who buy those phones will just wait for them.

It's not like the RAM problem is new. The Note 4 also has it. In the Note 5, it's only "slightly"
better, but still a problem nonetheless.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Maybe not a "flaw" but it sure feels like Samsung rushed the Note 5 to the market before the engineers had time to work out these issues. (just like they did with the S-Pen) Some suggested that they wanted to beat Apple's release of the new iPhone 6S and 6S Plus... but I don't see the point... people who buy those phones will just wait for them.

It's not like the RAM problem is new. The Note 4 also has it. In the Note 5, it's only "slightly"
better, but still a problem nonetheless.
The fact those other phones also have this issue shows is not a problem with this phone being rushed. Maybe Samsung knows something we don't? Given how well the nexus 6 performs with 3 gigs ram it is a mystery.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Given how well the nexus 6 performs with 3 gigs ram it is a mystery.

was just about to say that.... perhaps Nexus 6 doesn't have this flaw because it's a Google phone? :)

Galaxy Note 5 score so far:

No MicroSDXC card slot = strike 1
No removable battery = strike 2
S-pen can be stuck = strike 3
RAM management issue = umpire throws it out of the ballpark? :D :D :D

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Who the hell cares, in my day to day use from launch day till now, it's been perfectly fine and haven't seen any reloading issues affect my workflow. Feels like any other Android phone in this regard.

Only thing surprising with the Note 5 is how smoothly it is still running even after 2 weeks, S6 was smooth to start with and quickly saw stuttering, lag and had to sell it after being fed up with it. But the Note 5 is not having any such problems which is nice. I set high standards and can't take stutters, lag in software and so far Note 5 has not disappointed. Have to see how long this holds true.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
was just about to say that.... perhaps Nexus 6 doesn't have this flaw because it's a Google phone? :)

Galaxy Note 5 score so far:

No MicroSDXC card slot = strike 1
No removable battery = strike 2
S-pen can be stuck = strike 3
RAM management issue = umpire throws it out of the ballpark? :D :D :D

Do you own a Note 5?

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Do you own a Note 5?
no, but I've been using one for almost a week. :) my friend let me borrow his new Note 5 for a couple of days, but then he had to suddenly to to New Zealand for business... so I had no way of returning it to him. :) I've been putting it through video torture test, such as nonstop playback of raw Blu-ray M2TS videos to see how long the battery would last...(unfortunately only 2 and half hours, even at 50% brightness.... which is 23 minutes less than on my Note 4)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
no, but I've been using one for almost a week. :) my friend let me borrow his new Note 5 for a couple of days, but then he had to suddenly to to New Zealand for business... so I had no way of returning it to him. :) I've been putting it through video torture test, such as nonstop playback of raw Blu-ray M2TS videos to see how long the battery would last...(unfortunately only 2 and half hours, even at 50% brightness.... which is 23 minutes less than on my Note 4)

Smaller battery and only last 23 minutes less. Also the screen is much better and I keep my Note 5 even lower brightness than my Note 4.

So, doesn't sound like it is the horrible phone some are trying to say it is.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I really think Android manufacturers need to stop messing with all these things. Samsung and Motorola tweaking RAM management settings and making it too aggressive is a pain in the arse.
I don't own Samung but my Moto's aggressive minfree settings kick apps out of memory once free ram reaches 150mb available out of total 1gb.
Motorola also reserves extra 110mb ram which apps cannot use so actual usable ram is 1000-(150-110)=750mb ram only in 1gb devices.
Out of this android eats about 400mb so actual available ram for apps to use is about 350mb means barely 3-4 apps before kicking out of memory begins.
But this is kind of understandable in a low ram phone but Note 5 starts kicking apps at 2gb ram mark is far too aggressive.
This means the extra money that you paid for a 4gb ram phone is going to complete waste. Basically Note 5 acts like a 2gb ram device. 2gb ram for a flagship phone in 2015 is just inexcusable.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I really think Android manufacturers need to stop messing with all these things. Samsung and Motorola tweaking RAM management settings and making it too aggressive is a pain in the arse.
I don't own Samung but my Moto's aggressive minfree settings kick apps out of memory once free ram reaches 150mb available out of total 1gb.
Motorola also reserves extra 110mb ram which apps cannot use so actual usable ram is 1000-(150-110)=750mb ram only in 1gb devices.
Out of this android eats about 400mb so actual available ram for apps to use is about 350mb means barely 3-4 apps before kicking out of memory begins.
But this is kind of understandable in a low ram phone but Note 5 starts kicking apps at 2gb ram mark is far too aggressive.
This means the extra money that you paid for a 4gb ram phone is going to complete waste. Basically Note 5 acts like a 2gb ram device. 2gb ram for a flagship phone in 2015 is just inexcusable.

I'm pretty sure it is much more complex then this and samsung knows some things about their hardware and how to achiever maximum performance that you and I don't.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
after 2 weeks, S6 was smooth to start with and quickly saw stuttering, lag and had to sell it after being fed up with it.

I totally agree. I really liked the s6 and was willing to move to a smaller phone but when I saw how laggy it got compared to my nexus 6 which the same amount of memory I returned it. I'm now on an edge+ which is basically the same phone but without the lag. Why? I have to guess the extra gig of ram but who knows. Samsung screwed up the s6 with that agressive memory management or with some other flaw in their design that forces them to be aggressive with how they handle memory. Maybe it the quick launch of the camera that forces lots of stuff to stay in memory at all times. If thats the case the s6 should have shipped with 4gigs or ram.

jsu1222

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
That is a very inaccurate post. On some phones the pages will reload even if you re-open them from the recent apps menu. The problem is sporadic and not isolated to any one of the new devices. For example: my S6 edge had the problem, so did my regular s6.... However my active variant did not. So far my note 5 doesn't have the issue either but I've seen others that do... My wife's s6 edge plus does have the problem... I've been dealing with the RAM management issue on these new galaxy s models since their release... It's beyond frustrating... But.... Back to my point... The problem does exist in the recent apps menu as well...

Posted via the Android Central App

tmp3150

Banned
Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Who the hell cares, in my day to day use from launch day till now, it's been perfectly fine and haven't seen any reloading issues affect my workflow. Feels like any other Android phone in this regard.

Only thing surprising with the Note 5 is how smoothly it is still running even after 2 weeks, S6 was smooth to start with and quickly saw stuttering, lag and had to sell it after being fed up with it. But the Note 5 is not having any such problems which is nice. I set high standards and can't take stutters, lag in software and so far Note 5 has not disappointed. Have to see how long this holds true.

I have to agree. I'm not seeing any ram issues. My Note 5 is very responsive and without lag.

Posted via the Android Central App using the AT&T Note 5, 64GB

laool fu

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
So, I came across this video of a speed test between a Note 5, OnePlus Two and LG G4.

Without spoiling it too much, the Note 5 did what the S6 did and reloaded some apps right from the beginning whilst other phones kept the same apps in memory.

Can anyone with the Note 5 attempt to replicate this and see if the issue persists after a while? Because this isn't pretty. A real-world test would also be appreciated.

I'll be doing the same when I get to test out the Note 5.

It's not a problem. Samsung forces shutdown when there are 7apps running or 2.5gb ram being used to save battery and better performance with whatever you're doing at the moment.
People complain but who the F is going to leave 7+ apps open at a time using 3gb ram... Good luck with battery buddy.