Samsung Galaxy S3 charging issue

John H3

May 6, 2014
Visit site
This seams to be and issue with the samsung Note 3 but of course Samsung will not admit it. I just finished an on line chat with samsung and they are willing to fix it for free if I send my phone to them with a 7 day turn around. in most cases I have read or seen it is the charging port or factory cable. try a different charging cable but make sure it is 2 amps which are harder to find.

Pavel Jaramogi

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Will the accounts and data deleted load itself seamlessly once I sync after the system reboot? Or will everything be completely gone; coz I know a lot of the settings and such are uploaded to the google account. Thanks

Pavel Jaramogi

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Will the accounts and data deleted load itself seamlessly once I sync after the system reboot? Or will everything be completely gone; coz I know a lot of the settings and such are uploaded to the google account. Is there a way to backup the data in case something goes wrong? Thank

I am having the same issue, I went to Samsung's chat support, this is what I was told, and this was actually the name of the person I was chatting with.

Shaniqua: Please perform the below steps:
Shaniqua: 1. Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
Shaniqua: 2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
Shaniqua: 3. When the device vibrates; release only the Power key.
Shaniqua: 4. When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
Shaniqua: 5. Navigate with the Volume keys to the 'wipe cache partition' option and press the Power key to select.
Shaniqua: 6. After user data deletes, press the Power key to reboot system now.

Shaniqua: As we have performed with wipe all cache, I request to charge the device upto 100% and observe the device, if the issue persists, you can get back to us, we will be glad to assist you 24/7.

I hope this works, my phone is currently charging up to 100% and it seems to be fine so far.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Will the accounts and data deleted load itself seamlessly once I sync after the system reboot?
Based on the post that you quoted you're referring to wiping the system cache in Recovery mode - this won't touch any of your user data; nothing to worry about.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

ViteSandip

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello Guys,
I have same issue, But i Note some things and that solve my issue..
that is, When we connect USB to Phone and unlock Screen guard - that allow to pc to read Phone memory If not then not allow.
When you connect usb for charging, dont unlock screen guard. This will solve your USB Charging issue.

Try This... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Guys,
I have same issue, But i Note some things and that solve my issue..
that is, When we connect USB to Phone and unlock Screen guard - that allow to pc to read Phone memory If not then not allow.
When you connect usb for charging, dont unlock screen guard. This will solve your USB Charging issue.

Try This... :)

agouv1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying to follow this thread for some tips to help me out with my phone's charging, but at the moment nothing's working.
I've changed batteries, chargers, wiped the system's cache, clear out any backout applications running, and I've totally turned off notifications for any apps I have that would give me them -- it's not working.
I've used four different chargers, all Samsung ones, and the only one giving any sort of juice right now is my USB charger with the wall attachment (charging rate is the same whether it's plugged into the wall or into the computer).
I'm on my second battery -- the first one won't even charge anymore.
I've been clearing the system's cache almost daily in order to make sure the phone charges at all. And now, I'm receiving "Error!" when I choose the Reboot System option after clearing the cache.
I feel like I've done everything short of a hard-reset and wipe my phone. I haven't even had this phone a year and I shouldn't be having to deal with charging issues like this.

My phone's been doing this for about...two weeks, I'd guess. I've been lucky that the first two times clearing my cache my phone was able to charge to 100% overnight and the charging overall was at a normal rate. But otherwise, I'm lucky if it's charging 5% in three hours. I was fortunate that last night I was able to get the battery from 47% to 67%, but 20% in 8 hours is a little ridiculous. Most of the time, the phone ends up dis-charging while it's on the charger too.

None of the "quick-fixes" are helping anymore, so what do I even do about this? Should I suck it up and back everything up and restore it? Or is there something else I can do in the meantime? Clearing the cache just isn't working now, so what should I do at this point?

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
agouv1,
How old is your phone?
How are you certain that it is a software rather than a hardware problem?

Have you tried cleaning out your usb port?
Does it charge better if the cord was held in a particular position?
Have you noticed it being 'wiggly' at all?

If it is the usb port there are services that will reflow or replace your charge port for ~$25 if you can live without your phone for a day or more. USB Charge Port Repair Service for Samsung Galaxy SIII S3 Super Fast | eBay

Otherwise, a wireless charging station might be the answer for you.
This bypasses the port entirely.
Samsung put the pins into the S3, but never offered the charging back,
They are now selling a Qi charging pad, and you can buy a sticker antenna that fits entirely inside the phone.

I have been using a Palm wireless charger since I got my phone.
It saves a lot and wear and tear on the micro-usb port.

agouv1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
The phone's 9 months old.
And I'm pretty sure it's a software problem instead because if I shut the phone into airplane mode it charges at a normal rate (suggestion given to me by a friend). I've tried cleaning the port, and the only charger that ever seemed wiggly was an old back-up one I had, and the charger just happened to be broken. Sometimes I do need to move the current charger into a certain position, but thats only with the ones that plug into the wall.

However, knowing that the port could be the problem for me, I may just see if I can get it replaced. If it's that inexpensive, I think I can manage a few days without my phone. I think I may try the wireless charger too. Thank you for the advice.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I didn't realize it would charge normally if in airplane mode.
That seems very odd unless the radio is searching hard for signal and transmitting constantly.
I don't know what else airplane mode does, except shut off the radios.

Sorry if I misunderstood your situation.

mtrules

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
This worked for me!! Thank you, Derek_TC :)

I am having the same issue, I went to Samsung's chat support, this is what I was told, and this was actually the name of the person I was chatting with.

Shaniqua: Please perform the below steps:
Shaniqua: 1. Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
Shaniqua: 2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
Shaniqua: 3. When the device vibrates; release only the Power key.
Shaniqua: 4. When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
Shaniqua: 5. Navigate with the Volume keys to the 'wipe cache partition' option and press the Power key to select.
Shaniqua: 6. After user data deletes, press the Power key to reboot system now.

Shaniqua: As we have performed with wipe all cache, I request to charge the device upto 100% and observe the device, if the issue persists, you can get back to us, we will be glad to assist you 24/7.

I hope this works, my phone is currently charging up to 100% and it seems to be fine so far.

overboost#CB

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Solution:

Slow charging is 99% a faulty USB charging connector.

I have tried brand new Samsung cables, Brand new Blackberry cables and knockoff cables (Not all Micro USB cables are the same)

U Most likely will find a USB cable that will give you a high rate of charge most of the time because the USB port on the device is worn out (ie: ONE MUST FIT EVENTUALLY)

Download For Free: galaxy charging current LITE ( I STRONGLY recommend purchasing the PRO version because it auto refreshes) the max voltage on the app is 999-1000mA.

Open the app (I have the pro) and when you connect the cable to the device watch the voltage (you have to hit refresh on the Lite version) if when the app refreshes and the voltage drops below 1000mA but remains stready when the cable is shifted or the device is moved (Eg. drop to 600mA) then discard that cable.

If the voltage fluctuates as the cable is shifted or the device moved then replace/ repair the USB charging port. It is also recommended once opening the device to check the charging circuit Resolving Samsung Galaxy S3 charging problem.

Also download Battery Monitor Widget to monitor the battery flow. Once the device is charging properly on a 5V - 2Amp charger then the battery flow WILL ALWAYS be green and positive (+918mA) and Red and negative with not charging properly (-634mA)

This is the information i have complied and used to fix my slow/erratic charging problem. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

aikidama

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem, the battery occasionally would fully charge but often didn't charge overnight. Purchased an external mains charger for ?4 off Ebay and this has solved the problem. If you have your phone on 24/7 then get another decent battery to switch with. In most cases the problem seems to be with the phone itself not the battery or charging cable. This seems to be a cheap and quick solution to the problem. Hope this helps...

TechyJew

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Solution:

Slow charging is 99% a faulty USB charging connector.

I have tried brand new Samsung cables, Brand new Blackberry cables and knockoff cables (Not all Micro USB cables are the same)

U Most likely will find a USB cable that will give you a high rate of charge most of the time because the USB port on the device is worn out (ie: ONE MUST FIT EVENTUALLY)

Download For Free: galaxy charging current LITE ( I STRONGLY recommend purchasing the PRO version because it auto refreshes) the max voltage on the app is 999-1000mA.

Open the app (I have the pro) and when you connect the cable to the device watch the voltage (you have to hit refresh on the Lite version) if when the app refreshes and the voltage drops below 1000mA but remains stready when the cable is shifted or the device is moved (Eg. drop to 600mA) then discard that cable.

If the voltage fluctuates as the cable is shifted or the device moved then replace/ repair the USB charging port. It is also recommended once opening the device to check the charging circuit Resolving Samsung Galaxy S3 charging problem.

Also download Battery Monitor Widget to monitor the battery flow. Once the device is charging properly on a 5V - 2Amp charger then the battery flow WILL ALWAYS be green and positive (+918mA) and Red and negative with not charging properly (-634mA)

This is the information i have complied and used to fix my slow/erratic charging problem. I hope this helps.

I'm so geeked to dl that app and try every single brick/cord combo In my house. I can only get a good charge on my s3 from using my nexus 7 2013 charger. I know it's probably my imagination, but I swear that now the nexus charger doesn't fully charge the table the way it did prior to me using it as a s3 charger.

Also, I have a dock charger with 2 spare batteries. I have an otterbox on my phone tho and the swapping battery idea is killing my cases.

Any ideas?BTW I'm a beast with phones. Concrete, water, u name it. 💛 my Defender.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Bella3131

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy s3 charging. I tried lots of different chargers and nothing worked to the point that I couldn't even turn my phone on! I went to Phones4u and the man done a system reboot (I think) and used a new charger which got my phone charging fine. He gave me the charger to keep and I thought everything would be fine, however, now my phone is starting to play up again it doesn't charge at all if I am using it at the same time and it has to be lying flat without being used for it to charge but at least it is working. I would definitely suggest to take it to different phone shops to see if they can help.

Kaylee

carriejack

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Me too. Really happy with the phone - but less than 3 months old and now won't recognise charger when plugged in - nothing happens. Have turned off for a while and tried again. It has started charging again, but for how long and whether it fully charges...???? Strange and disappointing from such a good phone.

notsodumbgirl

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine into the repair center twice now. Both centers blamed the kitkat update. Did a complete reset on my phone, gave me a newer "gave me a new high amperage" charger and sent me on my way. 2hrs later, it stopped reading the new charger. It was using my kindle charger for about 2 weeks (after it stopped accepting anything else) but that stopped last night. Just tried the clear cache partition trick and it's charging but will stop charging if I breath wrong. This is not just an issue of having a bad charger.

joicemjose

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note charging issue

charger of my Galaxy Note is not working, I've to put the phone with charge on a specific position to charge and it takes around 5 hours to charge full. And, battery runs out so quick. Paid too much for the phone, warranty expired and absolutely LOST!!!!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note charging issue

Welcome to the forums!
I've to put the phone with charge on a specific position to charge and it takes around 5 hours to charge full.
It sounds like your micro-USB port is messed up; you could look at getting your port replaced, or see if there's a wireless charging solution available for your phone.
And, battery runs out so quick.
This is too vague for us to be able to help you. If you could provide specifics on your problem we'll try to help. You can read through http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=245406
for some good information on tracking battery life.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sgeneris