[ROM][ACS]SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2 (Updated 6/20)

dead78

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to SyndicateROM but I've been loving the various improvements I've seen. The one issue I'm having at the moment is that a few of the apps I use are now being blocked. These apps previously had ads in them and Syndicate's ad blocking capability prevents them from being displayed. It would seem, now, that these apps will bring up a message saying something like, "you are not allowing apps to be displayed, so this app will not run" and the only option is to close the app. is there any means of getting around this? I don't really want to buy the paid version of the apps.

qbking77

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to SyndicateROM but I've been loving the various improvements I've seen. The one issue I'm having at the moment is that a few of the apps I use are now being blocked. These apps previously had ads in them and Syndicate's ad blocking capability prevents them from being displayed. It would seem, now, that these apps will bring up a message saying something like, "you are not allowing apps to be displayed, so this app will not run" and the only option is to close the app. is there any means of getting around this? I don't really want to buy the paid version of the apps.

Download ad free from the market and hit revert ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

To add to qbking77's response by doing this it will allow ads to be displayed in all applications. Its a bit of give and take to get around some of these things.

There is a way to hand modify what is blocked or allowed in the "host" file that is located in the ROM. When you have some time you could provide us with some of the apps that were giving you troubles and someone might be willing to modify the host file to still block the majority of the apps and let the ones you want go through..

Most common app in the past that was blocked by this was Words with Friends but most devs have since modified their host files to allow Words with Friends to play.

dead78

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

hey thanks for the advice. incidentally, your videos are fantastic. my wife and I were able to learn so much about the Epic from watching them and your detailed instructions on rooting and flashing the device made the process extremely easy. thank your for spending the time to post such thorough and enjoyable videos for everyone.

and this part is a more general question for anyone who's interested: since the stock memos app has been excised from Syndicate, what app would you recommend in its place?

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
and this part is a more general question for anyone who's interested: since the stock memos app has been excised from Syndicate, what app would you recommend in its place?
I use an app called Gdocs, lets you take notes and sync them with your google account as a google doc.

Sent from my Epic 4G

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
hey thanks for the advice. incidentally, your videos are fantastic. my wife and I were able to learn so much about the Epic from watching them and your detailed instructions on rooting and flashing the device made the process extremely easy. thank your for spending the time to post such thorough and enjoyable videos for everyone.

I use the official google docs app to take notes/memos. That way I can access them on any platform I use or anywhere I go even if I can't (if for some strange reason) use my own device(s) at the time. However you can still install the stock memo app using CWM and downloading the midnight ROM extras zip and extracting the zip on your SD card. Same install from zip option used during a ROM install but no wiping or anything like that since it is just installing the app.

xalky

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I use the official google docs app to take notes/memos. That way I can access them on any platform I use or anywhere I go even if I can't (if for some strange reason) use my own device(s) at the time. However you can still install the stock memo app using CWM and downloading the midnight ROM extras zip and extracting the zip on your SD card. Same install from zip option used during a ROM install but no wiping or anything like that since it is just installing the app.

Dead78, ther goes your answer gor the lost memo.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

funktron2x

Tweakerer
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Heyall,

I know this is the SRF 1.2 thread, but my fianc?e wants to stay on 1.1 because she likes the look and feel better for now.

Problem is, the ad blocking has stopped working for her. I see the mention of Ad Free from the Market, should download and use it? Disable, then reenable, or something like that?

Thanks, and my apologies if posted in wrong area. I can redo elsewhere!

dead78

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
However you can still install the stock memo app using CWM and downloading the midnight ROM extras zip and extracting the zip on your SD card. Same install from zip option used during a ROM install but no wiping or anything like that since it is just installing the app.

Thanks for your response. Can I still install the Midnight ROM extras even if I'm not using the Midnight ROM?

ooh look what I found

Stock Memo (Flash in CWM3)

Last edited:

EpicNewbie

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have SFR 1.2 with latest Genocide kernel 1.1.

With SFR 1.1.0, I used Google Voice for vmail and for making international calls at low rates. In the settings menu for Voice, I'm unable to find the option to use Voice for international calls, as directed in Google Voice Help. Is this missing option related to SFR 1.2 at all?

As a work-around, I installed Skype and when I select a Contact I am given the option to dial using Skype. But, I prefer Voice.

Please enlighten me. Thank you.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
So I'm just reading up on these new updates for the first time in months. I'm still on 1.1. Is there a seamless way to just "upgrade" or do I essentially have to flash 1.2 as a whole new rom in order to get the newest version?

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your response. Can I still install the Midnight ROM extras even if I'm not using the Midnight ROM?

ooh look what I found

No need to have midnight ROM to be able to install the stuff in extras. Basically it is a collection of stock apps and such typically excluded from ROMs for the obvious reason of many or most don't care to have the apps.I keep the extras on my SD card though I don't think I have ever installed anything except app widget picker (makes widget list better for those multi-widget apps), the stock clock app and/or desk clock (depending on which one is missing from a particular ROM), and I used to install sprint navigation until I decided I like google navigation better.

So I'm just reading up on these new updates for the first time in months. I'm still on 1.1. Is there a seamless way to just "upgrade" or do I essentially have to flash 1.2 as a whole new rom in order to get the newest version?

Yes. Check out the video (I forget which of the ROM info posts). Even though it is a guide for going from a clean stock ROM it mentions at the step where you would wipe data that if you are upgrading from 1.1 you don't need to perform the wipe steps. But it is probably a good idea to watch it for a refresher.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
SRF and Launcher Pro widgets

I just switched back to LauncherPro Plus today (have been using ADW for a while) and for the heck of it, placed the Friends (or contacts, or whatever) widget on the homescreen...it worked! Don't know if this was fixed in 1.1.1 or 1.2, but apparently it works now. No repeated FCs like before.

Sorry if I was the last to know...but I was pretty psyched. (How's that for an 80s term?)

mdmogren

May 26, 2010
Visit site
On the lock screen a text message shows up as a missed call.
A missed call shows up as "AndroidCreativeSyndicate"

Oh and the GPS takes forever to lock and rarely works.

Best ROM ever? Meh.. why can't someone just replicate the Nexus S.. that ROM is 10x better than anything I've seen from the "community"

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Hell i did not even make this rom and your post kinda offended me this is not the place to troll

If you are having probs with GPS then maybe you should research it a bit and so on being rude and disrespectful is not going to do any good ask for help if you cant find an answer then post it here or were ever.

I dont normally respond to posts like this but i am proudly using this rom with very little issues far as a lock screen you can change it if you dont like it there are 6 or so you can choose this from baked right in to this rom...

Next time please show more respect they work hard for us to be able to take control of are phones and do it all for free...

On the lock screen a text message shows up as a missed call.
A missed call shows up as "AndroidCreativeSyndicate"

Oh and the GPS takes forever to lock and rarely works.

Best ROM ever? Meh.. why can't someone just replicate the Nexus S.. that ROM is 10x better than anything I've seen from the "community"

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
why can't someone just replicate the Nexus S.. that ROM is 10x better than anything I've seen from the "community"

There's the spirit! Way to tackle the issues. (If you're not part of the solution. . ..)

Let me know how the development goes. If you need some help developing this 10x better ROM for Epic, just give me a call. I'll send some cheerleaders over to your house.

wubba

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I've been running 1.2 since it was released and have had no problems.

The other day the voicemail app appears to have stopped working and now I get text messages when i get a voicemail.......any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:

mdmogren

May 26, 2010
Visit site
There's the spirit! Way to tackle the issues. (If you're not part of the solution. . ..)

Let me know how the development goes. If you need some help developing this 10x better ROM for Epic, just give me a call. I'll send some cheerleaders over to your house.

I'm actually writing an editorial on this now... you should be able to install android like you can install windows.. and the manufacturers need to provide drivers that you can install or better yet submit them to google and have them install automatically via the update system.. just like windows.

All of this hackery is so silly.

almost forgot.. cheerleaders would be great.. i'll pm you my address.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Amazing how one person can stir up all this in a thread... Its simple, if you don't like the ROM or how it performs then don't run it anymore. Leave your comment, be respectful about it and move on.

As far as you comparing things to the Nexus S and its ASOP-Pure Vanilla OS then if that is what you want then I suggest you goto TMobile or Sprint and pick up a Nexus S or Nexus S 4G. The devs and development community which I am a part of both on the ROM and theme end have done a great job with what Samsung gave us to work with.

As far as Android and how it installs and drivers, please take that up with Google and the individual device creators. I personally wouldn't want my Android equipment to run like Windows because Windows is a big old mess and always has been.

Otherwise, ACS and Syndicate keep doing what you've been doing because your ROM has made a great impact on the Epic 4g scene ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware