Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
For cell phones there is a restocking fee.. but I assume in situations like these the restocking fee will be waived.
There is not. It was removed in 2011. I can happily show you my purchase history. Itll show you 6 devices in the last month and a half. Not a one with a restocking fee. If thats not good enough you can call the corporate number I posted a few pages back and they will tell you the same. I was in our regional meeting when corporate removed the restocking fee and it applies to all departments. The only time they will apply it is for special irder items that are not directly aold in stores.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
It is not a corporate policy. Corporate policy is no restocking fees on store sold items. If you get charged a restocking fee then your store has once again made up their own rules. I am still close friends with the regional manager for southeastern Michigan and can guarantee there is no restocking fee.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Once the news broke BB changed their story and told me to hold onto the device until the new notes were in stock - even after I asked numerous times up to the store management level to return the device since I was in 14 days (as well as Samsung was instructing their retailers to return the devices for a refund). No dice.
Sounds like you didn't make it clear enough to them that you were within the 14 days.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
It is not a corporate policy. Corporate policy is no restocking fees on store sold items. If you get charged a restocking fee then your store has once again made up their own rules. I am still close friends with the regional manager for southeastern muchigan and can guarantee there is no restocking fee.

I know when I was getting checked out for my Note7 they acknowledged that there will be a restocking fee.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Then your store violated corporate policy. Simple as that. Best buy stores notoriously make up their own rules. I posted about that many pages back. If you accept that then so be it but it is against corporate policy to charge a restocking fee.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Heres just a few and one was the Note 7. So I cant say it any clearer, do not let them charge fees that corporate are against.

617c2ac0648449090b6f1a5b8e38d4a1.jpg
02352e28194cbd4571871909ec5d0af6.jpg
84c545ae8c74dd917f0ff8e1988edacb.jpg
45dd3faf9dd08a964dacc74190d14cce.jpg

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you didn't make it clear enough to them that you were within the 14 days.
They were clear as *they* told me I had until Saturday (even wrote it down for me) to return it when I brought it in for the exchange.

They were even considering returning it that night because they weren't sure when they would get more in. Since we had a few days left and they thought they might get some in we just held off.

Everything changed when the recall broke.

Not sure why you are surprised here.. I'm certainly not the only one who has reported issues with BB in the past on their exchange policies.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Sorry - not sure what else to say but believe it - BB refused my return.

I've been purchasing items from BB for years and never had a problem returning an item until now.

I actually had brought it in the night before the recall broke to exchange it (surprise - the battery wasn't holding a charge correctly and lost all power) and they didn't have any available. They expected more in the next day or two. The next day I was on day 12/13 when the recall news broke and I decided to simply try to get it returned at that time (when Samsung noted a return/refund would be allowed on all devices).

Once the news broke BB changed their story and told me to hold onto the device until the new notes were in stock - even after I asked numerous times up to the store management level to return the device since I was in 14 days (as well as Samsung was instructing their retailers to return the devices for a refund). No dice.
Best buy does have a restocking fee. It was started back up the week the Note 7 got released I believe. There is a restocking fee for any mobile device. We read it and at my store we let the customer know every time they get a new phone.

However in the case of the Note 7 returns/exchange, there is NO restocking fee.

As far as if all packaging has to be included with your Note 7, idk. I did a exchange today for a woman that was told she needed to bring the box and cords as well.

All Note 7 including liquid damaged, cracked screen etc can be exchanged...even if the 14 Day period has passed.

BB refused to allow you to return your device when you was still well within your 14 day return window is ridiculous... It has to be another reason why they didn't let you intially exchange the phone....maybe you were a day late...or maybe the phone was damaged in some way.

But based off what you said, you said you went to return it on the 14th day. Remember the day you bought the phone counts as the first day. Don't ask me why, but that's how it is. Now if you tried to return the phone the day the recall was announced, you probably got turned away because of one of three reasons...the first being you was out of your 14 day return period, second..news of the recall process didn't come out till later that evening and still it wasn't quite clear and third...whomever helped you at BB didn't know exactly what they were doing, checking emails etc.

Last edited:

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Best buy does have a restocking fee. It was started back up the week the Note 7 got released I believe. There is a restocking fee for any mobile device. We read it and at my store we let the customer know every time they get a new phone.

However in the case of the Note 7 returns/exchange, there is NO restocking fee.

As far as if all packaging has to be included with your Note 7, idk. I did a exchange today for a woman that was told she needed to bring the box and cords as well.

All Note 7 including liquid damaged, cracked screen etc can be exchanged...even if the 14 Day period has passed.

BB refused to allow you to return your device when you was still well within your 14 day return window is ridiculous... It has to be another reason why they didn't let you intially exchange the phone....maybe you were a day late...or maybe the phone was damaged in some way.

But based off what you said, you said you went to return it on the 14th day. Remember the day you bought the phone counts as the first day. Don't ask me why, but that's how it is. Now if you tried to return the phone the day the recall was announced, you probably got turned away because of one of three reasons...the first being you was out of your 14 day return period, second..news of the recall process didn't come out till later that evening and still it wasn't quite clear and third...whomever helped you at BB didn't know exactly what they were doing, checking emails etc.
I tried to return it the 12th and 13th day... Not the 14th.

I had all the original packaging, etc.

The restocking fee is a moot point - it never came up during the process/discussion with BB. If they offered to take the return and charge me the fee - at that point I was ready to do anything to simply return the device.

I cannot state it more clearly - BB refused my return. They were willing to initiate the return before the recall. For whatever reason after the recall - they denied my return and asked me to work only with Samsung.

I don't know the reasons why they elected to not allow me to return - nor do I really care much at this point any longer as ATT stepped up and did the return anyway.

Speaking of ATT - as I type this I now remember the rep noting I was on day 13 when I returned the device to them. I had discussed this entire process with them and they were quite surprised as well that BB wouldn't allow me to return the device.

The process to return the device did take quite a bit of effort (~3hrs) because I was one of the first at ATT to return it under their return/loaner/exchange process.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Time to eat some crap for breakfast. I was informed that Best Buy mobile has indeed implemented a $35 restocking fee again as of August 15th. Apparently the stores in my area have chosen not to implement it and thats why I havent been charged one. So I apologize, clearly I was wrong.

Kansatsusha

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
While I working was there technically best buy always had a restocking fee but it just almost all store disregarded that unless you was being rude or return things too much except on phones. The restocking fee never left their return and exchange pamphlet.

I'm wondering now if the store that not allowing the returns are small box or big box stores.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Is there a separate link/page to indicate the Samsung recall on Best Buy's page?

When I go to the recall section on Best Buy's website, I see no mention of the Samsung recall.

I saw it there the day of the announcement from best buy, but not today.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I returned mine to Best Buy on Saturday. No problems at all. They said they had processed a lot of returns on Friday.