Poll: 16GB vs 32GB Edition

16GB or 32GB: Which and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
If the rumors are correct and the 16gb version is going to be $350 I will happily pay $50 more for a 32gb version. Maybe even up to $75 more but not 1 dime more. Not a cheapo but I doubt it costs LG more than $75 for 32gb of storage.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If the rumors are correct and the 16gb version is going to be $350 I will happily pay $50 more for a 32gb version. Maybe even up to $75 more but not 1 dime more. Not a cheapo but I doubt it costs LG more than $75 for 32gb of storage.

$7-8 not including any engineering changes required to make it fit (if necessary), excess supply, etc is a godo generic ballpark. Different companies use different suppliers, but it's not very far off on the BOM from device to device.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I normally would go with the 16GB. I'm known as a cheapass and, ironically, I don't really have a lot of funds right now (you'd think I would, given I'm a "cheapass").
Anyway, I will be shooting for the 32GB for the first time actually.
The main reason I am doing this is because of my experience with Google Music All Access on my Galaxy Nexus 16GB. I've found that I really enjoy using All Access to its fullest abilities, and that means I'm finding new artists all the time and pinning them to my device for later playback. Photos are backed up via dropbox or even google+'s built-in solution, and everything else is fine...but hey, extra storage isn't a bad thing, and I want to be able to pin music to my device without first being hesitant and checking "available storage" like I've had to with my Galaxy Nexus.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Normally I'd go with 16GB but because phones are getting bigger and bigger, I think this will be my phone for 2 years. Granted its not fully announced yet but it seems like the perfect phone for my needs and wants. So I will splurge a bit and get the 32GB, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

naoufalel

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
If your phone can't support extra SD card take the 32 GB because if you don't you will regret it after, if not take the 16Gb because is less prices then buy an SD card, that's what I do with my android devices.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
If your phone can't support extra SD card take the 32 GB because if you don't you will regret it after, if not take the 16Gb because is less prices then buy an SD card, that's what I do with my android devices.

i say look at your current phone's storage usage in order to make the call. on my "32GB" Sprint G-Nex i have 26GB free of 28GB available - so i'm only using 2GB.

as a side note - Internal Storage is much faster and much more secure than is SD Card External Storage.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
i say look at your current phone's storage usage in order to make the call. on my "32GB" Sprint G-Nex i have 26GB free of 28GB available - so i'm only using 2GB.

as a side note - Internal Storage is much faster and much more secure than is SD Card External Storage.

^^

As an addendum, bear in mind that you are likely to find use for more space in the future than in the past, but, as in the case for Gekko above, if you're only using ~ 2GB now, you're unlikely to jump to 20GB in the next year.

And, if for some reason you do, you always have the option of OTG storage w/ a thumbdrive.

Lots of good input from this thread. I think I've settled on going with the 16GB version, unless there's other differences between storage and price to factor in. 16GB has been substantially more than ample for my needs on my N4 - and with my N7 filling most of my general media/gaming consumption needs, I don't anticipate the N5 mandating much more.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
The only possible argument against more storage is price. Other than that, there is no downside to having the extra space. Even if you do not use the storage, you have it if you were to ever need it.
True, but price is a pretty good argument, especially when it comes to the Nexus. Google intends for the Nexus phones to be an affordable Google experience device and an alternative to the high priced rivals.

When I buy the Nexus 5 (it may not be at the immediate aftermath of release), I will most likely go for the 16 GB version. Right now I have the 8 GB Nexus 4, and I have no complaints. If Google releases a 8 GB Nexus 5, I would even go for that. I realize that I'm not exactly in the majority here, but cloud storage isn't just an option for me, I prefer it to local storage. For one thing, with cloud storage, I have access to my files everywhere - on every device with an Internet connection - regardless of device type, platform, etc. I bought the Nexus 4 at a good time, when Box was giving away 50 GB of storage with every new LG device. I have more cloud storage than I know what to do with. Lol

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It would be interesting to see how the poll results might differ if the 32GB was released a month or two after the 16GB. I think the phone-wh0re in me would be compelled to sacrifice the add'l storage.

Zay92

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
32 GB would be nice but I want the "Xbox One" but then I want to upgrade from my Galaxy nexus 16 GB. Even though storage want an issue I'll just have to see once December comes by cause I'm not buying the first batch.

Posted via Android Central App

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The poll has maintained a pretty consistent ratio of 2:1 in favor of the 32GB, but 1 in 3 still preferring (for price reasons, obviously) the 16GB model is still significant. Even though the polling sample is very small, it would be an interesting comparison to see what the ratio of actual units sold will be, a few months in, to gauge how representative of the consumer base our small group of forum dwellers is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174