Poll: 16GB vs 32GB Edition

16GB or 32GB: Which and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I will need the 32GB version only when my Play Music and Drive offline storage files become much larger than they are now. So it's 16 for me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have learned I would need a 32GB device. 16 is OK, but I have to be careful.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I really wanted more space but I see I don't really need it. Any heavy games I play on my N7. So I don't really bees it for games and I use Google music streaming now. I might just save the money and get the 16

Posted via Android Central App

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
As the title mentions, are you more likely to buy the 16GB or 32GB version? For purposes of this poll, let's assume that the only difference in the phones themselves would be the actual storage.

I've historically been a proponent of getting the largest (or certainly not smallest) available size. My 2012 N7 was the 16GB, my N4 16GB, and my new 2013 N7 32GB. I've done this because I was worried about the smaller size being insufficient for growth of the OS and a modest amount of installed apps. That was certainly true for the 2012 N7, where the 8GB version sacrificed a fairly large % of its storage to the OS.

Now, though, I'm wondering if 16GB might actually be enough for a reasonable lifespan of a current device. I currently have most of a season of Dexter, a couple of movies, a couple of games, and a reasonable variety of apps on my N4 and, while I could certainly fill out more space, don't feel likely to run through all of that before I'd have an opportunity to shuffle content. And, of course, any money saved by not opting the larger capacity model can be seen as a 'deposit' of sorts saved towards the next upgrade.

What are your thoughts? We don't have internal memory cards, and the 'cloud' is limited in a number of ways - how much storage is actually enough for a device you'll keep for probably only 1-2 years?

I've had several Super Sentai series in their entirety (albeit in the low-quality 3gp format, it's QUITE the space-friendly format) along with a lot of pictures & music on the 16GB memory card in my LG Optimus S. But now...given all the apps I have as well as all the other stuff, even WITH the likes of A2SD++ and a partition, I simply can NOT get all my apps back onto my device. This was why I ultimately passed on the N4. So for me personally, given that KitKat will likely eat up a good third of the available storage on it, I'd have to go get the 32GB N5...because it likely will eat up half or maybe even 2/3 of it on the 16GB one.

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
16gb is good enough for me... I've been living with 8gbs so far...so good... then again my Nexus 7 takes most of the heavy media stuff.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Why would anyone want only 16gig when they know expansion is not going to be an option? Lets go back to the days when flip phones were king and media on your phone was not an option why dont we.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Why would anyone want only 16gig when they know expansion is not going to be an option? Lets go back to the days when flip phones were king and media on your phone was not an option why dont we.

If we all buy 32 maybe they'll take the hint that we will pay for more. As long as people buy the cheap version, they'll make them as cheap as possible.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If we all buy 32 maybe they'll take the hint that we will pay for more. As long as people buy the cheap version, they'll make them as cheap as possible.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

This is true.

The only thing that might cloud this is the fact that the phone is meant for developers who usually just want something cheap to test on and who are arguable the intended market.

ACADM

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Where I live 3G is almost non-existent and where it does exist is pitifully slow, with a maximum speed of 2MB, so streaming is nigh on impossible unless I'm using my home WiFi network.
For this reason I opt to download a lot of podcast and radio programmes from the BBC, and my 16GB N4 usually hovers around or just below 2GB of free storage so I'm definitely going for the 32GB version. I just hope it's not too much over ?300, last time the 16GB version was ?279 plus delivery.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Direct expansion isn't an option for either - if that's truly a critical concern, one would be best off looking at other tablets that do afford a memory card slot.

For those for whom price isn't a consideration, the question of which device to buy isn't a question (assuming availability isn't a complication). For those weighing the value vs their anticipated needs, it bears consideration. If you go to the movies and never finish a small popcorn, the 'value proposition' of upgrading to a bucket for only $.50 more is a poor deal.

brac20

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
If I get myself an N5 I think I'll go for the 32. It's what I have on my current phone and although I don't use all the space it's nice to know I have room for plenty of others things should I need them.

Fr3lncr

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
After trying to live with the 16GB of space on the N4, for sure I would never buy anything less than 32GB of space. In reality, even 32GB isn't enough after the OS and stuff as I carry about 30GBs worth of stuff on my other phone with its 64GBsd card but at least with the N5, I'll have to remove less stuff that I want to carry around.

Really wish they would just give a SD card slot.

ryaninc

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
16gb all the way. I have the 8gb Nexus 4 now and I only ran into space issues once when I downloaded a whole bunch of podcast episodes. So I'll be more than happy with the 16. Plus 50 bucks is still 50 bucks. I'd rather keep it.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
After trying to live with the 16GB of space on the N4, for sure I would never buy anything less than 32GB of space. In reality, even 32GB isn't enough after the OS and stuff as I carry about 30GBs worth of stuff on my other phone with its 64GBsd card but at least with the N5, I'll have to remove less stuff that I want to carry around.

Really wish they would just give a SD card slot.

Interesting thing about that statement is that you've indicated still not being able to carry around as much as you'd like to with 32GB. Thing is, we'd all like to not have to choose what we want to carry, but rather to be able to carry it all.

Once we recognize that that is not currently a possibility, it's a simple matter of determining if the 16GB unit will hold what we need to carry for our purposes in between times we can shuffle content. If it will, then it's just a matter of deciding if the extra $ for the 32GB is worth the convenience of being able to carry more. As an example, I have a few movies, a full season of Dexter, several large games, and a variety of other apps/files on my 32GB N7. Why? Because I can. But to be honest with myself, I won't go through 1/2 the video content, play more than a couple of the games, etc, in any amount of time that would actually make it truly inconvenient had I been limited to 16GB (and yes, I know I'd be giving up more than 50% of actually available storage).

Convenience is nice, but I think I'm falling into the habit of being an annual upgrader (N7'12 ->N7'13, and will be going N4->N5). In calculating cost of ownership over time owned, the base model - since it will meet my actual needs - is becoming more attractive.

It may be easiest to look at it this way: assuming the 32GB model costs $50 more than the 16GB model, and you're looking to own the device for about 1 year until upgrading, the 32GB model would cost you a premium of $4.25/month. Of course, it's bears consideration that you'd be able to recoup a little of that in resale value, but by the same token the savings from going with the 16GB model - provided it covers your needs - would not be diminished, and would provide a nice effective discount towards the replacement.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The only possible argument against more storage is price. Other than that, there is no downside to having the extra space. Even if you do not use the storage, you have it if you were to ever need it.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The only possible argument against more storage is price. Other than that, there is no downside to having the extra space. Even if you do not use the storage, you have it if you were to ever need it.

Well, yes... but that's a pretty a pretty relevant factor for most people, especially for a device they'll likely only own 1-2 years. If I'd thought a little more on it before starting the poll, I'd probably have set up 4 options as follows

1. 16GB model, expecting to replace in a year
2. 16GB model, expecting to keep at least 2 years
3. 32GB model, expecting to replace in a year
4. 32GB model, expecting to keep at least 2 years

Per current results of the poll, about 2/3 feel it's worth the extra money for the 32GB model, while 1/3 do not. I do wonder how each of those would break down if we knew how long people were expecting to keep it.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
16GB is enough storage space for me. mental accounting - i'll roll the extra $50 cost savings into my next Nexus purchase.

Sicong Li

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
It's really depends on if the storage is the only difference. If the 32gb version also comes with a higher capacity battery, I will go with it.:D