Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the lack of organization from Samsung regarding partnering with the carriers and third party sellers is big disappointment. Especially when people do not know how much danger they are in if they choose to hold onto their note 7's until a replacement comes along. I'm especially worried because I actually bought mines almost 2 hours away from my house one day while we took a trip to Philly. I saw the best buy there had them in stock so I made a pit stop and picked it up since none of the stores had them in stock by me. I've had the problem with best buy before where they make you go to the actual BB location you purchased the phone from because supposedly they can't do returns or exchanges for cellphones at a store you didn't make the purchase from. I didn't think twice when I bought the phone because I was getting the color I wanted and I honestly didn't expect to have any problems with the phone. Now I'm worried their crappy customer service reps will tell me I have to go all the way back to Philly just to do the return/exchange.

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone just gonna wait till they get the new Note7 in and then go back and exchange it at Worst Buy??

I plan on doing that. I'm not going to be without a phone for the duration of whatever madness they still have to figure out.

I'll wait until best buy sends an email saying they have new note7's in stock.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone just gonna wait till they get the new Note7 in and then go back and exchange it at Worst Buy??

I plan on exchanging at BB, but do Smart Switch while I am there. Do not want to waste a whole day downloading and setting everything back up again- 40GB worth. Still will have to redo bluetooth and wifi on all devices and cars again. Bleh.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
The whole process has been ridiculous. I need a phone to use while I wait...and my BB tells me its ok to keep using the exploding phone. I asked them to repeat that a few times to let that sink it.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I plan on exchanging at BB, but do Smart Switch while I am there. Do not want to waste a whole day downloading and setting everything back up again- 40GB worth. Still will have to redo bluetooth and wifi on all devices and cars again. Bleh.

I believe you can make a backup to ur PC with Samsung Smart Switch. I aint waiting in Worst Buy for hours to switch my stuff over. lol

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy had to wait until confirmation from Samsung, which is ironic since Samsung is a direct retail partner at a lot of BB stores. My experience has been good with Best Buy, but seems issues like this are better served buying phones from corporate carriers. Proxies can be bad.

Best Buy though is providing as many options as can be expected now for exchange or return.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
The whole process has been ridiculous. I need a phone to use while I wait...and my BB tells me its ok to keep using the exploding phone. I asked them to repeat that a few times to let that sink it.

Granted the process is ridiculous. But this exploding phone is kind of exaggerated. Don't get me wrong, it is a valid concern.

But I advise you to use caution when charging... And make sure you use a OEM charger. Do not use Fast Charging.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Yup, I agree...was being a bit dramatic for effect :) But if you really read it from a corporate risk perspective, they need to get these all out of the hands of their consumers. They can't be stalling, offering conflicting options, or no options. Worse, when a BB person says there really is no risk and just keep it until the new ones are in. If that person goes back home and theirs somehow catches fire and burns their house down....wow that will be a fun case to follow in the courts :)

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Don't want to be a debbie downer/alarmist, but Samsung has not actually said that you can mitigate the problem by not using fast charge, keeping charging/operating temps low etc. The inherent flaw appears to be a ticking timebomb sort of internal short and when it decides to happen it appers to do so without much warning. I have not seen any official word that you can mitgate it by gentle charging. Not saying you shouldn't minimize stress during charging, just saying that you lure yourself into a false sense of safety by doing so. Personally, I would try to avoid drops or other mechanical agitation that could cause the offending short to initiate. Really would like some more definitive official statements from Samsung on this. In response a reported N7 caused hotel room fire incident causing $2K in damage (no sig injuries, thankfully), Austrailian press is reporting that Samsung has "stated" Australian N7 users (~51K reported N7 users) should immediately stop using their phones. Whst about the rest of the world. Is this just bad reporting or truth? Who knows.

samsungnian

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I picked up my Note 7 on the second day after it was released at BestBuy. I decided to return mine today at BestBuy where I bought my Note 7. My return experience was greate. The mobile staff and manager were very helpful. It took them a good 15min to get things over with. It was mainly, they had to contact ATT to revert my upgrade due to the Note 7 was purchased over 14 days and BB couldn't revert it with their system. Once ATT had reverted my upgrade, it only took BB five min to complete a return. All in all, I like the Note 7 a lot. I just felt that I would wait few months before things looks good before I would repurchase the Note 7.

papashex

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Follow up to my unit return issues post. The storefronts have their act together now. I had no trouble getting full refund / no restocking fee for my 1st gen Note 7.

Feels great to rant up front, but you gotta come back and report when issues get solved.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I agree...was being a bit dramatic for effect :) But if you really read it from a corporate risk perspective, they need to get these all out of the hands of their consumers. They can't be stalling, offering conflicting options, or no options. Worse, when a BB person says there really is no risk and just keep it until the new ones are in. If that person goes back home and theirs somehow catches fire and burns their house down....wow that will be a fun case to follow in the courts :)

Do you really think Samsung didn't have their legal team review their options and if there was an absolute risk - that they wouldn't have made the recall mandatory? As it stands, the recall is voluntary so somewhere along Samsung thinks that it's not a significant enough of a risk to warrant a forcing of everyone to turn in the Note 7. I am sure they've run through these scenarios over and over.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Got mine at BB the day of release only because of the 256gb sd card was included with it on the spot. AT&T wasn't offering it. Haven't had one issue with my 7 since then. guessing for the life of the phone I won't either but still will exchange it when one becomes available. I went to BB site and signed up with my email which they already have to be notified when they come in stock and go in and replace mine. If I don't hear anything back I will go in the store on the weekend to check the status of it.

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
So I stopped in to best buy this evening and was told exchanges would be first come first serve. I asked if they had a better system than that and was informe no..

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Got mine at BB the day of release only because of the 256gb sd card was included with it on the spot. AT&T wasn't offering it. Haven't had one issue with my 7 since then. guessing for the life of the phone I won't either but still will exchange it when one becomes available. I went to BB site and signed up with my email which they already have to be notified when they come in stock and go in and replace mine. If I don't hear anything back I will go in the store on the weekend to check the status of it.

I just went today to the BB I bought my pre-order N7 at and they put my email on the notify list as well and basically just told me I would be notified when stock arrives. I'm also sticking to my plan to not exchange it until I have a replacement in hand. I kind of was hoping that we would have some kind of preference over new orders but apparently we don't. Hopefully it won't matter.

tripleh3lix

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Follow up to my unit return issues post. The storefronts have their act together now. I had no trouble getting full refund / no restocking fee for my 1st gen Note 7.

Feels great to rant up front, but you gotta come back and report when issues get solved.

You were able to return it and get a full refund/no restocking fee after the 15 day return period? I really want to possibly migrate to a different phone (not samsung) at this point.