Tried and true fix for battery issue

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Some how society did not crumble without telephones and emergency contact methods at 3am. I think society will survive if you turn your phone off

My grandmother is turning 100 in November. Every single MOMENT with her is precious. If she needs me at 3:00 a.m. - darn tooting my phone better be at the ready to receive that call!

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
+1 on rabernet's comment. i can't stand it when people assume everyone else's life is just like theirs.

unreal.

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
This trick completely works. Tested it this morning on my 1750 Seido.

Phone has been on for 3 hours now, 1 phone call, bluetooth on the entire time, mild surfing. Still sitting at 100% battery.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The difference is charging the battery while it is also draining (i.e. "on") vs. charging the battery whilst it is not also being drained (i.e. "off). If you want to see for yourself, just unplug the fully charged phone that is in the on position, turn it off, then plug it back in. If it takes more than a minute (which it will) to turn green, then the battery is not getting a full charge while in the on position. When you turn the phone off and charge the battery, the battery's circuitry is what dictates a full charge. If you have your phone on while charging, the battery meter dictates the full charge reading. You might notice that after doing the "trick" your battery gets better life and that you don't have to do the trick every day. That is because your battery meter has "learned" what a full charge really is. So, those of you who can't turn your phone off at night, turn it off before you get in the shower and let it charge fully (to a green indicator). If you do that once a week or so, you will see better battery life. but if you can, the best bet is to charge the battery with the phone off regularly.

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
@ wavechaser,

Which trick? The original one on the first page? AKA, the "battery rain dance"?

Yes, sorry for not clarifying. The battery "rain dance" trick. I did it while I got ready for work this morning. It's not something i'm going to do every day, but until there is a fix rolled out for these phones, i'll probably do it once or twice a week. It's helped immensely with battery life.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
well my BB does the same, it stays at 100 for like 2 hours but then starts at a normal rate of 1-5% drop an hour depending on use

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
This "procedure" has definitely made the battery stay at 100% longer for me... Luckily I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't need his phone on all the time... Seems like I'm getting an extra 10% squeezed in there...

However, I wonder what this trick will do to the 3500 Seidio battery when released... An extra 10% in that thing and the phone might become... "Self-Aware"... :eek:

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I tried charging in my gf's Eris today. Charge in my device the whole night, with my device off... woke up, green led.

Took battery out, put it in the Eris, plugged in - immediately went to green.

Took battery out of Eris, put it back in Incredible, and took about 20 minutes to get back to green. Thoughts?

Also, as far as leaving the phone off at night, I DO worry that I'll miss an urgent call. Luckily, everyone who I would CARE about talking to in the middle of the night would know to call my girlfriend who would either be with me, OR know to come wake me up.

It is an absolute bummer that this is how things are working right now... but oh well.

As far as ex-BB users missing "bedside mode"... here's the solution I've found to be pretty darn good!

Download "Lite Setting Profiles" from the market. Create a profile that does whatever you want (mine sets screen to always on, dims it completely, mutes all sounds EXCEPT ringer and alarm, turns off BT, etc.).

Then, create a rule - my rule is that the times has to be after 11 PM and before 7:15 AM. Additionally, my rule says the device must be plugged in. IF those are BOTH true, THEN my phone enters the bedside profile. Also, I am tinkering with some "night clock" applications that have a nice full screen clock look to them (as my BB did when it was plugged in). The Lite Setting Profiles app even lets you launch applications when a rule is true, so I have it set to open up the night time clock application - thus my screen is dimmed, sounds muted except ring and alarm, and full screen clock app opened, whenever my phone is "bedside."

Yeah, sweet setup, works nicely, but I can't even use it, cuz I'm currently turning my phone off at night to charge it :( But for those of you who aren't look into this combo, it is really nice!

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I did another test this morning, I took it off the charger, powered it down, plugged it back in. Let it go to green (took about 15 minutes again).

Turned the phone back on, and instead of turning it off again and letting it charge to green a second time, I just threw it in my pocket. The results seem to be the same for me, so I'm not sure if it's necessary to do the "rain dance" twice.

locoman56

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I emailed HTC about this and got this from them today!

My Question: "Hello
I am contacting you because I have the HTC Incredible and think that I have found a problem with charging of the battery. I turn the phone off and charge it and when the indicator light turns green I disconnect the charger for about a minute the reconnect the charger it charges for about another 20 minutes. Then I reconnect the charger and it charges for another 20 minutes. I do this three times, then my battery lasts a lot longer. It does this each time I use the phone and drain the the battery each day."

Their response: "New Response, Hi, I'm Victor, and I will be glad to assist you today. Thank you for this information about charging your device’s battery. This is the way the software is wrote to prevent over charging the battery in your device. The way you are charging your device just pushing your device to charge the battery all the way to 100%. If you have any other questions feel free to reply. You may also enjoy HTC Community - Join the HTC Mobile Phone Community Online, our customer-based forum, which has a plethora of information on HTC devices. I would also like to invite you to participate in a customer satisfaction survey located at HTC Online Survey. I hope you have a great day!"

To me if you can charge it in the Eris or like I do in a wall charger and put it in the Dinc and the green light comes on when started vs charging it in the Dinc and unplugging it then plugging it back in again and the red light comes on and it charges for another 20 mins, something is not right!

Also as I understand it on some of the research I've done most if not all new cellphone batteries have a micro chip in them to prevent overcharging and extend battery life like the one I got, so for me it begs the question, Do they program phones to charge to a certain point to prevent over charging then if batteries have a micro chip to prevent over charging whats the point?

Last edited:

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
the battery has its own hard-coded cut off when the battery is full. and then the OS has its own battery file which is first created during the first few charge cycles. so something is not right because obviously it seems the OS is setting the "full charge" point lower than the battery's hard-coded cut off point.

if it helps, every incredible i've played with at verizon, they all show 4.216 Volts at full charge. but my nexus one never goes above 4.167 volts at full charge. seems like the incredible is slightly higher for some reason. i dont have any of these problems with the nexus battery.

if only you guys could go into recovery mode, and delete the battery file, it would start over and you could calibrate the battery meter again. but you need to be rooted.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I don't believe the phone controls the battery charging while it's off. So the battery's circuitry takes over and allows a full charge. Which is what some people are seeing. With that being said though, I've only done that bump charge technique once and my battery life is much better and I still use the phone just as heavy.

Now begs the question, is it simply battery conditioning and my bump charge just coincidentally happening on the same day or has something actually changed with the phone? I'm still thinking about the 1750 or 2100 when it gets here because having the raw un-metered power coming to the phone still beats out the surety of not knowing how the battery will perform day to day.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
i think the phone OS battery meter is getting calibrated at a lower spot than what the true battery's hard coded setting is, so when you sharge with the phone off the OS is not there to artificially stop the battery charging at its perceived "full charge" state.

no matter what, the battery has its own hard-coded cut off which will not let you damage the battery. so there's no harm in doing that "trick".

what you guys need to do is either root and wipe the battery file in the OS. or do a hard reset nad somehow correctly calibrate the battery meter (the OS's battery file) from the beginning.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall