terrible bugs in my Gnex

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I run my business through my cell phone and, thanks to VZ and the BB Storm, I've already had the wonderful experience of trying to make money with a buggy phone. Ah, those were exciting times, spontaneous reboots during calls, pulling the battery 3 or 4 times a day, constant Java errors with grey screens when trying to pull up the calendar or contact apps, exchanging phones every 30 days trying to get one that works right.

As much as I want the Gnex maybe it's best, at least for me, to hang onto my D2, which is rock solid with GB, until the bugs with CDMA and LTE are solved.

Yea, waiting sucks but it might be best.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
For everyone saying that a phone being buggy has never stopped verizon from releasing it before, have you thought that maybe, just maybe it is google that wants to make sure they get this right.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Or maybe Verizon's LTE network sucks. I can understand if one phone is having issues, but it seems like every major phone has struggled with Verizon's network. No wonder Apple passed on having a 4G phone.

I hate to say it.
I returned my Razr for this phone, I hate to say it. But the Razr didn't have any problems with
LTE and connectivity.....

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
For everyone saying that a phone being buggy has never stopped verizon from releasing it before, have you thought that maybe, just maybe it is google that wants to make sure they get this right.
Yes and I've stated that I could very well be that Verizon is waiting on Google or Samsung to fix said bugs. We just don't know, but that doesn't stop people from playing the blame game.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

I can deal with bugs....its android there will always be minor bugs. However I can't deal with the major issues some are describing.

But to me, its not a final product yet. Once I get it at the vzw store then I'll expect it to work.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
No one said "Immediately" but 5 or 6 weeks after announcing the phone would have been nice. If this situation is true (and I highly doubt that it is), I'm willing to bet that Verizon will miraculously be able to fix this problem at the last minute at the end of the year. But aside from all this, if the phone was this buggy why ship all those phones to retailers......doesn't make much sense.

Because the units just shipped. Plus they've been ready to ship for sometime. Only way to fix them if they do have issues is with on OTA

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Here's what I don't get - if these major problems really were the reason for the delay, then how come none of the review phones that The Verge, phonedog and the rest of the web got had them?

dubya.t

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
tl;dr: Trust the professional reviews you've been reading. This IS the best Android phone available right now (whenever it comes out). OP isn't necessarily wrong, but he might have got a lemon or is just overly critical trying to stir up some noise.

So the only reason I made this thread was because yesterday i had no connectivity for probably 65% of the day and was very frustrated.

I want to mention that when this phone is working properly it is absolutely amazing.

and all i know is that I really hope i got a lemon bc im about to black tie the out of it

TWISM

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I don't get - if these major problems really were the reason for the delay, then how come none of the review phones that The Verge, phonedog and the rest of the web got had them?

They were gsm models.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
So the LTE radio caused all those other problems?

LTE is a GSM-derived technology whereas WiMax is CDMA-derived. This conflicting technology is part of the reason why:

1) Verizon is trying to obliterate their voice and 3G networks entirely by 2015, leaving behind a pure LTE-Advanced network for both voice and data
2) So many 4G LTE Verizon phones have had so many issues this year

This goes in line with why Verizon is paying you up to $100 if you sign up for a 2 year contract with a 4G phone from a 3G phone. The sooner they can take down their 1x and 3G networks, the better (less conflicts, less hardware == lower priced devices, less money to maintain the disparate networks, etc).

So, in short, yes, it is very plausible that the G Nexus is delayed because of radio problems (whereas in EU it's being sold on time). Furthermore, there is a clear correlation between the G Nexus delay Tuesday night last week and the nationwide 4G LTE network going down. I'm not saying the VZW testers using the Nexus caused the takedown, but the two events could not have been a coincidence.

Reactions: aggie

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
LTE is a GSM-derived technology whereas WiMax is CDMA-derived. This conflicting technology is part of the reason why:

1) Verizon is trying to obliterate their voice and 3G networks entirely by 2015, leaving behind a pure LTE-Advanced network for both voice and data
2) So many 4G LTE Verizon phones have had so many issues this year

This goes in line with why Verizon is paying you up to $100 if you sign up for a 2 year contract with a 4G phone from a 3G phone. The sooner they can take down their 1x and 3G networks, the better (less conflicts, less hardware == lower priced devices, less money to maintain the disparate networks, etc).

So, in short, yes, it is very plausible that the G Nexus is delayed because of radio problems (whereas in EU it's being sold on time). Furthermore, there is a clear correlation between the G Nexus delay Tuesday night last week and the nationwide 4G LTE network going down. I'm not saying the VZW testers using the Nexus caused the takedown, but the two events could not have been a coincidence.

I meant the Android related software issues, not this make believe 4G radio conspiracy. How can these Android bugs be popping up all of a sudden when the review phones didn't have them? Adding an LTE radio doesn't all of a sudden make speech to text pull up my contact names.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I meant the Android related software issues, not this make believe 4G radio conspiracy. How can these Android bugs be popping up all of a sudden when the review phones didn't have them? Adding an LTE radio doesn't all of a sudden make speech to text pull up my contact names.

It could. :p

The software interface to the hardware will be different and that introduces issues that must be handled appropriately. Failure to do so can cause unexpected results. So, I wouldn't discount that the radio could be the cause of the "software" problems.

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
There is no conspiracy. Replacing GSM/HSPA+ with CDMA/LTE is not like replacing your battery as much as it is like replacing the entire motherboard of your computer. Chipset Drivers and firmware differ so heavily that it takes a bit of effort to "port" them over to a different hardware configuration.

That said, anything can go wrong with both the hardware (frequencies and interference, etc) and software (incorrect driver/kernel code) that can cause seemingly random issues to appear that have nothing to do with maintaining a 4G signal. These components are so well integrated (see "System on a Chip") for the sake of small size that if any one thing is wrong it affects the entire system to some degree.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say it.
I returned my Razr for this phone, I hate to say it. But the Razr didn't have any problems with
LTE and connectivity.....

I did too.. and I am a little upset that I did.. I have been using my store demo nexus for over a week and it has dropped data so much .. actually there's more time with out data than with..

The razr I didn't have one single issue with it.. hell I have been using a rezound as well for a week and no issues at all with that either.

I feel like I should have held onto the razr longer. Now today I received my business sme device which is the nexus. I work for vzw. So far this one hasn't dropped data at all which is good. I do believe the op has a lemon.

However. I have noticed that the rezound and the razr show atleast one to two more bars than the nexus does.

I'm very torn. Especially after using all these phones for a week and really getting a feel for each one.. sent back my razr and kind of regret it but don't want to use my upgrade to get razr again after I ate restock fee. I very well may get a rezound. I'm still thinking long and hard about this. But I expected better from the nexus. Its only pro atleast for me is ics but honestly I don't mind waiting for it if it will be put into better hardware

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It could. :p

The software interface to the hardware will be different and that introduces issues that must be handled appropriately. Failure to do so can cause unexpected results. So, I wouldn't discount that the radio could be the cause of the "software" problems.

Makes some sense, as the radio's functions probably have priority over running apps. For instance, if a call is coming in it will interrupt apps currently running to notify that a call is in process, and take priority to alert the user. If something goes awry with the radio, the interruption may be affecting running apps (such as the text-to-speech service running in the background), causing unexpected results.

The radio is the main component of the device. It is a phone, first and foremost... But, this is all conjecture, obviously. But, shows that any argument can be made when no givens are known. :)

sfbates

Jan 24, 2011
www.twitter.com
i am not having any of these "dropped data" problems...

i have had a great 4g signal all day and i even switched between 4g and 3g and it connected back and forth just fine....
and it's been back and forth on wifi, no issues...
ive been running speed tests all day also. getting 32+ down and 12+ up
hhmmm....

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I did too.. and I am a little upset that I did.. I have been using my store demo nexus for over a week and it has dropped data so much .. actually there's more time with out data than with..

The razr I didn't have one single issue with it.. hell I have been using a rezound as well for a week and no issues at all with that either.

I feel like I should have held onto the razr longer. Now today I received my business sme device which is the nexus. I work for vzw. So far this one hasn't dropped data at all which is good. I do believe the op has a lemon.

However. I have noticed that the rezound and the razr show atleast one to two more bars than the nexus does.

I'm very torn. Especially after using all these phones for a week and really getting a feel for each one.. sent back my razr and kind of regret it but don't want to use my upgrade to get razr again after I ate restock fee. I very well may get a rezound. I'm still thinking long and hard about this. But I expected better from the nexus. Its only pro atleast for me is ics but honestly I don't mind waiting for it if it will be put into better hardware

Did your GNex come with the update?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick