First impressions (no S-notes)

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
We do have the .apk's for all of the S Note components. This worked on the N7. Unfortunately when I installed them all on the N8 in my VZW store, S Note crashed right after opening a new note. And Action Memo wouldn't show up at all. (See my post earlier in the thread - https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=5940487)

I'm hoping that one I have my N8 I can play around with several different versions of S Note. Praying that will work, or hopefully someone more technical than I (on XDA maybe?).

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out around here for a fix. It's too good a feature not to try and get it. That's an app I'd gladly buy.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Have had all Notes since 2 and excepting 8. Don't believe S pen hardware and software has evolved much since Note 4. I'm a hugh fan of Scrapbook and wish they improved.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, I posted because I doubt everyone has the APK, but with that app, anyone can, if they have an old Note :). Too bad it didn't work on the store model ..

By "we" I meant we of AC - have all the .apk's of S Note and its components necessary, linked to in that post, on XDA, and on apkmirror. It wouldn't be necessary to extract them from individual phones since they're all already available, unless you really wanted to.

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the N8 manual last night, hoping against hope that I'd find some reference to "link to action". For me, like those of you whom have posted here, this is the single most useful feature of the S-pen and the reason that I went back to the N5 after having to part with the N7. I just got off the phone with a Samsung rep and now have reason to hope that we have not been abandoned. She first said that we'd be able to download S-Notes from the Play store but then she dug deeper and found this:

Samsung Notes.JPG

Hopefully the phone, website, and email icons will function as does "link to action".

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
This looks promising, thanks for posting. I also found this screen on Samsung's site along with other Samsung Notes features. Link below:

Samsung Notes | Apps - The Official Samsung Galaxy Site

That's the site that she pointed me to but what I just saw when I clicked on your link was an animation of the icons moving to each of the notes (phone, email, website) when you first scroll down to the image. Now I'm starting to get excited, especially after getting off the phone with Verizon and being informed that they have a new tempered glass protector with full adhesive, but that's for another topic.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes it does look promising. It looks to me like an updated version of action memo. Instead of link to action what you write can be tapped and the action completed. In scrolling the pics, there's the icon with each coordinating written action. There's the blue phone next to the number, email icon next to the email address, and globe next to the email. All we need is the maps icon next to an address! I hope it works how I'm imagining it does from the pics.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the N8 manual last night, hoping against hope that I'd find some reference to "link to action". For me, like those of you whom have posted here, this is the single most useful feature of the S-pen and the reason that I went back to the N5 after having to part with the N7. I just got off the phone with a Samsung rep and now have reason to hope that we have not been abandoned. She first said that we'd be able to download S-Notes from the Play store but then she dug deeper and found this:

View attachment 266605

Hopefully the phone, website, and email icons will function as does "link to action".
Hallelujah!!! I contacted Samsung and they told me it wasn't on the new Note 8. I'm glad your rep dig deeper!

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
What the heck is "link to action"?? Can't remember this from my Note 3.

This is the function that after writing a phone number, an email address, a web link, a contact, or a message, in an action memo, one could click on the 3 upper right hand corner dots and select "link to action". As an example, if I was talking with Samsung and they provided a number for Samsung Accesories, I'd quickly open an action memo and write Samsung accessories and the phone number. After the call ended, I'd click on "link to action" and select "phone" at which time, the phone number would be dialed. If I want to create a new contact, "link to action" would do that from the action memo note. For me, these two functions were the ones used the most. I don't see "create contact" in the new app but can live with "phone" only. Maybe the new app will be gradually upgraded to give us more functions.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I have S Notes on my S8+ and use a fabric mesh pen.

It's a poor substitute for the S pen hardware and software.

But don't let anyone tell you that the fabric mesh stylus doesn't write boldly and without skipping. That's an urban legend.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I downloaded the latest S Note, Easy charts, and Extensions apk. Soon as the Note arrives, I'm putting them on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia