WiFi keeps turning itself on and off, constantly.

Daoud333

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Ok. I found the app responsible of this global issue !

It's "Google play services" version 10.0.84 !

I returned to previous version (with titanium backup) 9.8.77 and the issue gone immediately ...

Claytan K

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Well, here's what solved it for me (I have a galaxy s5 by the way).

1. Go settings ==> connections ==> Location (turn on location if it isn't already, of course) ===> "Improve accuracy" and turn on "Wi-Fi scanning" to initiate the bug process.
  2. Then go back to Location, and, in the list of apps under "Recent location requests", tap one and go to "Permissions" and disable the "Location" permission for each one, one a time (IMPORTANT).
  3. If after disabling the location permission of one of the apps it doesn't fix the problem (check the wifi connection behavior), move on to disable location permission for the next app on the list ("Recent location requests"). Eventually, after disabling the location permission of the glitchy app, the bug will stop

For me it was the T-Mobile app so I simply left it with permission disabled. I kind of had a feeling that Android would not let any of their apps or other big Play Store apps get away with this kind of huge glitch. I honestly wish I could uninstall T-Mobile app since I never use it and it kind of sucks but ah well, don't wanna root my phone for now.

Anyways, hope this helps.

This is what worked for me. I was in so much distress over this, it turned out being Google play services that was itself requesting location repeatedly, now there is many apps that go through Google play services to request location but I had used the app greenify to force stop almost all of my applications so I was at a loss by this point. What I did to fix it was I went to uninstall updates to Google play services but it wouldn't let me unless I turned Android device manager off as an administrator as the system. After I did that I just pressed force stop and did not actually uninstall anything and it instantly started up again but without the constant broken loop of turning my WiFi on and off. I turned it back on as a system admin and left it all as it was and it is now fixed. Figured I'd give my two cents and help someone else out.

Erns Pen

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
yep, you are right on the money Claytan! It seems that is either an issue with that version of Google Play services or a glitchy app that it's getting location data through Google Play service. I'm gonna update all of my apps to rule out any glitch coming from an outdated app version. I guess if nothing else solves the issue, the only temporary fix would be to roll Google Play services system app to an earlier version (would probably require root access though) or wait for a fix to that specific, unknown app.

Jeepsk8

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
I thought it might be Google Play Services. I checked everything else. Now, how do I fix this? It basically won't let me do anything to it.

Jeepsk8

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
This is what worked for me. I was in so much distress over this, it turned out being Google play services that was itself requesting location repeatedly, now there is many apps that go through Google play services to request location but I had used the app greenify to force stop almost all of my applications so I was at a loss by this point. What I did to fix it was I went to uninstall updates to Google play services but it wouldn't let me unless I turned Android device manager off as an administrator as the system. After I did that I just pressed force stop and did not actually uninstall anything and it instantly started up again but without the constant broken loop of turning my WiFi on and off. I turned it back on as a system admin and left it all as it was and it is now fixed. Figured I'd give my two cents and help someone else out.

I did the above. It did stop the problem, but, Gmail wouldn't work. I kind of need that. Sooooooo, I'll just keep wi-fi scanning off for now. I can live without that.

Justin Carter741

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Note 5 here with the same issue. I saw that the OP switched texting apps. I had recently switched to Facebook messenger SMS and when I went back to the default SMS and restarted my phone it stopped. We'll see how long it lasts

BMWKante

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Note 5 here with the same issue. I saw that the OP switched texting apps. I had recently switched to Facebook messenger SMS and when I went back to the default SMS and restarted my phone it stopped. We'll see how long it lasts

Me too have this Problem on oneplus 3. If I deactivate WLAN scanning the Problem is gone

GoLfWRC

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I have just found my personal temporary fix by these:
+ Go to Setting / WiFi
+ Tap a slider to stop this on/off madness (it will go to completely off or on based on your last state)
+ Tap again to switch from off to on or on to off based on your last state
At least, this is just a fix for now. May need to wait for an update. However, attempting a solution above on WiFi quick setting does NOT solve.

Rekonn

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by Erns Pen View Post
Well, here's what solved it for me (I have a galaxy s5 by the way).

Go settings ==> connections ==> Location (turn on location if it isn't already, of course) ===> "Improve accuracy" and turn on "Wi-Fi scanning" to initiate the bug process.
Then go back to Location, and, in the list of apps under "Recent location requests", tap one and go to "Permissions" and disable the "Location" permission for each one, one a time (IMPORTANT).
If after disabling the location permission of one of the apps it doesn't fix the problem (check the wifi connection behavior), move on to disable location permission for the next app on the list ("Recent location requests"). Eventually, after disabling the location permission of the glitchy app, the bug will stop

For me it was the Contacts from Outlook. Clicked on Contacts from the Recent Location Requests page, switched off Location and all has been fine.

tmmug

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I had this exact problem. I fixed it this way: Settings, location, improve accuracy and turn off wi-fi. So far problem seems to be fixed. I have a Galaxy S5 with ATT. I hope this helps someone.

Perfect. This worked. It had been bugging me since latest NOV 2016 update on Note 4. Thanks man!

lokster

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I had this exact problem. I fixed it this way: Settings, location, improve accuracy and turn off wi-fi. So far problem seems to be fixed. I have a Galaxy S5 with ATT. I hope this helps someone.

THIS! since the oct-nov update. THIS FIXED IT! THANK YOU SO MUCH DUDE!!

Fixed my note 4. i scanned through all my apps and nothing was turning the wifi on except for the high accuracy, that you just mentioned :D

so awesome for figuring this out thanks :D

Im on Marshmallow on the note 4.

japark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the solution. I had given up finding a solution to the constant on/off of WiFi. Turning off high accuracy did it.

Unfortunate that you have to disable part of the GPS system to get the phone to do what you set it to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699